Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Anti-Drug Video Game

Hot Dog Of Doom

Bluelighter
UM researcher gets grant to develop anti-drug education video game
Tim Barker
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
04/13/2009

It's tough to find a child who doesn't enjoy video games.

A University of Missouri researcher is hoping to tap into that love to find a new way to teach kids about the dangers of drug addiction.

Joel Epstein, an associate professor of psychiatry in the School of Medicine, has been given a $1 million grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse to develop an educational video game that focuses on what happens to the brain and body when a person uses drugs.

Taking it a step further, Epstein is attempting a two-pronged approach, with the goal of making a game that targets boys and girls differently. The plan is to develop a game that offers two separate tracts — a competitive arc that targets boys and a more socially engaging arc that targets girls.

If it works as hoped, the game will reach kids in ways that classroom lectures and textbooks don't.

"If they feel good about the learning process, it's a very powerful thing for them," Epstein said.

His four-year project is just one more example of how the world of health care is trying to use technology — video games in particular — to educate or treat people. Nintendo Wii gaming systems, for example, have become very popular in nursing homes and senior centers.

The first two years will be spent developing the game, with input from fourth- and fifth-graders, educators and the grant's sponsor.

"We'll throw that all together and try to come up with an interesting and engaging story line," Epstein said.

The game will then run through two years of testing at a handful of St. Louis area schools. The students will be tested before and after game play to see if their knowledge and attitude about drug addiction changes.

So what are the odds the game will run on one of those popular Wii gaming systems? Not good.

"That would be great," said Epstein, who once worked as a freelance computer programmer. "Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or the resources."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/sciencemedicine/story/C86F66340194BCA68625759600786682?OpenDocument

lol, dear god

I can only imagine how badly this will flop (or so I hope)

I think Rockstar should turn around and pump a bunch of money into a game called Drug Warrior. In this game, your job is to essentially find raves, college apartments where stoners might live, and kill everyone who is definitely high (although you can also kill everyone else if you feel like it but then you'll never beat the game and unlock new weapons and cars).

You would start out with just your fists and have to go to steal a bat from someone and then beat someone down who has a gun and take that. Then you can upgrade, find/steal/buy new weapons, etc. Also, you make a contact with someone in the law enforcement agency who will hook you up with a drug sniffing dog for money. But the first dog can only smell weed and he can only smell it from like 10-30 feet away depending on quantity. But then, you can buy better dogs until you eventually have a $500,000 dog that literally runs around the city really fast and pinpoints on the map where the drugs are.

Obviously, in this game, raves would be the most fun because you know everyone is about to really trip out when you roll up in that bitch with an fully automatic G36 and only pull it out when you're in the middle of the breakdancing circle and everyone is wondering what kind of moves you are going to do.

There are so many awesome possibilities. It could go on and on, but unfortunately that $1 million dollars will be spent on fail, whereas my videogame would be the best videogame ever made.

Seems wrong to lie to the young, naive & unexpecting. Lets manipulate their thoughts and make them think its good? FUCK YOU Joel Epstein you dooschbag. Next you can make video games about being a police/"peace" officer in the 2000's and get more people into that; Better yet one about being a nazi during ww2, jackass.

I think Rockstar should turn around and pump a bunch of money into a game called Drug Warrior. In this game, your job is to essentially find raves, college apartments where stoners might live, and kill everyone who is definitely high (although you can also kill everyone else if you feel like it but then you'll never beat the game and unlock new weapons and cars).

You would start out with just your fists and have to go to steal a bat from someone and then beat someone down who has a gun and take that. Then you can upgrade, find/steal/buy new weapons, etc. Also, you make a contact with someone in the law enforcement agency who will hook you up with a drug sniffing dog for money. But the first dog can only smell weed and he can only smell it from like 10-30 feet away depending on quantity. But then, you can buy better dogs until you eventually have a $500,000 dog that literally runs around the city really fast and pinpoints on the map where the drugs are.

Obviously, in this game, raves would be the most fun because you know everyone is about to really trip out when you roll up in that bitch with an fully automatic G36 and only pull it out when you're in the middle of the breakdancing circle and everyone is wondering what kind of moves you are going to do.

There are so many awesome possibilities. It could go on and on, but unfortunately that $1 million dollars will be spent on fail, whereas my videogame would be the best videogame ever made.

Made me lol.

I actually put that in myspace it made me laugh that much.

Well played sir.

^^excellent captainballs. I would pay to play your game if it had good graphics like grand theft auto. In fact, the makers of GTA should make "Drug Warrior."

Someone could also make a quick 2D browser game to illustrate the point.

^^excellent captainballs. I would pay to play your game if it had good graphics like grand theft auto. In fact, the makers of GTA should make "Drug Warrior."

He already said rockstar games (the makers of GTA) would make it. ;)

Thank you everyone. It is very satisfying when multiple people agree that my ideas are made of win.

I would "lol" except it kinda pisses me off to see my tax dollars go to what is acknowledged as a shitty video game. I mean really if you're going to waste money why not waste it right and award the grant to someone who has more skills and confidence than some guy who is quoted as saying
So what are the odds the game will run on one of those popular Wii gaming systems? Not good.

"That would be great," said Epstein, who once worked as a freelance computer programmer. "Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or the resources."

The people who make these type of anti-drug things are already useing drugs themselfs or they just got lied lied to so much that they do this.

anybody remember that episode of south park (the guitar hero one) where stan's dad was playing the game heroin hero? shoot up to chase the dragon, but you can never catch it. classic.

See Dick.
See Jane.
See Jane with a bag of dope.
See Dick run.

I have a feeling that if this game ever gets made (which it probably won't), it will be a huge internet sensation that drug users thoroughly enjoy playing while fucked up on drugs.

The anti drug movement is so full of lies, sensationalism and general bullshit, that anyone with half a brain will realize that the game is complete bullshit and will just play it for a good laugh.

wtf...a million dollars to someone who says "Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or the resources."