• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Why You Need to Monitor Your Online Reputation

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
Why You Need to Monitor Your Online Reputation

Posted April 13, 2009

A couple of times every month I browse on over to Google and search for my own name to see what the results will bring. After I’ve done that, I type in the name of my website and run the search engine again.

Checking your online reputation like this is something that every freelancer should do on a regular basis. I wouldn’t recommend stopping with Google, either. You should also check on Twitter and on other social media sites.

While it might seem vain to search for yourself online, it’s actually an important step in protecting your online reputation. If you do business online, then you not only be checking on but also working to protect and manage your online reputation.
What You Can Learn From Your Online Reputation

Every time you search for your own name on Google or Twitter, you can learn several important things:

* What people are saying about your business. If you have an unhappy customer, it’s possible they won’t express that dissatisfaction to you. Instead, they may blog about their dissatisfaction or comment negatively about your work on other sites. Sometimes, untruths and misinformation are spread about your company online without your knowledge.
* Whether your work is being used without permission. As a freelance writer, my work is often “scraped” by plagiarists and used on other sites without my permission. Many plagiarists are careless about stealing my work — often my name remains with the piece. A quick search can turn up my articles on sites that I never submitted them to.
* Whether someone else is using your personal or business name. As a freelancer, your name and your business name are important. But, are you the only one using your name? With a few quick searches, you can determine who is using your name online. If another individual or business has the same name, how are they using that name? Do they appear to be reputable?

What To Do If Your Online Reputation Is In Trouble

Fortunately for me, I haven’t experienced any severe complaints or untruthful information, although I often run across sites that have “borrowed” my work without asking. I share my personal name with several other individuals and a popular television character –- but fortunately that has not affected my freelancing career.

However, not all freelancers are so lucky. If you find that you do have a problem with your online reputation, then you have several options:

1. Ignore It. If you have a dissatisfied customer or find that someone has stolen your work or is spreading misinformation, you can look the other way. Perhaps the offending person will stop their activities or the plagiarist will take the stolen material down. If the complaint is minor or if the poster doesn’t look credible, ignoring the problem might be the best solution.
2. Confront It. Another option if you find that someone is posting negative information online is to confront the negative poster directly. Contact them and ask them why they posted what they did and ask what you can do to make it right. This approach can be particularly effective with former clients who have legitimate complaints with the service they received.
3. Get Help. If your problem is too large or you are facing a particularly aggressive onslaught of false information, then you should get professional help. There are companies that specialize in online reputation management services that range from monitoring your reputation to correcting misinformation to taking legal steps (if needed).

I know several of you aspire to have some graphical arts work in your future, so this information may apply to protecting your work in that regard. However, I've posted this as a general reminder to all readers to be active in protecting their reputation. There are things you can do to improve your future, so I would encourage each of you to do so - you never know when something will come back to bite you in the ass :\

Most "respectable" forums won't allow anyone to voice their to negative complaints about a person as the site owner can get done for slander.
Worth keeping in mind to.

It's just as important to goggle search your own email address. Knowing a person's email address can, at times, lead you to places where the person has used such an email address either to sign up or for contact information. For example, you can search people on MySpace through email addresses. You could also run across something like

OMG like me and Redleader rolled last night at club Rolling, and it was soo ecstastic!! It was great seeing him, I know not many of us have seen him in a while. I think his email address is ______ you should say hi!

If this is on someone's MySpace Comments, when the profile is set to public, that stuff comes up on google. Here, Redleader's f*cked.

Make a professional email address and do NOT give it to friends nor family nor anybody bar professional contacts. It's an imperative in our modern world.

Also, google search your name and email address on google images and videos too, as well as YouTube.

Most "respectable" forums won't allow anyone to voice their to negative complaints about a person as the site owner can get done for slander.
Worth keeping in mind to.

The Safe Harbor provisions of the DMCA would protect the site owner, under US law.

The internet is a passing fad, like boy bands or reality TV shows.

So go crazy!@

I regularly google my own name and I try to choose pretty generic names for screen names. I'm pretty careful about publishing my full name anywhere outside of Facebook or something. I enjoy my privacy and anonymity.

Heh, I just did mine....first results was "[my name] in child support" ;)

First hit used to be my website, but there's a snowboarder with my name, and he's gradually getting more famous and getting more of an online presence, so he's kicking my ass. As are a few others. My first hit is bottom of page 4 now.

I googled my name and my facebook came up first.
So many cool pics came up too.. wow.. :D

It's also a good idea not to use the same username or avatar at different sites (like message boards) either. Throughout my message board readings between drug related sites, I've been able to "notice" other folks from several places by seeing their same avatars or usernames.

Luckily, when I google my real name nothing comes up. I never (ok maybe once) use the same username/avatar twice....and the usernames I choose aren't very unique and rather common, so by googing "seconal" will not bring up any of my info elsewhere.

I googled my name and my facebook came up first.
So many cool pics came up too.. wow.. :D

That's the thing I hate about Facebook....

A few years ago, someone invited me to join and without thought, while filling in my info - I entered my real name. Althought I never was a "facebook" fan and was never at that site except to add people who sent me invitations, I didn't know that your info was publicly published online - because some sites only let people who are already members view the profiles and they don't show up in search engines.

So, one day I googled myself and my profile was listed at the top of the search. I logged into Facebook and changed my last name. Then, I was banned from the site for being "frauduelent"....wtf?

Yea that facebook thing upsets me too, I tried changing my last name to just my last initial or something and it wouldnt let me.

I just did a google search for my name and mostly stuff from high school comes up, which is fine with me, and a search for my email doesnt bring up anything. Sweet. So far, so good :)

It's okay, I don't mind. What does it matter if people can see your facebook? I wouldn't put anything out there on the net that I would be afraid for the whole world to see, myself.

FYI: Stay off of elance if you are a designer or writer. Most of the jobs, especially on the weekends, are people demanding free samples who will take your work and never pay you.

Also, a colleague of mine had her logo stolen by another elance user. Be very careful on that site. It's a bunch of scammers.

It's okay, I don't mind. What does it matter if people can see your facebook? I wouldn't put anything out there on the net that I would be afraid for the whole world to see, myself.

Exactly! Whatever I put on there, I am comfortable with the whole world seeing.

Haha I just googled my real name and my username. Nothing of particular interest came up. In fact, there's another girl with exactly the same name as me in the US somewhere so all the hits came up with her stuff. And my username just brought up my youtube account and some of the forums I frequent.

Boring!!! =D

That's the thing I hate about Facebook....

A few years ago, someone invited me to join and without thought, while filling in my info - I entered my real name. Althought I never was a "facebook" fan and was never at that site except to add people who sent me invitations, I didn't know that your info was publicly published online - because some sites only let people who are already members view the profiles and they don't show up in search engines.

So, one day I googled myself and my profile was listed at the top of the search. I logged into Facebook and changed my last name. Then, I was banned from the site for being "frauduelent"....wtf?

WHat determines where something comes up on a google search?

When I google my name, my facebook comes up as the number one response. Yet when I google my friends names, none of theirs comes up at all, at least not on the first couple pages.

I have been trying to figure out why this is. I would think my page shouldn't come up first, as my name, Andi Loveall, is the same as 4 smaller words ("And I, love all") which are commonly used in the middle of a sentence. Almost all the other entries which came up were things like "And I love all those blah blah that did this or that"..

So what determines where something comes up on google? lol this is tripping me out. I must know. I googled ALL of my friends today and none of their facebooks come up!

I suspect it's maybe in chronological order of the most recent activity??

Apparently it's not that simple. I found this:

Google uses a mathematic formula called an algorithm to determine a particular sites search engine results. This formula has around two hundred components, each looking at a specific part of what Google feels is important to establish a ranking for a particular website as it pertains to specific key word searches. Parts of the formula carry more weight than others. Individual teams work on individual segments of the formula, refining it, tweaking it, changing it in an attempt to give only the best and most relevant results when a search is performed.
Website traffic is a part of the equation, but it carries only a small portion of the overall trust ranking.
Meta tags are one fraction of a part of this process. Meta Titles play a good role and have a fair amount of weight in the process. Meta Keywords by comparison have almost no significant weight in the process because they have been so misused over the years Google has turned that to count far less than it once did.
There are "Off Page" factors such as who on the web is pointing to you. (links) Links from reputable sites that have something in common with yours can add significant trust to your sight. Links from less reputable sites, sites in different countries, sites that Google has internally flagged as spam sites will lower your trust ranking and hurt your results.
"On Page," factors include to some extent key word usage, density and phraseology. If other sites that rank well in your desired keywords, use words in a certain order and your site doesn't, you won't do as well. For instance if you want to rank well for "used cars," and you say, "check out our autos that are already discounted because they are used..." don't expect it to work well for you.
Other things Google takes in to consideration is the age of the domain, Who owns it, the history of the site. (note: just buying an old domain name does not help. If you are the new owner your trust ranking usually starts over from zero) If the person that owned that domain previously was using bad SEO practices, it can help the domain to change hands however it does not insure that Google will just forgive and forget. Thus if you buy a domain name it may be good to check out the history first.
Where the website is hosted is also a factor. It may be cheaper to have your website hosted on a main frame in some other part of the world but because of massive amounts of spam and false links have tried to fool Google from out of country, sites hosted in the USA rank better here than those sites from out of country. Likewise if you are trying to rank well in the UK, a site hosted there will do better there.
Is it hopeless? By no means. It just takes time and practice doing the things that prove to Google you deserve to be considered relevant to rank well in a search.
In order to out rank the number one guy, you are going to have to broaden the scope of your attack.

Haha cool! I got the number one spot without having to do anything! Now I just have to use it to advertise my name and use it to promote something. lol