• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is there anything that compares to the Red Bud and Columbian Gold of the 70s?

weed has certainly been getting more potent, but i wouldn't correlate that with weed getting "better".

Yeah fuck the "old weed". Weed is one of the drugs which has experienced an increase in quality over the decades...both of my parents have smoked weed their whole lives (both in their sixties, my dad is almost 70) and they say that the weed (60's/70's) then was garbage compared to what it's like now. Plus there are soooo many strains now...something for everyone.

If anyone doubts that cannabis is grown with more care nowadays, all you have to do is look at photographic evidence.

These were the BEST IN THE WORLD 1977: http://41.media.tumblr.com/h4dx2dHhlmrwj2zxN6AAVqfno1_500.jpg

These are "whatever people feel like paying $80 to get tested" 2015: http://sclabs.com/tested.html

Selective breeding ABSOLUTELY makes a difference. That's why the US Government approved research cannabis grown at Ole Miss has remained approximately 3% THC for the last 30 years, while commercial cannabis production regularly reaches 20-25% today.

But for those not getting what they want out of modern cannabis, I'd recommend looking for something with more CBD. I've had older patients tell me that 1:1 strains feel more like what they used to smoke.

Doesn't seem fair to compare outdoor nugs from the 70s, probably grown under a canopy of camo mesh netting, to indoor stuff grown with hydroponics and HID where the producer can literally pump as much energy and nutrition into each plant as they can afford to. We're probably paying more for this fancy stuff too, despite the fact that there's a lot less cross-border smuggling involved.

I ASSUMe Internet Knowledge Helepd in People Growing better and gettng away with it Like Tips and wut not.

Yeah, good mexican brick weed compares to it. Lbvs. I mean todays strains i would say that any medium thc sativa compares to it.

I understand that not everything goes up in quality over time, but it would be silly to say that technology has not progressed in terms of agriculture and horticulture, specifically the way those sciences apply to growing cannabis. Im sure the blend of THC and other CBD has changed, thus offering a different experience for those who use it as compared to those who used it in the past, but overall key components still remain the same, just at different levels. In fact, if anything we have gotten much better at isolating and boosting levels of the very things that get you high.

I see a great deal of evidence that would suggest that weed has dramatically increased in quality over the last 40-50+ years and not a whole lot other than heresay that weed has gone down in quality. I know some people say that weed used to be way better and yada yada.. but the only people I know who say that are older and kind of stuck in the past.

"Better" is a relative term that relates directly to the user's perception of the experience and very little to the actual plant. To mystify the past as if there was some magical ingredient that no longer exists in the bud today just simply isn't true. Perhaps some could find the blend more pleasurable or enjoyable than some high THC strains today, but it certainly isn't anything that can't be achieved in todays world with, in all likelihood, much less than the old stuff.

Lots of very sensible answers in this thread. As said above "better" is subjective but cannabis now is certainly much stronger than in the 70's.

Try smoking caribe it's a great strain that has Jamaican red hair x northern lights x haze. That is a great blaze strain. One of my top 5 favorite behind Chernobyl. Xp

For fuck's sake let's be honest: nobody remembers what weed like Red or Colombian Gold was like in the 70s.
For 2 reasons:
a) most smokers of that decade are dead, probably of old age.
b) you don't remember this shit. I totally stopped smoking cannabis a few months ago after smoking everyday for years and can't remember what it is like already, much less will I remember 4 decades from now (if I'm still alive by then).

But if you really want to know...
If you really want that mythical magical experience of exotic weed from South America...
Your best bet is that smooth brick weed from Mexico.
Weed started being grown on a large scale in Mexico when dealers realized they could place the source much nearer to the major end market. Besides, you can't grow coca leaves in Mexico.
And they are still pretty traditional in Mexico. They still compress and pack that shit up until it's a shit smoke, just like they did in the 70s with Colombian weed.

Now I didn't smoke weed in the 70's, seeing as I wouldn't be born for another 21 years, but it's pretty much unanimous that the weed nowadays is a whole lot stronger than it was back then, especially now with medical-grade pot and all. I'm sure if someone went from smoking some red bud everyday from the day Jimi Hendrix died to the 1979 Grateful Dead New Year's show, to smoking some of the weed I've tried in the past 2 years that I've had a medical card, they'd have a panic attack.

This is what I hear from the people i know who were smoking pot around that time as well.

Cannabis for the last 15-16 years has gotten a lot better in quality and stronger, and with a lot more THC than it was even in the 90s when I first started smoking herb and what people would call schwag or mids were the only types around, and mid-grade was the higher quality stuff.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/108517-Marijuana-60s-vs-Marijuana-from-TODAY!!!

Some pictures of herb from the 70s:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135579

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36181

For fuck's sake let's be honest: nobody remembers what weed like Red or Colombian Gold was like in the 70s.
For 2 reasons:
a) most smokers of that decade are dead, probably of old age.
b) you don't remember this shit. I totally stopped smoking cannabis a few months ago after smoking everyday for years and can't remember what it is like already, much less will I remember 4 decades from now (if I'm still alive by then).

