• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Plasma donation affect methadone?

^ Ha, I had no idea homosexuals were banned from it in the US, I had to look it up on Google just then.

This was the best post I could find in the search, regarding my similar question. No one seemed to have a definitive answer, so ...

Does anyone know whether donating plasma would reduce the amount of opiates in a person's system? in other words, would a daily user need to re-dose sooner / would duration be reduced / would any drug be "wasted" (lost) by donating plasma?

I'm a med student, and yes, of course it would. Methadone is dissolved in the plasma, and as such when you take some of that plasma away some of the methadone goes away aswell. However, it isn't relevant, because it is the concentration of the methadone in the plasma that is relevant to how much it affects your brain, not the overall amount in the plasma. Also, some will remain in all the tissues in your body, e.g bound to receptors in your brain.

I'm a med student, and yes, of course it would. Methadone is dissolved in the plasma, and as such when you take some of that plasma away some of the methadone goes away aswell. However, it isn't relevant, because it is the concentration of the methadone in the plasma that is relevant to how much it affects your brain, not the overall amount in the plasma. Also, some will remain in all the tissues in your body, e.g bound to receptors in your brain.

This answers my question perfectly, thank you.

I donated plasma years ago, and screening and drug testing was a part of it. As far as I remember, they don't let you donate if you've ever IV'd drugs or if you have positive drug tests.

Many people on methadone/suboxone have never IVd. Why does everyone assume that? I saw a soccer mum collecting methadone, i assume she had an injury and got pain pills, then had an addictive personality

Haha I love the US! Crack heads can donate but <snip> can't.

Lol are you homophobic or just sarcastic? I'd say the US is very progressive in regards to gay marriage compared to Australia (where I'm from).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this is about donation. So if you tell them you're gay then they cant take your blood? LOL. Not hard to lie, though they could swab your mouth for the presence of delicious creamy sperm

I called the office and they transfered nobody picked up, so im searching the interent where i can see a honest post of "y" or "n"

what the fuck is it, I will go in there and say, I'm on Pain Mang, I haven't IV'd dope but I do take MMT for Therapy.

can someone give me a solid response

lol

Hate to burst your bubble but just because someone is on methadone doesn't necessarily mean they're an IV drug user. Opioids come in pill form and heroin can be smoked or snorted. Lets say this person did use needles, is it conceivable that they never shared a needle and contracted anything? I love how you jump to all sorts of conclusions, you're a real peach. And even if someone with a disease donated they screen the plasma before using it. So get off your high horse, you're a small minded ignorant bigot.

There u go again, assuming every opioid addict is a dirty needle using pit of disease. Ever heard of pills, smoking, snorting, and even responsible, educated use? But you're probably against needle exchanges right?

Well that's awfully big of you, but really nothing should be assumed. But kudos for not jumping to the conclusion that she was a dirty hooker.

Too late but NEVER tell anyone you EVER used ANYTHING for PAIN. You'll be shown the door and then some.

Wow this is a really old thread, that becam a true mess.

But just to answer the OP's question, for anyone who uses the SE and actually wants to know:

No. Donating plasma will not, at all affect your methadone, in any way whatsoever. In fact, even dialysis removes less than 5% of the total methadone concentration from the body.

Done is widely distributed throughout the body and brain, donating a small amount of plasma isn't going to effect you in any way, whatsoever.

My husband & I both are in methadone maintenance & we both have withdrawal symptoms after donating plasma. So to anyone wanting to donate plasma for some extra cash, I would say try it one time & if you feel any withdrawal symptoms you should not donate any more. I think each person is different. Good luck!

This is an old thread. I have read, asked professionals, and there are different guidelines for nearly every Center for donation. The main threats are meds like Accutane and other meds that most people do not take. The "high risk behavior" I.e; needles and exchange of body fluids with people that may be at higher risk for Hiv, hepatitis, etc. is something they have to know. As for worrying about donation dropping plasma levels of opiates, your levels may drop but as another post suggested the medication is widely distributed throughout the body. The plasma level depends on when you took your med. Just be mindful of peak plasma levels of the med and donate accordingly. There are so many differing opinions on medication and plasma donation that it seems unless you are taking drugs that they will specifically ask you about it really doesn't matter as much as infectious diseases and behavior that could lead to infection.

I would prefer not to get plasma or blood from another opioid addict (I guess if I was going to die and that was the only option that would be a different story- nothing to lose then) and I am an opioid addict. And yes, not all opioid addicts IV and not everyone who IVs has anything if they use clean pins. But it only takes once, and when that withdrawal is so bad you don't care wither or not you die from it five years from now and you spent your last dollars and even had to short your dealer a few and have no pins and the exchange isn't open, shit happens (I ended up getting Hep C- I bleached pins the couple of times I shared and that is probably the reason I don't have HIV; but bleach either takes 15-45 minutes of sitting in the pin to kill hep C or maybe not at all and again you are stupid due to circumstances and unwilling to wait that long). Literally most of the opioid addicts I've known are positive for Hep C- it is hard for me to find one that when being honest with me doesn't when it comes to long time users. You don't even need to share the actual pin to get hep C- only a cooker (and I know everyone says they won't- but what about that day you are in withdrawal and a friend comes by and they are willing to give you a shot out of your cooker? addiction makes us do stupid things) or water (others dipped their pin in it) etc.

What I'm saying is that I'm not judging anyone, and I'm sure there are opioid addicts here who have nothing, but it is a statistically risky group. And almost every opioid addict I've known that isn't getting an RX usually ends up IVing eventually.

Yes I was shot down yesterday when I was honest about being on the Meth program although I have never been an IV user they said that Methadone is on the No No list for most blood donor centers. She went so far to say that I can never give blood their, even once I am off the Methadone. which seems excessive but guess rules are rules. So I will be sure to nog be so honest next time!!! As I have never used needles and thus far do not possess any of the STDs they ask about. So it seems like a waste of good blood to someone who really needs it and I really need the money, so...lie I shall.!