• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nitrous withdrawal...

dunwich

Bluelighter
Um ok, havent been able to find a thread about this so here goes

i have been using nitrous oxide daily since March 5, 2009. I would estimate ive used at least 50 boxes to myself, plus many more boxes with others. Each box has 24 chargers.

so, today is my first day off, i feel like SHIT and am craving both opiates and GABA related downers like hell. If anyone has info on nitrous withdrawal...help me out and let me know how long this may last.

I know the method of action for nitrous is not known, but i just took 4mg xanax today and barely felt it...normally 1mg has me loopy. Ive never even taken more than 2 at once, and the one time i did i couldnt walk. So...yeah...n2o def has an effect on the gaba system!

...or is it all in my head?

any and all help, input, criticism, etc is appreciated :)

I've never heard of Nitrous withdrawals...Someone else will have to help you.
I'm sorry, it's just so strange to me. It's just something I didn't think was out there. I know this post is useless, but this just surprises me. Not surprise, but...I dunno, I'm rambling.

Nitrous Withdrawals...Hmmm...

It is not in your head. Nitrous withdrawal is very real. I dont know dick about it though.

as above, go to the doc and get a few b12-injections!

edit: injections are preferrable as b12 doesnt really get absorbed orally.

B12 deficiency is through chronic usage. It's not a component of withdrawl. Although I definetely recommend B12 supplements because you prob are deficient, they aren't contributing to your current condition. As to what is, I'm not sure.

Nitrous Oxide doesn't produce dependancy.

What you are experiencing is what happens to people who become compulsive drug abusers, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Benzodiazepines, etc produce this psychological state following abstinence.

It is a psychological problem, most likely related to the Dopamine/Seratonin neurotransmitters and their dysfunction following a bout of compulsive behavior.

You should buy a bottle of Vitamin B12 tabs, and take them daily for a few weeks. Nitrous Oxide use depletes Vitamin B12.

Although generaly considered quite safe when used medically and sparingly, it has some negative health consequences when used chronically. Heavy Nitrous use can lead to a depletion of vitamin B12. This can cause numbing of fine nerve endings, especially noticeable in the fingers and toes. Supplements of B12 may reduce the chances of this occurring in heavy users. Shots of B12 are given as a treatment for advanced depletion. If left untreated B12 deficiency can lead to long-term damage.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitrous/nitrous_basics.shtml

Nitrous oxide does NOT produce a physical dependancy. As a DMD, I use this stuff daily, and I know a lot about it. Nothing in any textbook I have ever read has ever suggested any kind of physical dependency. It just doesn't exist.

Nitrous isn't really covered by OD; as a drug it gets covered by Psychedelic Drugs, but since you are talking about withdrawal and since your nitrous WD is most likely going to be psychological, I'm going to move this to The Dark Side unless the mods there feel that this is better covered in PD. In TDS you will find support and advice on how to deal with the cravings.

Regarding GABA though, it is already known that nitrous affects GABA and this may have caused a tolerance to GABA related drugs. However, it's effects come not only from this but from its other effects on the brain which aren't well understood.

OD===>TDS

When i abuse disociatives my eczema flares like crazy... and i don't feel semi normal unless i've had a two week break to get used to feeling sensations so sensitively again. it's much worse coming off them.

I don't know if it's just me.. or stress.. but i can't sleep at night.. lay awake in bed feeling so itchy.. normally i'd just hammer the nitrous or do an IM shot of about 500mg of ketamine.

So you probably don't notice the transition to sleep.

I'm trying to not to take anything properly till after my uni work is done and it's nearer to my birthday may 16th.... but atm sleep patterns are killing me and itchy feeling and general lack of motivation.

Haven't used any k in 5 days now.. i know none of it is physical, just all to do with what i'm used to or other conditions exagerated or body just being a bit hammered.

*shrugs*

EDIT: i've been really good feel a bit more recovered.. was hammering it everyday.. i feel such a strong craving now though and haven't dosed in a while..

Craving so strong i don't know if i'll be able to do work over this next week of holiday but it is the only time i have, i have just encountered a spare ten or twenty quid... should i go buy a gram or half a gram just to satiate my craving, it wont be completely back to sqaure one if i feel it will help this much will it?

it was just before i was getting carried away, someone pm me or something who's been through similar just ARGH lol.

Last edited:
Now that I’ve finally located this thread, Id like to thank Tchort, JohnnyGoodBoy, and Mr. Blonde (sorta) for not taking one word of my post completely seriously and patronizing the hell out of me.

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my post I take 75mcg or more of B12 a day. During a part of the binge I was on the road and didn’t take any supplements for a few days and didn’t piss yellow after a multivitamin. I have pissed yellow after taking the multivit ever since then, indicating I am not absorbing all the B and am thus not deficient. Correct?

Nitrous Oxide doesn't produce dependancy.

What you are experiencing is what happens to people who become compulsive drug abusers, Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Benzodiazepines, etc produce this psychological state following abstinence.

Do I even need to say anything, or was the boldface enough? Yeah, benzos could never produce a physical cessation syndrome! With all you know about drug withdrawal, I totally believe you when you say N2O doesn’t produce physical dependency.

Nitrous oxide does NOT produce a physical dependancy. As a DMD, I use this stuff daily, and I know a lot about it. Nothing in any textbook I have ever read has ever suggested any kind of physical dependency. It just doesn't exist.

What you just said is a perfect example of why I hate most doctors. If a doctor has never heard of something, it must not exist! Doctors know everything! If this was 1980 and you were a MD you’d probably tell me that AIDS is caused by poppers and anal sex, and is strictly a “Gay Related Immunodeficiency Syndrome” since youd never read a science publication invoving the aforementioned disease and straight men or women.

