• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nitrous withdrawal...

No shit.

I was referring to the earlier poster's idiotic comment that barbs are incapable of causing dependence.

And also, making the point that possibly, a glutamatergic rebound from N2O MAY be possible, albeit mediated through NMDARs rather than AMPARs, which may well cause excitotoxicity.

Possibly, I have some degree of DP/DR that could be related to doing a lot of DXM and Nitrous

Yes, one can experience physiological withdrawal from the gas, but its typically mild, and in the form of cravings, with few "physical" manifestations. If you are using tanks, every day, for extended periods of time, i'd be more worried about things beyond that of the discontinuation symptoms........

Bottom line, yes, its mild, and somewhat rare......

N2O shows cross tolerance with benzodiazepines
N2O shows cross tolerance with opiates
N2O releases dopamine
Argue the semantics all you want, it's a drug you should have a bit of respect for.

Clearly, I think most of us here can agree here that nitrous oxide is no more of a drug than it is a gas with drug-like effects (these effects being primarily 'drug-like'). In other words, do no revive a dying thread if you have nothing of merit to add....

wow what a messed up thread to read. just sayin'.

seems everyone has their own semi-arbitrary definition of what constitutes "psychological addiction", "physical addiction", or just likin' something a whole lot and being bummed that it's gone. and the guy who says he is not physically dependent on his wife, you mean you married someone you are NOT physically dependent on? but this is not advanced relationship discussion. have to laugh at the peeps who think 'opiates are physically addicting' and 'all else is psychological'. opiate withdrawal does not kill you (unless you count suicide). benzo/alcohol/barbiturate is known to be very dangerous and sometimes fatal.

OVERLOOKED FACET?: N2o is not just a drug-like gas. there are gasses (namely organic solvent vapors) that do not bind to specific receptors but exert effects by modifying lipid properties of membranes (specifically neurotransmitter vesicles). then there are others, like ethanol, that have specific binding sites (ethanol binds to GABA receptor as an allosteric modulator, there is also a separate benzo binding site) AND also change lipid solubility, resulting in both specific receptor-mediated effects and wide-ranging metabolic effects. And nitrous most definitely causes release of massive amounts of neurotransmitters, so while it definitely has NMDA inhibiting receptor mediated effects, it also has more general metabolic effects probably very similar to alcohol, but will depend highly on usage patterns since duration is much shorter.

why on earth anyone would say drug X or Y is not physically addictive, or that there are only one or two (or 3) 'types' of addiction, is beyond me. i think our individual brain chemistries vary quite a bit more than many realize; it is our social integration that allows us to communicate efficiently. just a thought.

I didn't think anyone would honestly take my comment serious :

"nitrous oxide is no more of a drug than it is a gas with drug-like effects (these effects being primarily 'drug-like')"

Hilarious......I've never seen so much use of the outdated and meaningless term "psychological addiction" as on BL.

What people usually mean when they say something is only "psychologically addictive" is that there is no obvious, dramatic somatic WD syndrome. No consistent diarrhea or fever or seizures if withdrawn. All of these drugs alter brain chemistry and generally speaking the brain attempts to adapt to maintain homeostasis. There are all manner of cascade and indirect effects that we are only beginning to understand with most of these exogenous chems.

Your massive depression and craving ceasing a "psychologically addictive" substance are PHYSICAL.

Nitrous is very very reinforcing and addictive for many people. I've seen a lot of horror stories and physical problems as a result of nitrous abuse.

I have to agree with this for the simple reason that how one feels directly correlates to neurotransmitter levels and ratios. All feelings, sensations and thoughts have a physical basis, so by extension all habits, cravings and needs are physical symptoms.

