• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Needle broke deep in my arm!! Help?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew a woman who had like, maybe 3-4 spikes stuck in her arm? Not a good idea to see if they'll resurface.

Do you have trouble going through metal detectors at the airport?
I have tons of metal in my back form back surgery- never sets the alarm off so needle wouldn't.

To the OP,
I HOPE TO GOD YOU WENT TO THE HOSPITAL!

from the sounds of it, these things will come out even if you don't go to the hospital.

this happened to a friend of mine. we freaked out, because it is an old junkie myth that if the needle breaks off in your vein then it will travel to your heart and pierce your heart. I think that this is bullshit.

so I took him to the hospital and they treated him/us like shit. they barely helped us out, only resorting to taking an x-ray and then trying to hand us pamphlets on how to stay clean and nearby rehabs. we told them we were not interested in going to rehab but we really wanted to get the needle out of my friend's arm. they gave us looks and told my friend that they would call him when if/they found out if there was an actual needle in his arm.

he reassured the medical staff that he was very sure there was a needle in his arm, and that we would like for this to get taken care of. after getting more confusing run-arounds I ended up leaving and taking him home. a month later they called my friend and told him that the needle was in fact in his arm. he said that he knew this in the first place.

because it wasn't infected, he didn't have to go back. I don't think the needle ever "resurfaced" (as you are all so sure it will?) but I don't think that it has ever caused him harm and I don't even think he remembers where the needle is located.

nevertheless, please be more careful when shooting. I know it is easy to be rough/anxious with your hands when you are sick - but smooth and thoughtful hand movements are the most safe.

Well that sounds like good news .. for the op ... glad you're not doing that any more!

I did this many times and am not 100% certain they are all out. It was done maybe 15-20 times over a period of 2 or 3 years. There could still be one or two in there. If any remain, they cause no problems.

I would not make the assumption that it will definitely come out on its own. I would fear the damage it could do to nearby veins considering the location. I'd at least make a phone call to the doc and tell what happened so he could give you proper guidance.

Assuming the needle does no damage to important veins or nerves, it is not necessarily a problem if metal objects remain in the body. Bullets are often not removed. Shrapnel from explosions is left in the bodies of soldiers and others. It sometimes remains in the body forever and causes no problems.

It is the fact that it is possibly tearing/going to tear major veins that I think should concern you. Either see a doc or go to the ER. They'll treat you like junkie trash most likely, but sometimes you have to just put up with assholes. I'd really hate it if a needle in my arm did serious damage to my veins. I don't know the risks of that happening. I am not a doctor.

I have experience with how the medical profession treats druggies.
Some of the things done to make me suffer or feel like trash were dangerous.
My blood pressure was severely elevated and their actions made it worse by scaring me and upsetting me.In my altered state, their scowls, aggressive movements, and acting angry was scary. Scaring and upsetting people will raise blood pressure. They should have provided a calm and accepting atmosphere and been gentle and friendly. That would have been calming and helped my blood pressure.

The experience is below:

When I OD'd on DXM and ephedra, they treated me like trash. Giving mean looks, being rude, lecturing me on how I was taking up space in the ICU that someone else could have needed. I had them treating me badly even as my blood pressure was reading 23X/15X(don't remember exact) and as this was going on it went up more to like 245/160. They were making me feel some anger but mostly sadness. That goes against their hippocratic oath to do no harm. They should have known that being hostile in words and behavior would increase my dangerously high blood pressure. Sometimes their scowls and the way they acted scared me. I was in an extremely altered state of consciousness so I often became frightened by them. I had another nurse step on my catheter tube, causing pain. Maybe it was an accident, but she didn't take her foot off when I pointed and groaned. Their was one good nurse who told me she believed I was a good person and that the things the others were saying were wrong. Apparently everyone was talking bad about me and making fun of my condition behind my back. I thank this one nurse for her kindness. She made me feel a lot better. If I knew her name I'd write her a letter to tell her how much it meant that there was someone in that place who thought I was not only human, but a good one. It meant a lot when she said it but I didn't respond. I regret that, but talking was still difficult due to the drugs. My mind still was not functioning properly. I wish I could thank her for that. Everyone else tried to make the experience as traumatic and miserable as possible.

