• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

CC's vs UNITS....A Basic Guide on using terms correctly

I thought of this thread this weekend when watching Heroin Nation on the Discovery Channel. They showed this old addict shooting up and he said something to the effect of "You take up about 30 CCs of water..."

I guess there really is a need for this thread. :)

I think other syringes used for other drugs in medicine (not by injecting drug users) are usually measured in CCs rather than units.

I get wat youre tryin to say, that the larger syringe barrell sizes dont use units. But, all syringes use CCs,just not all of them break it down into units.

Say that you are using a measuring cup to measure water, and it measures up to one cup of water, 8 ounces. So, that cup measurement, the larger one, is like a CC, and the ounces, the smaller ones, are like units.

But say you also got a larger measuring cup, and it holds a half gallon, 8 cups. (8 cc's for the purpose of the analogy.) The half gallon measure is broke down into cups, but since its a larger amount of water held in it, it dont also have marks to measure ounces (units.) So, you got a 1cup (1cc) measure, and a 8 cup, (8cc) measure, they both use cups (CCs) but only the smaller one uses ounces (units).

Or think of a gram scale. There is lots of kind of scales for different heaviness. They all use grams, but some of them also measure things smaller than grams like milligrams.

Thats the best kind of analogy i can come up with sorry if it sux. I aint tryin to make it more complex i just wanted to find a way to put since all the cc and unit talk can be hard to explain if you dont already understand the thing. not saying you dont understand artifical emotion just that some ppl might not.

So when you say that non IV syringes use CC's INSTEAD of units, it aint quite right since all syringes, IV or not, use CCs. Its just that the 1/2 or 1cc size syringes, use units to break those cc's down into smaller measurements, cuz they are tiny, while the larger ones use only cc's or tenths of cc's, instead of hundredths of cc's (units.) So wat you should be sayin is that larger, non IV syringes use CCs while smaller IV syringes use CCs AS WELL AS units.

A 3 or 5 cc syringe dont need to use units, since its larger and can use a larger form of measurement and units are reserved for when measuring tiny amounts of liquid is needed. How ever , it really aint that common for these sizes to get used outside of vetrinarians and shit like drawing bone marrow, etc.

Hope that didnt over complicate it, i jus wanted to point that out so ppl didnt get confused..

I have gotten into a shitload of arguments over this same point ( no pun intended ).

I have had to raise my pimp hand and get out a syringe just to educate a few people.

good point; i try to point this out whenever i see people say it wrong (IRL or wherever) because i feel the same. it's all about harm reduction.