This is all I know right. I get medical 25lb tanks once a week. I’m on 18Omg of morphine a day or 3O-5Omg of methadone or 15Omg of oxycodone. I’m also prescribed kpins 2mg 3x a day but I take usually 2mg since nitrous I felt I found the answer to everything life’s problems including my physical addiction to benzos and opiates I quit IV fet I don’t do IV coke anymore either I don’t even drink alcohol I smoke weed and do nitrous every single day these tanks idk exactly how many balloons r in one tank but let’s just say 25O min I do like 3O a day and I’m talking punch balloons filled as big af. I’ve noticed that I don’t want to take my kpins or opiates I’ve been on a drop of methadone and .5 kpin 2x a day but my stomach is cramping randomly I’m getting hot then sweating and shaking and shivering all day long. The morning is the worst I wake up shaking and freezing and have to wait about an hr to feel almost normal. What I don’t understand is this ..we’ll a lot of things but one is wen I don’t take my opaites ya I obviously won’t feel good same with the benzos but wen I do take my opaites and do my nitrous I start to get dope yawns like I’m sick my pupils look normal. I know what dope yawns r very very well and that’s what they are. So why? Why does nitrous make it me clean off all other drugs and make me not feel the need for my medications but I feel like shitt either way. Obviously everyone is going to say stop the nitrous but let’s just say that’s not an option. I also feel as if benzos block nitrous and that really makes me angry to be honest because I spend a lot of money to get these tanks and if I’m holding two huge balloons breathing it like it’s a Mask on my face and there empty and I just stare at the wall and say wtf is going on and do another balloon then nothing happens again. The crazy part is I literally fell directly on my face while sitting down but I literally face planted and broke my nose that was at a festival but y can’t I get high on this shitt anymore idk I guess I’ve got a lot going on and imo there is physical withdrawals while I do a balloon if I’m shaking or stomach hurts slowly I feel better wen I do the balloon it could be that it’s mental and or just the medical effects of nitrous helping my withdrawal from my other two drugs. I feel as if I’m literally doing a major personal study on nitrous effects and I feel there is a lot of unknown that ppl over look bcuz I used to do a whip it and be good then not do it for at least a yr had no interest. Funny because after doing ketamine I started doing nitrous they go hand in hand and I came up with the fantastic idea to mix two strong dissociatives. Was up for days with my gun in my hands just laying down staring at the wall thinking Freemasons were trying to get me bcuz I thought they knew I didn’t like them and r basically looking for them. (I know I’m crazy is wat it is) that passed but hopefully this can be of some informational use to the nitrous community because it’s growing here in the US where I am that’s all I’m ganna say and it’s spreading fast.

Well what do you know, someone preformed an animal model experiment on chronic N2O usage & dependence liability.

Don't forget, even before I found this, absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. I might add that it took about 45 seconds to locate, which leads me to suspect too many people like to post certainties without having ANY grounds to be certain.

Well what do you know, someone preformed an animal model experiment on chronic N2O usage & dependence liability.

Don't forget, even before I found this, absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence. I might add that it took about 45 seconds to locate, which leads me to suspect too many people like to post certainties without having ANY grounds to be certain.
Ya I’m not ganna lie I took my opiates as prescribed today not less and I took 1mg of kins which is way less than prescribed and I have a crazy tolerance from yrs of being prescribed benzos and I feel literally fine this is still off hundreds of balloons fuck a whip it I have a fucking scuba tank next to my bed with medical nitrous the drug interactions r hard to fully explain but I basically can’t even do nitrous at this moment bcuz it doesn’t do anything but I’m ok with that and I’d say that would mean I’m not physically sick from nitrous I mean to be honest I couldn’t really see how it was possible but the drug is definitely a different type of drug different than most so I really didn’t know this morning I really thought it was. The nitrous but really the nitrous was allowing me to push harder and longer from not touch my meds and I pushed myself into bad nicotine opiate and benzo with drawl

Excuse my bad grammar and typos just don’t care unless it’s a college paper or legal work lol

Having abused nitrous oxide daily, averaging 400 grams of nitrous oxide gas per day for maybe 8 months (this was years ago), there is certainly a psychological withdrawal that comes from daily use.

In a side note, the following seems to suggest physical tolerance and withdrawal but it is a bit vague, and old:

Put simply, if a drug produces effects that are subjectively positive, it's going to be addictive to some people.

If it produces tolerance then the body is adjusting to the effects of the drug which more often than not suggests dependence is at least possible.

Look at drugs like propofol and cyclizine, Although science has yet to identify the specific signalling changes, both have produced a small number of people who use the drug in a compulsive manner even to their own long-term detrement.

A small core of anesthetists inject propofol compulsively until their career is destroyed and people abused cyclizine to the point where they suffered grand mal seizures. The latter has only been seen in the UK. I think it's because we have the compound analgesic Diconal (dipipanone + cyclizine) but people on methadone prescriptions will inject cyclizine so evidently the 2 closely related opioids interact with cyclizine.

BUT in the end, people WILL compulsively inject cyclizine alone.

Just because we don't understand the underlying mechanism doesn't mean we can ignore the evidence of people compulsively using these drugs.

BTW cyclizine abuse IS known in the US I believe. didn't a study find that about 1/3 of people on methadone maintainance were taking cyclizine? I CAN find the paper if you are not willing to trust my word but I wouldn't post if I hadn't spend a good week looking into cyclizine abuse.