• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Getting loperamide across the blood-brain barrier

...this was discussed to death. :\

In short, my 2 cents on this topic:

Trying to make loperamide cross the BBB is not worth the effort. First, most experiments in this direction simply fail. Second, loperamide is suspected to get metabolized in MPP+-like derivatives; something you definitively don't want in your brain. Third, disabling pGP is a baaad idea. The BBB serves a well defined purpose and turning off this said purpose is downright stupid...

- Murphy

polysorbate 80, a common ingredient in icecream is supposed to make loperamide cross the BBB. Forgot to mentioon that.

Yeah, mix your loperamide with icecream and get high. Another retarded thread on ADD. Mods, please move to BDD.

polysorbate 80, a common ingredient in icecream is supposed to make loperamide cross the BBB. Forgot to mentioon that.

Talk about a total misunderstanding.

Polysorbate 80 coated PBCA nanoparticles allow it to get into the brain. Uncoated particles do not get through.

Polysorbate 80-Loperamide solution results in very weak and very short duration analgesia.

So, yeah, IVing a loperamide-polysorbate 80 solution may have benefits in completely drug naive people, but it's awfully unlikely to be of any use for 99% of the population who would consider doing such a thing (unless you're a total newb who wants to go straight to IVing drugs).

This will not work for oral administration, so I dunno what the hell the icecream reference matters. You'd have to be narutokun to IV an icecream loperamide solution for fuck's sake.

I think I'm going to just merge all the other threads about this into one when I get a chance. There are a lot. Depending if most of it lies within OD, I may send it there.

Talk about a total misunderstanding.

Polysorbate 80 coated PBCA nanoparticles allow it to get into the brain. Uncoated particles do not get through.

Polysorbate 80-Loperamide solution results in very weak and very short duration analgesia.

So, yeah, IVing a loperamide-polysorbate 80 solution may have benefits in completely drug naive people, but it's awfully unlikely to be of any use for 99% of the population who would consider doing such a thing (unless you're a total newb who wants to go straight to IVing drugs).

This will not work for oral administration, so I dunno what the hell the icecream reference matters. You'd have to be narutokun to IV an icecream loperamide solution for fuck's sake.

The icecream i thought i'd just add as an interesting fact. but yea, I know both drugs would have to be IV'd to work.

btw i've heard of some people adding large doses of loperamide (around 100mg's a day) with their narcotic analgesic regimen for extra analgesia for a while. If it really does work for them, then maybe if IV'd with polysorbate 80, it would reduce their required dose to a more affordable amount. Many people also report

A personal experience of mine. One evening I found a bunch of immodium. Tried a small amount along with some vitamin C, quercetin, and gingko biloba, which supposedly help a little with drugs crossing BBB. I didn't feel anything... until the next morning. I woke up, went outside to take out the trash and noticed I had a mild opiate buzz going, which was totally unexpected. It wasn't even a large dose. Was only like 4mg's. Not something i'd try again unless it was free though and I had nothing better. It was pretty weak (but very noticeable), and the severe constipation was a bitch.

I'll also give you a quote from that opiate potentiation site:

Loperamide (Immodium): This drug is related to meperidine/pethidine (Demerol) but does not cross the blood-brain barrier in sufficient quantities to cause euphoria. However, the consumption of doses of 150-300% of the therapeutic dose when mixed with high doses of codeine or meprobamate have been reported to produce a weak Darvon-like buzz aside from the effects of the other drugs.

thankyou all for your contributions,
but lopermide discussion is not going anywhere, it always becomes the same (lack of) shit each time it is dicussed.

from now on perhaps any thread with loperamide and BBB in it needs to be really good to survive.