• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How Much Does Food Effect The Potency Of Benzos and Opiates

Status
Not open for further replies.

the unknown

Bluelighter
This thread is specificly about Benzos but you can respond with Opiates too.

This has been a debated topic among doctors and nurses ive seen. Ive always felt that eating food with or having just ate/about to eat after taking the pills will cut down significantly on the potency of benzos or opiates.

I remember one time way back when, when 2 5mg percocets got me rocked(now id need about 50). I ate a huge ziti dinner lots of carbs and then i took two percs and felt hardly anything and i obviously deducted it was from the food.

I also noticed on my old percocet scripts/vicodin scripts/ and now my xanax scripts from CVS and other pharms say "taking this medicine with food may decrease its effectiveness"

So Yay or Nay?

And if yay then how much do you think it reduces the effectives of benzos and or opiates or what exactly does it do?
And whats your experience with eating and taking these types of drugs?

*Just as a precaution i dont take any pills until 3 hours or more after ive ate or 1 hour or more until i eat (because by then the pill has dissolved, in my bloodstream and kicked in)

Depends on the substance. Oxycodone and some other opioids in fact have their bio-availability increased by eating fatty meals before taking them orally.

With anything else though, I'd eat on an empty stomach as it hinders absorption otherwise.

your up early or late depending. Eastern Daylight Time hear near New York City 5AM

what about taking xanax sublingually..will that make a difference with food in the stomach or does it not matter because its not being absorbed under your tongue and you end up swallowing the residue anyway?

your up early or late depending. Eastern Daylight Time hear near New York City 5AM

It's only 7:11 here in Brisbane, Australia. ;)

Regarding xanax SL: if you give it enough time to let it all absorb under your tongue, then food in the stomach is not a problem at all.

It's only 7:11 here in Brisbane, Australia. ;)

Regarding xanax SL: if you give it enough time to let it all absorb under your tongue, then food in the stomach is not a problem at all.

good to know, im assuming 7:11PM not familiar with aust. time zone but since its half way around the world i would deduct about a 12 hour zulu time difference

not too many people on OD as during the day here in the USA usually 30-50+ right? now theres only 4-8 people on. So most people here probably 70% or higher are from america probably not ak. or hi. lol

what about taking xanax sublingually..will that make a difference with food in the stomach or does it not matter because its not being absorbed under your tongue and you end up swallowing the residue anyway?

When you take a drug sublingually it doesn't matter if it's under your tongue or not (there are vessels all inside your mouth that absorb the drug like your lips, gums and cheeks). I'm pretty sure you also sidetrack the drug from going through your liver where it's broken down more (waste) by doing it this way.

I know I like to take my Percocet right before I eat

I feel like if I take it after a meal, it doesn't seem nearly as strong/takes awhile to kick in. I always assumed that because my stomach was full, it was harder for the oxycodone to be absorbed by them membranes, because there's less surface area available

But if I take it before, it'll start absorbing then the food will kick in my stomach acids and whatnot

At least, that's what I imagine is going on in there

I have no clue about the science behind it , but a few spoon fulls of peanut butter seemed to enhance my opiate high . But for benzos food doesnt make a difference for me

in my experience, it makes a huge difference with benzos. when i take 1 mg of xanax on an empty stomach, i noticed pronounced affects. when i take 1 mg of xanax on a full stomach, i barely feel the affects.

I don't orally dose opiates, and there is no effect for benzos with me. Whether I've just eaten or not, I still feel them just as well. I have no benzo tolerance, that may have something to do with it.

Depends on the substance. Oxycodone and some other opioids in fact have their bio-availability increased by eating fatty meals before taking them orally.

With anything else though, I'd eat on an empty stomach as it hinders absorption otherwise.

agreed.

are you sure oxycodone is potentiated by the fatty meals though? having a half filled stomach has caused diminished effects for me. i know oxymorphone (opana) is another opiate that is potentiated by fatty meals.

i always take my benzos and opiates on an empty stomach (when they're not being injected) because i get the best possible absorption and high im chasing. most of the time when ive had something in my stomach it has definitely diminished the effects in comparison to the empty stomach. it really depends on what im taking and what dosages though as well.

I don't know really, I would have to assume it would decrease intensity and increase duration atleast a little probably more if you ate heaps. I always make sure I haven't eaten for a few hours before I use any drugs orally with the exception of alcohol.

in my experience any pill i take hits me alot harder and faster on an empty stomach also i like to cruch my pills and dump them powder under my toungue and take a fat drink of coffe or beer and swish it around like you would with mouth wash i do this 3 or four times and it hits me harder and faster. also i wont eat for a couple hours after taking it to make shure its all been absorbed and flowing through my blood.. i think when you got a full stomach the pill will be soaked up in the food in your stomach so its kindof like a time release so it wont really hit you til its been digested

Poppy pod tea is greatly enhanced by eating afterward (I used lenny and larry protein brownies which have a decent amount of fat and carbs). You stomach will be more motivated to absorb things when food is in there....

This doesnt work with all opioids, but generally eating is a good thing. Benzos, its depends. Certainly, it is not good to eat a HUGE amount of food with either drugs...

i've experimented with the opiates and fatty food for a bit. there was a month or so where i wouldn't take them without eating something fatty. really seemed to work too.

this applied to oxycodone and poppy pod tea. i would usually eat peanut butter and jelly or maybe go to mcdonalds or something. fairly certain its good fat that helps it though, so the mcd's mightbe a bad idea.

i definitely noticed something. could have been placebo though so i dont really know. nowadays i dont bother and really dont care about eating and taking them. usually the drugs come before i even think about food anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

also, i seem to recall taking the drug and then 15-20 minutes later or more eat the fat, not before. not positive on this though

It's ridiculous for me,I've found, with alprazolam. I won't feel a THING from them on a remotely full stomach. But, when I take them on an empty stomach they work just as they're supposed to. My stomach literally has to be growling, though. The worst part is they give me the munchies BAD and it's insanely hard to resist almost any kind of food. But apparently whatever I eat just straight-up absorbs any good drug feelings whatsoever. And then I fall alseep, unfailingly. So I have to be very careful and fight some food urges if I want to enjoy it for more than like fifteen minutes. Drinking a lot of wwater, I've nfound, makes the nezo feelings a little more noticable. That is, until my humanly need to ingest food kicks in and ruins it all.

Closing this. The thread already ran its course and hadn't had a post (until now) since 2010....

Status
Not open for further replies.