• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Needle broke deep in my arm!! Help?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

solindoontz888

Greenlighter
Hello!!

I had a needle tip, I mean.. the WHOLE tip... the metal part.. all of it, from pointy tip all the way back to where metal meets plastic.

I am very concerned as I have no clue what to think. Someone said they had a friend who had this happen and their body "rejected" it and pushed it out on its own. I don't see how that can happen seeing as how the spike was bent in my arm from me pushing in deep and moving it while in there because I was sweaty and my finger slipped and I wanted it in place asap bc I was sick and didnt want to miss a chance if i had one (which i didnt). So i was rushing because I was about ready to start puking and crapping and .. ugh.. felt AWFUL. So anyway, It was bent in there, and felt weird so I tried to slightly bend it back .. just a HAIR.. and BAM.. it broke off, and my skin popped back to normal and it was GONE. IN.MY.FUCKING.ARM. I have been keeping an eye on it for infection of course. But would I see anything if it was THAT DEEP in my arm? Could it just jump into my bone marrow and BAM. I'd be pretty fucked?
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE? IF SO, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU DID AND HOW IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU!! I really really want to hear from people with experience, or someone who can accuratly inform me of a situation theyre familiar with that would be similiar to someone responding with experience.

On one hand, I dont know if it is worth the huge medical bill. On the other, I just had a friend die from something caused by IVing it (and his stupidity, stuborness, etc.) . So ... I am torn.

One more thing.. can this needle move around the muscle.. or under the skin even.. between skin/muscle? I had this weird through that.. like.. what if it moved to my heart?!?!? I am sure that'd be DEATH. FUCKING.. DEATH. Not cool. I don't want to become fertalizer yet!!

8o8):(

go to the hospital immediately. no messing about. health before money/law.

I had it happen, but it wasn't super deep. I ended up soaking it in epson salt and a hot bath, like you would a sliver. Alsong as the dermal or upper skin layers stay unhealed you have a chance of having it exit with soaking. Your friend is right, it will be rejected but thats not a smart thing to bet on. INFECTION INFECTION INFECTION! Maybe even get some antibiotics too, I'd see a doc if you can afford it.

If it is as deep as you say it is, your body will reject it, but its a toss up as to whether or not it will be pushed out on its own.

You need to go to a doctor ASAP. I once sliced my finger open badly on some glass at a concert. Was treated by the on site paramedics but went to a doctor the next day anyway. Even he failed to notice a small piece of glass embedded in my finger. A month later I was wondering why the wound wasn't healing all the way, and it turns out it was just continually trying to heal over this piece of glass without actually pushing the glass out.

This is kind of nasty but I basically had to re-open the wound myself, discover the glass, and pull it out myself. Its a small miracle that I didn't get an infection, I monitored it heavily and even went back to the clinic to bitch at the doctor and make sure it was giong to heal right now that all the glass was removed (thanks to me).

Now I'd say the hypodermic needle tip that broke off in your arm is a lot less likely to be forced out on its own. If you think you can get at it with some tweezers if you break a few layers of skin, by all means, you might save yourself a huge hospital bill but in all cases you need to worry about infections. Whatever you decide to do, you need to get it checked by a medical professional ASAP and get anti-biotics or whatever is necessary to remove it if you can't get it out yourself (which I really don't recommend). Though I've done my fair share of self-surgeries to get tiny wood splinters and shit out but never anything quite like a needle tip.

I might decide to fish it out myself if I was feeling ballsy and had sterile instruments handy.

Otherwise I'd go to the hospital to have a doctor cut me open and get it out.

You have 2 choices. Extract it yourself with tweezers... like you would a splinter... or go to the hospital and let the pro's do it for you. I recommend the latter.

After watching Requiem For a Dream I'm shit scared of needles because infections can turn out truly fucked!

Please update!

Holy shit.

I have no idea how you did that. I was annoyed at myself for leaving a slight sting in my arm the other day. Stop using needles if you're going to cause yourself that much harm.

Can't give any good advice, but long ago when I was much more fucked up in the head, I stuck several sewing needles all the way into my legs, pushing as hard as I could. The first one took maybe 3 months to come to the surface and the last a year or longer. I think they all came out.

This was more than 10 years ago, so I'm not sure of the details.

Considering the proximity to major veins, I'd be worried about possible damage to them, as well as infection. I'd see a doctor.

Can't give any good advice, but long ago when I was much more fucked up in the head, I stuck several sewing needles all the way into my legs, pushing as hard as I could. The first one took maybe 3 months to come to the surface and the last a year or longer. I think they all came out.

Well that sounds like good news .. for the op ... glad you're not doing that any more!

I stuck several sewing needles all the way into my legs, pushing as hard as I could. The first one took maybe 3 months to come to the surface and the last a year or longer. I think they all came out.

Do you have trouble going through metal detectors at the airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.