Nitrous isn't really covered by OD; as a drug it gets covered by Psychedelic Drugs, but since you are talking about withdrawal and since your nitrous WD is most likely going to be psychological, I'm going to move this to The Dark Side unless the mods there feel that this is better covered in PD. In TDS you will find support and advice on how to deal with the cravings.

Thank you sincerely for the thought but I know how to deal with cravings. I know you wouldn’t my history, but ive been through it before with a few different drugs. By “it” I mean *physical* withdrawal.

Regarding GABA though, it is already known that nitrous affects GABA and this may have caused a tolerance to GABA related drugs. However, it's effects come not only from this but from its other effects on the brain which aren't well understood.

I now realize I did not stress what I was really asking for by making this thread. What I wanted to know was more regarding the above quote by Mr. Blonde. TDS mods…please either move this to ADD…or…fuck I don’t know can someone please NOT talk out of their ass about this subject? Please? Im DEF in GABA withdrawal right now…I know…ive been there before. I also know because I completely forgot id been binging on nitrous a few days ago and only realized after spending a lil bit yesterday and all today wondering why I feel horrible. Then I took a xanax and it most of it went away.

Thanks everyone that gave advice...regardless of my criticisms.

Take everyones advice and take the B12 supplements and give it a little while and you should feel much better. Everything is just hitting you all at once since you're sober now. You will be fine, just stop using.

-dp

Hey

I couldn't find anything relating GABA or any medical journal articles on nitrous dependance or withdrawl, but did find one thing you may be interested in. An article in 1976 theorised Nitrous oxide may may release or potentiate an endogenous analgesic. They tested this by giving mice NO and then naltrexone, and hey presto, it blocked some of the effects of NO. I'm gonna stretch it even further by suggesting that a part of what your going through could be related to opiate withdrawal.

The article is:
Nitrous oxide "analgesia": resemblance to opiate action
BA Berkowitz, SH Ngai, and AD Finck

Was this more along the lines of what you were looking for?

Upon request of the OP I'm sending to Advanced Drug Discussion, with the suggestion in consultation with a PD mod that if it does not work there it be sent to PD.

TDS---------------------------------------------------------------------->ADD

Do I even need to say anything, or was the boldface enough? Yeah, benzos could never produce a physical cessation syndrome! With all you know about drug withdrawal, I totally believe you when you say N2O doesn’t produce physical dependency.

*Sigh*

I was simply commenting on a facet of drug abuse: compulsive behavior, compulsive use- which is apparent in drugs that produce physical dependancy and those that produce abstinence syndrome, as well as those that do not. Compulsive use is apparent in Benzo, Alcohol, Amphetamine, Opioid, etc abusers, and is a seperate yet often simultaneous bodily response with addiction.

I do enjoy people who ask for help and then talk out of their ass when someone offers an answer. I wonder what NA would say when you get to step 4, the fearless moral inventory of the lies and abuse you hurled at your loved ones over your insatiable lust for laughing gas.

"I once punched my mother in the mouth, chipping her tooth, so she would go to the dentist and receive nitrous oxide. I pulled a knife on the dentist and shut the door, and ordered him to put the mask on my face..."

It's VERY important that you are aware of the B-12 depletion mechanism. N2O causes irreversible inhibition of the enzyme methionine synthase, which is necessary for the utilization of B12. Met-synthase activity is regained pretty slowly after cessation.

In other words, you will not be able to make much use of the B12 until you regain appreciable levels of met-synthase activity (ie- until your body produces enough new enzyme)! Even WITH high-dose B12 injections, you're probably still not as B-12 deficient as you will be in the next while. If you start having tingling in the extremeties, some motor problems in the extremeties, and especially* a loss of vibrational sensory input, get this taken care of as peripheral neurological damage is permanent!

(Also, if you're a chick... do NOT get knocked up any time soon. The N2O also causes enzymatic fuckkery which traps folic acid/folate in an unusable form. The baby could very well end up with an extremely serious form of spina bifida)

edit: Pissing yellow doesn't mean your not deficient in ANY WAY. You can't absorb the B12 cuz N2O ravaged the Met-synthase enzyme you needed to absorb/use it.*** The supplement wont do shit.

Last edited:
"GABA withdrawal"

N2O's effect on GABA isn't all that strong. Given the extremely short duration of action, if your withdrawal was actually due to it's GABAergic effects, you'd likely start seizing within a few hours of your last dose. This is what happens when people are dependent on very short acting GABAergic depressants. If you can sleep an entire night (while using) without waking from terrible anxiety, terribly shaky hands and possibly vomiting, or an entire day without seizures, it's pretty unlikely that your "withdrawal" is related to it's GABAergic effects.

It sounds like it's entirely psychological, as a result of craving and such, though; especiall given that people going through much more for much longer periods of time haven't had much or anything in the way of physical withdrawal.

It's VERY important that you are aware of the B-12 depletion mechanism. N2O causes irreversible inhibition of the enzyme methionine synthase, which is necessary for the utilization of B12. Met-synthase activity is regained pretty slowly after cessation.

In other words, you will not be able to make much use of the B12 until you regain appreciable levels of met-synthase activity (ie- until your body produces enough new enzyme)! Even WITH high-dose B12 injections, you're probably still not as B-12 deficient as you will be in the next while. If you start having tingling in the extremeties, some motor problems in the extremeties, and especially* a loss of vibrational sensory input, get this taken care of as peripheral neurological damage is permanent!

(Also, if you're a chick... do NOT get knocked up any time soon. The N2O also causes enzymatic fuckkery which traps folic acid/folate in an unusable form. The baby could very well end up with an extremely serious form of spina bifida)

How do you 'get it taken care of'? Just B12 injections? And I could have SWORN i read something somewhere about N20 withdrawal. I could have freakin sworn.