• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and the occult

Not to come across as a smartass here, because you genuinely have got me interested in your perspective of magic and summoning, but if all it takes is belief then what is the purpose of any technique whatsoever, could you not just sit there believing what you wanted to happen would happen without uttering a word or moving a finger?

I am also curious to what you believe the limitations to this are, why wouldn't practioners of magic just believe they were going to win the lottery and other prizes and fortunes if it was merely a belief that rendered something possible?

Or is it only summoning that this belief relates to? From what I have been reading the last few days, summoning seems to be a very small, if not insignificant part of magick, although I may be interpreting it wrong as I am the first to admit I have zero knowledge on the subject. There is all this stuff about sigils, which I don't understand the relevance of, and plenty of banishing things, I am not certain exactly what they are banishing or why.

I have to admit this thread has provoked a bit of curiosity in these beliefs, I have read on different religions even though I am atheist and although I doubt I would ever be convinced that magick was real, I am interested in others rationale and experience. As far as personal experimentation goes however, I still only want to attempt a summoning spell whilst intoxicated on a nice dose of psilocybe subaeruginosa.

Shit this post ended up kinda long.

my worst experience:

1997, June 19th
Drug: DXM
Dose: Plateau Sigma regime from the FAQ, combined with nicotine withdrawal
God: Xochipilli, Aztec lord of dance and ecstasy
Setting: Gay pride

So, I did the drugs, all day, copal incense, chanting, not much really, but heavy DXM. After six hours I decide to walk back to where I'd parked, in a vacant lot. On the way, I stumble and fall on some gravel that pierces my palms, so that I'm bleeding, stigmata style. Once there I sit and meditate some more, then try to stand. A that point, a giant hand grabs me and throws me violently down on the asphalt, spread eagle under the stars. When I wake up and try to stand, it happens again, knocking me out. This continues ALL NIGHT. I can't even sit up without being flung back to the ground. And yes, Xochipilli is there and he's the one doing this - he is HUNGRY and lah, as I'd forgotten, Aztec gods EAT PEOPLE. Toward dawn this homeless guy comes to check me out, and I beg him for a cig, which he gives me. The nicotine effectively shuts down the trip. I survived with weird square bruises on my sides and a concussion.

Lesson: DON'T FUCK WITH AZTEC GODS.

^That's odd cuz Xochipilli is the god of art, dance, beauty, love & lite n' all that. :D You would think he would be nicer.

Not to come across as a smartass here, because you genuinely have got me interested in your perspective of magic and summoning, but if all it takes is belief then what is the purpose of any technique whatsoever, could you not just sit there believing what you wanted to happen would happen without uttering a word or moving a finger?

I am also curious to what you believe the limitations to this are, why wouldn't practioners of magic just believe they were going to win the lottery and other prizes and fortunes if it was merely a belief that rendered something possible?

Or is it only summoning that this belief relates to? From what I have been reading the last few days, summoning seems to be a very small, if not insignificant part of magick, although I may be interpreting it wrong as I am the first to admit I have zero knowledge on the subject. There is all this stuff about sigils, which I don't understand the relevance of, and plenty of banishing things, I am not certain exactly what they are banishing or why.

I have to admit this thread has provoked a bit of curiosity in these beliefs, I have read on different religions even though I am atheist and although I doubt I would ever be convinced that magick was real, I am interested in others rationale and experience. As far as personal experimentation goes however, I still only want to attempt a summoning spell whilst intoxicated on a nice dose of psilocybe subaeruginosa.

Shit this post ended up kinda long.

Well, belief is a big part of it, but you also need to know what the fuck is going on. One can believe they're good at guitar, but they need to actually play in order to make music. And playing music you feel in touch with has a greater impact, usually.

I stumble and fall on some gravel that pierces my palms, so that I'm bleeding, stigmata style.

Just want you to know that the same *exact* thing happened to me in a very powerful dream a couple years ago. I was running, not walking, but still.

Sorry, it's a bit unrelated. Carry on!

Omg, that made me sound like a dumbass, then I didn't mean tasmanian devil but something that sounds like that... The Jersey Devil.. I think thats it

Must admit that I don't believe in demons etc (the other side of the coin from being an athiest), but the potential for severe psychiatric trauma in people who either believe or are undecided is very real. In severe cases, that sort of trauma can result in such a severely distressed state that in very severe cases, people can actually think themselves to death. That's been observed among tribal peoples where someone believes they have been cursed by the local shaman/witchdoctor and they basically believe it so strongly that they effectively give up the will to live, lie down & simply die.

Belief when it comes to such things can produce results that are almost beyond comprehension, but it's been proved (well statistically - you know the Mark Twain quote "there are lies, damn lies & statistics" :) ) that attitude/belief/state of mind can have really dramatic effects on the outcome of diseases like cancer. People who go in for such things as visualization have a significantly better chance of recovering from cancer than someone who believes they have no chance of recovery due to the effect of the state of mind on the immune system. Psychosomatic effects are the product of a state of mind and some can be so powerful as to make the difference between sanity/madness, being healthy/ill or even life or death in the most extreme cases

Good post. I really think mysticism is not something to dabbled in by people who are not very strong and grounded mentally. You can get a lot more than you bargained for when you go knocking at that door.

I think there are a lot of people who handle psychedelics just fine in a purely fun, recreational setting, where they're easily able to compartmentalize what's being done to their reality to the realm of entertainment, who would wish they'd never touched these substances if exposed to them in an explicitly religious or magickal setting.

psychedelics and the occult go hand in hand. all my trips are influenced by pagan rites and rituals. incense, candles, the pentacle, zodiacs, the three faced goddess, hecate

psychedelics bring you in contact with the gaian mind, the pagan mind, the sacred earth goddess

Paganism. I thought it was some sort of religion. But I know the stuff that he was talking about and it interests me. I've been told paganism is something entirely different, like this religion where they believe sometime in the future that this pyramid thing, or structure will appear and take us away to a new world or something.

That's the Illuminati, bro. Apples and oranges.

Pagan isn't A religion. It comes from a Latin word that means 'from the countryside', and just refers to any native, folk religious belief or practice that predates, and contrasts with, the big established world religions.

Pagan beliefs and practices are alive and well, in small quiet pockets, all over the world. There are, and have always been, MANY religious groups that are 'pagan'. They vary a lot in terms of quality and depth of spirituality, and in terms of the influences they sport. Some are doubtless very fitting places for psychedelic drug use. Some not at all. Research ANY group that mixes religion or magick and drugs VERY WELL before you partake. If anything about their literature and beliefs, or the people in attendance, make you feel a little 'iffy', don't get involved.

Think about it -- you wouldn't do psychedelics recreationally in the company of people who made you uncomfortable. That's one of the golden rules of psychedelic use. Combine this with a setting that's explicitly metaphysical, and you've got the potential for a very existentially traumatic experience.

^ I didn't realize Pagan was an occult 'religion'. That stuff interests me.

as MyDoorsAreOpen said, paganism isn't a single religion at all but a collective term for (usually) nature based 'religions.' From ayahuasca rituals in the south american rainforest to the old ways of the greek pantheon to the iboga rituals of the bwiti: all of these things are pagan.

As for the occult, pagan and the occult go hand in hand because many occultic images and ideas are rooted in pagan beliefs that have been stamped out or demonized. Such as the image of a devil with horns and hooves. This isnt a satanic/occultic image, but pagan imagery (fertility symbols of the goat) demonized and made into an image that an opposing religion (christianity) can rally against. Same goes for witches of midievel Europe. These were mostly herbal women of the hedgerow who understood the many powers of plants and were medicine workers: in other words, shamans.

I think in many ways the whole idea of occult is drawn from misconceptions about pagan ideas. I have looked for ghosts under the influence of mushrooms during samhain (the night the spirit realm and living realm are closest) and what I learned was our concept of ghosts is a flawed understanding of the spirit-realm, which is really a place of nature spirits, not the dead.

In short, modern day pagans draw on many different old, lost, and esoteric religions of the past.

Tantric, have you considered the possibility that it was the DXM having an adverse effect on your motor control? It seems strange that a so called "friendly spirit" would attack you like that, also wouldn't it happen when you summoned it instead of a period of time later?

Have to say, we're all already intimately tied in what people have always called magic or the occult or even voodoo. I assert its a simple fact of life.

If you want to live well it makes sense to understand the things that influence the thoughts and actions of those around you and yourself.

And to that end, psychedelics can often be an unnecessary complication. I'm pretty damn sure the best way to learn about magic is to give yourself a break from media devices, and devote that attention to noticing how you feel and how your friends and family feel. The weird world hides itself from those who are in the act of consuming entertainment. I think while consuming 'media' we become subject to magic, rather than practitioners of it.

Crazy???

Paganism is a term used to describe many earth/gaian/olde-gods religion. Basically, the religions that existed or pertain to pre-christian beliefs. Usually polytheistic too.

I wouldn't call paganism occult, unless it is :D Wotanism isn't very occult; but something like Wicca is. Then again, wicca doesn't really mean anything so....

My own view on demons is that they DO exist; however, as with creatures such as machine elves, they can be seen either as aspects of ones own self, or (if you want) autonomous beings. Certainly believeing in the latter makes it seem so, for many.....But magick isn't really about casting spells as much as focusing of will and intent. Anytime we make a decision and create/destroy, we use some form of magick....

Then again, there could be an entire pantheon of gods and demons controlling every aspect of the world....All I know is when I summoned Marduk with some butane and oujia board and asked him his wifes name, the glass moved to I...for Ishtar.

hehe, I used to call my cat baby ishtar when he was a kitten, now hes like 4 and I call him charmin. Like the toilet paper.

Tantric, have you considered the possibility that it was the DXM having an adverse effect on your motor control? It seems strange that a so called "friendly spirit" would attack you like that, also wouldn't it happen when you summoned it instead of a period of time later?

Even friendly Aztec gods demand human sacrifice. I actually finished the ritual in the parking lot - i saw the heavens break open into 4D space, etc as I reached plateau sigma. And it wasn''t falling - I could just sit up, then be flung back down.

The point of the ritual was that I believed, at the time, that NYC would be struck with 2 nukes in 1999 and start WWIII, per Nostradamus. I was seeking help to stop that - contacting like minded entities throughout the galaxy via Xochipilli. It never occurred to me to that I would have to die to accomplish the goal.

On the other hand, the attack was delayed a few years and wasn't nuclear. So maybe it worked. If it did work, I would in fact have died to accomplish that goal.