• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Daily pushup routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
bench and overall upper body strength/endurance has always been a hard one for me. I always assumed it was because of my long thin arms. But ive been going at the pushup thing now for bout 5 days and am already starting to see improvement (in form and less fatigue), which is good. Thanks for the advice RM-RF. I do have some 25 and 30 lb freeweights lying around here somewhere. Can free weight curls be used to train the bicep in a similar fashion. Can i work biceps say 3 times a week using a moderate weight? I find that im never sore after dumbell curls, not unless i add additional curling exercises.

If you're not doing a full body routine, you're just flonging your dong.

But good luck anyway.

flonging? Did u mean flogging or is this some word that iam unfamiliar with :(

I agree, pushups and curls are almost a joke they are such a bad routine.

You need:

weighted chinups
OH Press
Cleans
Deadlifts
Bench
Squat

DHY-this wasnt a thread to argue about the best workout routine. It was made simply to get feedback on an introductory excercise regimen. Even if i wanted to.. the gym im applying to doesn't have enough room for powercleans, deadlifts, or overhead presses.

flonging? Did u mean flogging or is this some word that iam unfamiliar with :(

Lol. I also have no idea what "flonging" means, or if it's even a word. However, I have heard a few people say "flonging your dong" to mean something more or less like "wasting your time".

My point was that doing push-ups and curls will get you almost nowhere. It's not that I have anything against beginners doing only a single exercise or two. But if you're gonna do that, then you should do an important exercise. Like squats or deadlifts.

This may sound counter-intuitive. Especially if your goal is to look good with your shirt off. But say you have two twins, Alan and Bob. Suppose Alan does only squats, and Bob does only push-ups and curls. I can practically guarantee you that, by FAR, Alan will have the better looking body--both lower AND upper.

Why is this true? Honestly, I have no clue. My guess is that it has something to do with testosterone. But regardless of the reason, it works.

I believe I'm quoting someone else on this board, but have you ever seen a tree with a small trunk, and huge limbs?

It can be done with the human body, but it's a lot harder and looks ridiculous

I agree, pushups and curls are almost a joke they are such a bad routine.

You need:

weighted chinups
OH Press
Cleans
Deadlifts
Bench
Squat

You need exactly that and nothing else? Why does he need those things?

I never get it when people assume one exercise or group of exercises is going to benefit everyone the same way. Not everyone is looking to build the same muscles or work the same systems.

You need exactly that and nothing else? Why does he need those things?

I never get it when people assume one exercise or group of exercises is going to benefit everyone the same way. Not everyone is looking to build the same muscles or work the same systems.

Think he means those lifts should be the foundation of a good regimen. Compound lifts usually work multiple muscles.

It is a generally accepted idea that if you want to gain a strong, proportioned physique, these are essential.

DHY-this wasnt a thread to argue about the best workout routine. It was made simply to get feedback on an introductory excercise regimen. Even if i wanted to.. the gym im applying to doesn't have enough room for powercleans, deadlifts, or overhead presses.

Looks like your going to have to look for a different gym then.

I love 'em.

I've never heard of anybody overtraining using body resistance exercises. Ever wonder why a lot of marines have huge lats compared to other muscles? Damn pull-up bar.

Get to where you can do 100 pushups straight, and I guarantee almost all of your upper body, weight resistance exercises will go up in poundage.

!? How many people can do 100 pushups in a row? I have never met one.

I would imagine that if you are able to do 35 pushups without fatigue you could probably bench much more than 135lbs. I can only do 40-something (maybe 46) push-ups in a row, but I can bench two plates (225lbs) for 6-7 reps. I only weigh 151lbs, and when I started 1.5 years ago, I could barely do 10 push-ups....

I would agree, sort of. Anyone who can do 3 sets of 35 pushups should be able to bench 200.

But, I have a question for you specifically. Are you 2% bodyfat or somethng? Or are you 5 fet tall with very short arms?

I ask this only because I am the exact same weight as you, and I can do 45 to 50 pushups in a row (with good form, no faking), but I sure as hell cannot bench 225 for 6 or 7 reps. I cannot bench 225 once.

I can do 3 sets of 5 reps at 150. I don't know what my 1 rep max is but I assume it is around 175 or 185.

I am not saying I disbelieve anything you are saying. I jsutwonder why there would such a difference in what we can bench of we are the same weight and can do the same number of pushups.

There isn't enough room for overhead presses !?????

I am not sure I understand how that can be possible.

!? How many people can do 100 pushups in a row? I have never met one.

I got up to 75 pretty easily before I slipped back into my bad habbits. :\:X

MY dad used to do 25 clapping, 25 on each hand, and then 25 regular=100 in a row back when he was heavy into boxing.

Boxers, gymnists, anyone who relies on superb strength to body weight could probably bust out 100.

I got up to 75 pretty easily before I slipped back into my bad habbits. :\:X

MY dad used to do 25 clapping, 25 on each hand, and then 25 regular=100 in a row back when he was heavy into boxing.

Boxers, gymnists, anyone who relies on superb strength to body weight could probably bust out 100.

Of course, but you are referring to elite level athletes. I mean, I can bench my body weight 5 -7 times, and I can only do somewhere between 45 and 50 pushups in a row. If I were able to get to a poitn where I can do 100 push-ups with proper form, what would I be benching?

Of course, bench press reps are difficult for me because I am skinny and I need to bring my elbows far below the plane of my body to get the bar to my chest.

Also, not everyone has the same idea of what constitutes a push-up.

if you trained to be able to do 100 pushups then you would be able to do.............

100 pushups.

I don't think there is very much direct carryover to benching or floor pressing tbh.

ehhh. Pushups use your triceps and pectoral muscles, as do bench presses.

I know there are different techniques and supporting muscles for each exercise, but, I don't think it makes much sense to imply that there is little correlation as you have done.

Soem specific explanations might help. FOr instance, what is it about a 151 pound man who can bench 225 X 6 that would result in his being able to do only 46 pushups?

225 X 6 for a 150 pound man is extraordinary, close to elite level, whereas 46 pushups, an exercise that uses mostly the same muscles, is nothing special.

I am not trying to do be difficult I am just trying to understand. I am not a fitness noob, I have been studying and training for years, but therer is always more to learn and understand.

well, for one thing the stimulus for growth stays constant (or near constant) with a pushup - its a bit less than your bodyweight for a pushup. So all you can tweak is the number of reps, but once you get past a threshold of intensity then you are actually creating different types of muscle (more vein-laden cappilaries, etc). Unless you start getting a buddy to stack plates on your back while you do them. But, then you're not doing a traditional pushup anymore.

The great thing about barbell training is that you can progressively load the weight so as to provide the most fine-tuned stimulus for your body's current strength level. This progressive overload is why benching is so efficient at building chest/tri muscle.

I highly recommend people ditch the bench though. Benching is lame imo. I think a floor press is much better exercise, its a 'nastier' one - takes an incredible amount of determination to floor press a lot (for you).

I do think pushups are healthy things to do though, more like conditioning. I think they also help some people with much needed scapular stability (which translates to benching since you need a solid foundation in order to bench).

ehhh. Pushups use your triceps and pectoral muscles, as do bench presses.

I know there are different techniques and supporting muscles for each exercise, but, I don't think it makes much sense to imply that there is little correlation as you have done.

Jogging and sprinting use most of the same muscles.

However, just because you can jog for 10 miles, does not mean you will be a great sprinter. Which is why the push up/bench press correlation is relatively weak.

yes thats a good way to put it I think to really make the difference clear - jogging stimulates the same muscles as a squat but nobody jogs to get gnarly tree trunk legs. You squat for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.