But if you really want to know...
If you really want that mythical magical experience of exotic weed from South America...
Your best bet is that smooth brick weed from Mexico.
Weed started being grown on a large scale in Mexico when dealers realized they could place the source much nearer to the major end market. Besides, you can't grow coca leaves in Mexico.
And they are still pretty traditional in Mexico. They still compress and pack that shit up until it's a shit smoke, just like they did in the 70s with Colombian weed.

What an absolute pile of nonsense. "Most smokers of the 70's are dead"? You would only have to be 60ish to have been smoking then. I'm not even half that but I know people who are still alive and kicking that were smoking then.

I can still remember what pills I popped ten years ago too. I guess not everyone's memory is as bad as yours... And not everyone dies at 60.

And pressing weed makes it a shit smoke?

Think before you type ffs. You might aswell of written that on the walls with crayons lol.

I heard that Colombian gold got it's color from being sun dried it stacks. This leading to a gold color. Colombian had a mythical status back in 70s as the quality was better than the home grown or block WEED that was around. That's about it the are much better strains now that are better cured and still can have some lineage to Colombia or jamacia. Other than that it's dead. You can't get it and won't find it unless you feel like trekking jungles in Colombia.

I heard that Colombian gold got it's color from being sun dried it stacks. This leading to a gold color. Colombian had a mythical status back in 70s as the quality was better than the home grown or block WEED that was around. That's about it the are much better strains now that are better cured and still can have some lineage to Colombia or jamacia. Other than that it's dead. You can't get it and won't find it unless you feel like trekking jungles in Colombia.

I've heard the same thing about lower quality, and mid-grade quality Mexican herb that was around everywhere in the 90s. The stuff was OK to smoke when that's all that was around and the high quality herb was extremely rare; but the last time I had some decades ago I just made edibles with it.

I know other people who would take the seeds from it and grow higher quality herb, than the herb the seeds came from.

I read the previous posts. I assure people I am not dead. :D Give me 5, I'm still alive, it ain't no luck, I learned to duck.

My brother (RIP) was a weed dealer in the middle-late 70's. I for sure remember the Acapulco Gold and Panama Red, as well as others like Black African. I think the closest we had back then to these newer green sticky buds was Hawaiian Sensimilla. The others were very strong, better than the Mexican dirt weed that was coming in. Bit AG and PR were nice, strong, and a little different to what we see today. I have not seen those strains in 35 years. This thread brought back memories.

What an absolute pile of nonsense. "Most smokers of the 70's are dead"? You would only have to be 60ish to have been smoking then. I'm not even half that but I know people who are still alive and kicking that were smoking then.

I can still remember what pills I popped ten years ago too. I guess not everyone's memory is as bad as yours... And not everyone dies at 60.

And pressing weed makes it a shit smoke?

Think before you type ffs. You might aswell of written that on the walls with crayons lol.

Most probably the people you claim to know who smoked weed back in the 70s are just a bunch of posers.

If you don't know that pressing weed into bricks turns it into a shit smoke, then you don't know anything at all about weed.

Take that "lol" and your crayons, and shove them up your arse.

Maybe you've been popping too many pills.

Now I'm sincerely hoping this thread will become like some other ones I've read on another forum tonight that gave me big laughs, where suddenly 10-20 posters who, like, smoked Columbian Gold everyday back in the 70s, man, can enlighten us neophytes on the pleasure of such a (fictional) experience.

Some idiot on another forum I won't mention even said Columbian Gold came in bales stamped "mexican machinery" as if:
1) machinery was packaged in bales.
2) any Central or South American country would export machinery to the USA, much more so back in the 70s.
No really, this is the best Cheech and Chong made in the 2010's material out there.
Cheech: Oh Chong, how we gonna export all these sweet Columbian Gold to the gringos?
Chong: Just take it easy man, we're gonna pack the buds in bales stamped mexican machinery and the customs people won't even bat an eye.

Last edited:
Most probably the people you claim to know who smoked weed back in the 70s are just a bunch of posers.

If you don't know that pressing weed into bricks turns it into a shit smoke, then you don't know anything at all about weed.

Take that "lol" and your crayons, and shove them up your arse.

Maybe you've been popping too many pills.

Now I'm sincerely hoping this thread will become like some other ones I've read on another forum tonight that gave me big laughs, where suddenly 10-20 posters who, like, smoked Columbian Gold everyday back in the 70s, man, can enlighten us neophytes on the pleasure of such a (fictional) experience.

Some idiot on another forum I won't mention even said Columbian Gold came in bales stamped "mexican machinery" as if:
1) machinery was packaged in bales.
2) any Central or South American country would export machinery to the USA, much more so back in the 70s.
No really, this is the best Cheech and Chong made in the 2010's material out there.
Cheech: Oh Chong, how we gonna export all these sweet Columbian Gold to the gringos?
Chong: Just take it easy man, we're gonna pack the buds in bales stamped mexican machinery and the customs people won't even bat an eye.

I know more than a few people who were around in the 70s and early 80s and they smoked Colombian herb, and they're still alive today.

They said that for the times it was good quality, and commonly available and that in the 70s and early 80s it was the most widely available herb. A friend of mine remebers people calling it 'downer dope' so I guess it was a strong Indica or strong Indica dominant hybrid? I have probably smoked it as mids/mid-grade in the 90s long before high quality high THC herb was available.