I did this many times and am not 100% certain they are all out. It was done maybe 15-20 times over a period of 2 or 3 years. There could still be one or two in there. If any remain, they cause no problems.

I would not make the assumption that it will definitely come out on its own. I would fear the damage it could do to nearby veins considering the location. I'd at least make a phone call to the doc and tell what happened so he could give you proper guidance.

Assuming the needle does no damage to important veins or nerves, it is not necessarily a problem if metal objects remain in the body. Bullets are often not removed. Shrapnel from explosions is left in the bodies of soldiers and others. It sometimes remains in the body forever and causes no problems.

It is the fact that it is possibly tearing/going to tear major veins that I think should concern you. Either see a doc or go to the ER. They'll treat you like junkie trash most likely, but sometimes you have to just put up with assholes. I'd really hate it if a needle in my arm did serious damage to my veins. I don't know the risks of that happening. I am not a doctor.

I have experience with how the medical profession treats druggies.
Some of the things done to make me suffer or feel like trash were dangerous.
My blood pressure was severely elevated and their actions made it worse by scaring me and upsetting me.In my altered state, their scowls, aggressive movements, and acting angry was scary. Scaring and upsetting people will raise blood pressure. They should have provided a calm and accepting atmosphere and been gentle and friendly. That would have been calming and helped my blood pressure.

The experience is below:

When I OD'd on DXM and ephedra, they treated me like trash. Giving mean looks, being rude, lecturing me on how I was taking up space in the ICU that someone else could have needed. I had them treating me badly even as my blood pressure was reading 23X/15X(don't remember exact) and as this was going on it went up more to like 245/160. They were making me feel some anger but mostly sadness. That goes against their hippocratic oath to do no harm. They should have known that being hostile in words and behavior would increase my dangerously high blood pressure. Sometimes their scowls and the way they acted scared me. I was in an extremely altered state of consciousness so I often became frightened by them. I had another nurse step on my catheter tube, causing pain. Maybe it was an accident, but she didn't take her foot off when I pointed and groaned. Their was one good nurse who told me she believed I was a good person and that the things the others were saying were wrong. Apparently everyone was talking bad about me and making fun of my condition behind my back. I thank this one nurse for her kindness. She made me feel a lot better. If I knew her name I'd write her a letter to tell her how much it meant that there was someone in that place who thought I was not only human, but a good one. It meant a lot when she said it but I didn't respond. I regret that, but talking was still difficult due to the drugs. My mind still was not functioning properly. I wish I could thank her for that. Everyone else tried to make the experience as traumatic and miserable as possible.

you broke 15-20 needles off in your arm in 2-3 years? Are you just using really shitty used rigs or what because I have been shooting drugs for around 4-5 years now and I have never once broken the tip off in my arm. I would think this is something that might happen to someone a few times over the course of their entire IV drug use career, but damn this many times in 2-3 years? Sounds like you must be the worlds worst IVer lol.

You got a needle stuck inside of you and you are too afraid of the medical bill? What scares you more... death, or a chunk of your wallet down the drain? Do you realize the risks of leaving that shit in your arm untreated? Too many to name! Forget about the bill and don't worry about the possibility of going to jail for drug use, you won't go. I went to a hospital after getting drunk and being high on meth... guess what? I was too young to be drinking, and of course meth is highly illegal, I didn't get any attention from law enforcement. It's disturbing that some people can leave a broke off needle in their arm for fear of a bill when it's their life they should be worrying about. Buuut then again, let's just wait and see if it resolves on it's own right? Faulty logic.

Go to the fucking hospital if you haven't already, and forgive me for being rude afterwards.

Magnet first then hospital. That shit will get through to your brain, heart, or lungs. Shitty way to die. Same thing happened to me. Twice.

Yo man do yall think he died??:|
He posted that shit over a month ago...shits crazy

Seeing as this was posted over two years ago, there's no sense in leaving it open to speculate what did or didn't happen to the OP.

For anyone reading this as a reference, if this happens to you: GO TO THE HOSPITAL. Your life is worth more than the cost of extracting the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.