Bluelight

Thread: CC's vs UNITS....A Basic Guide on using terms correctly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    CC's vs UNITS....A Basic Guide on using terms correctly 
    Bluelight Crew
    If this thread is unnecessary, I know my homies in the OD mod team will do wats needed, but I thought this might be helpful becuz I see so many people referring to units as CC's when talkin about needles, and that could potentially be dangerous.

ONE of those, is ONE CC. 100 UNITS.

The little numbers are the UNITS. So, if you draw up water to the line that says 40, you got 40 UNITS, not 40 cc's. Think about it. Quads and street bikes, their engines measured in cc's. Imagine a 450cc street bike. If one cc is equal to one unit, (not true, but that is the common misunderstanding), in that case imagine how small the engine would be. the size of four needles full of water (in cubic inches.) Maybe that can help some ppl remember, i dont know.

It aint a real big deal, but peeps need to remember this shit becuz at some time the information might make a difference in harm reduction. Say a certain amount of a liquid is fatal. A person who refers to units as cc's might say "oh you can inject up to 10 cc's of this and be safe, anything over is deadly." They meant ten units, but they referred to the measurement wrong. So its really that ten units is deadly,not ten cc's. Well now say the injecter actually knows wat a cc is, so he boots up say, one cc and overdoses. Becuz the person giving the info meant ten units, not ten syringe fulls. Of course that is just a theoretical situation but i aint just bein a grammar nazi when I ask that ppl try and remember the difference here. It might not matter most of the time, but if a uneducated person reading the forums for help reads directions about a certain amount of cc's when the poster is wrongly referring to units as cc's it could cause harm so I thought maybe t his might be helpful in some way. if not , then ban me lol.

2. Collapse Details

one of my pet peeve's hopefully this will help

3. Collapse Details

^True that...

4. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    Thanks lacey.

Most people mean 'units' when they say cc. I like it when people guess at measurements though, that's when people are like "HAY WHY DID I VOMIT THAR!11/ I DIDENT GET HIGH AT ALL!1".

5. Collapse Details

Haha, I just saw someone make this mistake in another thread (probably the same thread that caused you to start this one).

Yeah, people make that mistake all the time. It's annoying. Hence my name. "a100unitSHOT" just sounds better than "a1ccSHOT" lol. But it couldn't be "a100ccSHOT" - That'd kill people.

6. Collapse Details

good idea for a thread lacey

7. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    It might not be that interesting or watever, but i felt like ppl needed to hear this becuz I am so sick of people like 'YA I SHOT UP 100CC's" Oh yea really you used ten syringefuls of solution, ok...

8. Collapse Details

once again, good work lacey. keep up the informin' !

9. Collapse Details

Question
    lacey: to clarify for a dumbass uneducated inexperienced non-US person like me: how many CC's are in a 'unit'?

and CC's are the same thing as millilitres.

never even heard of 'units', for anything.

10. Collapse Details

^1/100CCs = 0.01CC are present in a unit.

CCs are the same as millilitres (ml) i.e. 1CC = 1ml

11. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    Also, with syringes, they make 1CC, 1/2 CC, and 1/3 CC.

12. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    lacey: to clarify for a dumbass uneducated inexperienced non-US person like me: how many CC's are in a 'unit'?

and CC's are the same thing as millilitres.

never even heard of 'units', for anything.
    Look at the photo on top. 100 units are in a CC. Maybe its american, or maybe you dont IV drugs, i dont know. If you never heard of a unit, then wtf do they measure syringes with in the UK? a unit is one 100th of a cc, so if a cc is one milliliter, wat the hell measurement in the metric system means one 100th of a mL? Would it say that on the syringes yall got over there, instead of units? Or are you just unfamiliar with the world of IV'ing, which is pretty much the only place that term is used. I dont know, so i couldnt tell you.

But, I can tell you that the way you phrased your question was funny, becuz asking how many cc's are in a unit, thats like asking "How many pounds are in a ounce" or "how many kilograms are in a gram". The cc is the larger measurement, so it would be how many units go into a cc, not how many cc's go into a unit lol.

Anyways, hope that made some kind of sense in all the complicated "this is that, but that aint this" talk heh

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lacey k View Post
    wat the hell measurement in the metric system means one 100th of a mL?
    There isn't one, as far as I know. Other than a few (like centi, 1/100th), the only ones that go by names are the ones in the series: "10^3, 10^6, 10^9 etc" - each being some multiple of one thousand. The closest one you have is the microliter, which is 1/1000th of a milliliter. So, 1 unit = 10 microliters.

Or, if you wanted to get fancy (overly technical), since centi means 1/100th, you could say "centimilliliter," to mean "one one-hundredth of one milliliter" But thats just two prefixes stuck together, and I don't know if its proper scientific notation. It could also be confusing. I suppose thats why they just call them "units."

14. Collapse Details

Centimilliliter... I can see why they call it units.

15. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Thank you, definitely a critical piece of knowledge for harm reduction that people misuse and it pisses me off too, good call, -Spaz-

16. Collapse Details

Agreed,this is a great thread. Ml is so often confused with units. Many a time in RL Ive heard people say "oh cant you just sort me 20ml" or something similar. Obviously they mean 20 units and the syringe says clearly 1Ml capacity so i think this terminology is commonly confused.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lacey k View Post
    Or are you just unfamiliar with the world of IV'ing, which is pretty much the only place that term is used.
    correct! but thanks for the explanation.

18. Collapse Details

thanks for this lacey, hopefully this will be the solution for people mixing up their solutions.

i've never understood it when people say "i shot 60units of heroin last night" so fucking what, how does that give us an idea of how much heroin you used? that 60 units may have only contain 1mg of heroin they should be more along the line of i mixed half a bag with 60 units of water

i've definitely corrected my fair share of unintelligible people with this phenomenon of thinking 10cc is 10 units and all that shit.

19. Collapse Details

Actually I think that a 'unit' (1/100 of one millilitre) is specifically used with insulin in most circumstances in medecine insulin as insulin is produced to a specific concentration so that 1/100ml i.e. one graduation on a U-100 insulin syringe contains a specific amount of insulin. I think other syringes used for other drugs in medicine (not by injecting drug users) are usually measured in CCs rather than units.

20. Collapse Details

^ Indeed, it's all about insulin. The term "unit" really refers to an amount of insulin, which just happens to correspond to a fixed volume in a certain system. The "U-100" system is standard for human insulin. The "unit" in a U-100 syringe (for U-100 insulin) is 0.01 mL. There are other systems, such as U-40 (mainly for veterinary use), where 1 mL of solution will contain 40 units of insulin. U-40 syringes have 40 marks along the barrel per mL. So in a U-40 syringe, a "unit" is 0.025 mL, 2.5 times larger than a U-100 unit. You can use a chart to convert volumes between systems.

To be somewhat pedantic, I think the term "unit" should be avoided when talking about using an insulin syringe for anything other than insulin. Since a quantity of insulin is being misused as a measure of volume, the potential for confusion exists. Milliliters, being an actual unit of volume, should be used instead. On the other hand, one could argue that "10 units" is easier to say than "0.1 mL" or "1/10 mL". Oh well.

21. Collapse Details

I thought of this thread this weekend when watching Heroin Nation on the Discovery Channel. They showed this old addict shooting up and he said something to the effect of "You take up about 30 CCs of water..."

I guess there really is a need for this thread.

22. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Needle
    Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Emotion View Post
    I think other syringes used for other drugs in medicine (not by injecting drug users) are usually measured in CCs rather than units.
    I get wat youre tryin to say, that the larger syringe barrell sizes dont use units. But, all syringes use CCs,just not all of them break it down into units.

Say that you are using a measuring cup to measure water, and it measures up to one cup of water, 8 ounces. So, that cup measurement, the larger one, is like a CC, and the ounces, the smaller ones, are like units.

But say you also got a larger measuring cup, and it holds a half gallon, 8 cups. (8 cc's for the purpose of the analogy.) The half gallon measure is broke down into cups, but since its a larger amount of water held in it, it dont also have marks to measure ounces (units.) So, you got a 1cup (1cc) measure, and a 8 cup, (8cc) measure, they both use cups (CCs) but only the smaller one uses ounces (units).

Or think of a gram scale. There is lots of kind of scales for different heaviness. They all use grams, but some of them also measure things smaller than grams like milligrams.

Thats the best kind of analogy i can come up with sorry if it sux. I aint tryin to make it more complex i just wanted to find a way to put since all the cc and unit talk can be hard to explain if you dont already understand the thing. not saying you dont understand artifical emotion just that some ppl might not.

So when you say that non IV syringes use CC's INSTEAD of units, it aint quite right since all syringes, IV or not, use CCs. Its just that the 1/2 or 1cc size syringes, use units to break those cc's down into smaller measurements, cuz they are tiny, while the larger ones use only cc's or tenths of cc's, instead of hundredths of cc's (units.) So wat you should be sayin is that larger, non IV syringes use CCs while smaller IV syringes use CCs AS WELL AS units.

A 3 or 5 cc syringe dont need to use units, since its larger and can use a larger form of measurement and units are reserved for when measuring tiny amounts of liquid is needed. How ever , it really aint that common for these sizes to get used outside of vetrinarians and shit like drawing bone marrow, etc.

Hope that didnt over complicate it, i jus wanted to point that out so ppl didnt get confused..

23. Collapse Details

good post lacey k, sticky!

24. Collapse Details

^^^
    HAHA, we already have like 10 stickies already...

25. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I have gotten into a shitload of arguments over this same point ( no pun intended ).

I have had to raise my pimp hand and get out a syringe just to educate a few people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast