• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Anti-Drug Video Game

Red Eyed Wanda, what about the South Park episode where the parents pay this company to set up actors to enter their kids lives as their future selves and tell them horrible stories about how they got addicted to drugs so that their kids wont try drugs. That was classic!

A sincere request for assistance

Back in April, you ran a piece (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=7042104) about my NIDA-funded grant to create a video game to teach kids about substance abuse. I got fairly skewered on the comments. And perhaps rightfully so - the program does seem like it will be spending an awfully lot of money for something that may not turn out so great.

But I am doing my best to avoid such a failure. And to that end, I have a sincere request to ask from you.

I have just made a post to my site that issues a challenge to your readership:

http://www.mimhtraining.com/webtrainings/2009/10/06/substance-abuse-educational-video-game/

In the post, I ask folks to review the plans for my game and to make suggestions for how I could make improvements. I'll be awarding a $100 iTunes gift certificate on November 2 to the individual who leaves a comment on my site with the best suggestion.

I would be grateful for your willingness to post this information to your site and mobilize your readership to make a difference.

Peace.

Joel

--------
Joel Epstein, PhD
Director, Continuing Education
c/o Missouri Institute of Mental Health
5400 Arsenal
Saint Louis, MO 63139

Welcome to Bluelight! :) I commend you on your search for constructive criticism.

I just browsed over everything briefly. That seems like a lot of information to be giving 4th and 5th graders!

Why pigs by the way? heheheh.

I'll return later to give it a more in depth look.

Last edited:
It seems that this game is more set on teaching how the brain and drugs interact than some biased video game that I would expect. I suggest upgrading this game to the 8th grade level...

Joel, I don't see any way of making this idea into a good one.

Any game that's "educational" usually gets the lowest ratings.

Even kids can smell propaganda.

Did you read the outline? It doesn't seem like brain washing so much as putting out accurate information. Seems pretty objective to me.

agreed. if the game adheres to the outline it will be quite accurate. but i can't imagine how this is going to be turned into a game that interests most teenagers. i would have liked it back then, but i actively searched the internet for all that information and eventually chose to study something related... 8)

I for one can't wait to play the 'shoot holes in the ecstacy users brain' mini-game =)

*edit* I read the comments, sooo I'm guessing I will only be able to play that mini-game if the project gets final NIDA approval and the concept they are working towards gets totally raped =) lol doesn't seem like the most engrossing game, but, gotta give credit where it's due, sounds very reasonable and fair compared to the propaganda I was expecting.. though, it might be a bit heavy for that age group! Middle school range might have a better impact.

Last edited:
As long as people don't have to buy the game, I don't think its a terrible idea. It could be used in the classroom and kids (and their teachers) might actually learn about drugs in an objective scientific way

anybody remember that episode of south park (the guitar hero one) where stan's dad was playing the game heroin hero? shoot up to chase the dragon, but you can never catch it. classic.

I fucking loved that. Just watching that sent some automated endorphins shooting through my brain.

dragon.JPG

This could be done cheaper just by adding an extra layer to the board game monopoly.