• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

MDMA Magic & Loss of Magic - Truth or Illusion?

Does MDMA lose it's "magic"?

• Total voters

curvygal19

Bluelighter
Interesting discussion guys about MDMA losing it's magic. Why do you think this happens?

I resisted the party invites and MDMA for a long time as I was the only one of us into sports but one day felt a bit low and said I will come with you tonight.
Took MDMA for the first time and as I was coming up I knew I was going to love it. Came out of my shell and felt a happiness I had never felt before.

Trouble was in my ignorance I felt the need to take it every week, Friday, Saturday and often Sunday. I was just as happy at a club as I was on my own at home.
Most of my friends sensibly only did this every 3 or 4 weeks and smoked weed in between.
I never did like weed though.

After about 18 months I was just getting wired with no euphoria.
Then I was getting next to nothing off pills or powder but my mates were getting good effects so I realised I had damaged something, I assume Serotonin receptors?
Although I do not get depressed generally in life and can see no lasting effects.

I really miss the rush and euphoria and want to experience it again.
I hope Methylone can give me even 25% of the feelings MDMA gave me, that would make me satisfied.

hope Methylone can give me even 25% of the feelings MDMA gave me, that would make me satisfied.

Sounds a bit shit to me. How is a quarter of the feelings of MDMA ever going to satisfy. Would be so dissapointing especially seeing as your longing for those happy MDMA days when it was all new.

Spade, if it's shit I wont buy anymore.
25% of the feeling MDMA used to give me is 25% better than nothing.

I'll soon know anyway as I am trying it tomorrow. My will power has improved, there is no way I could have had anything in the house and not sampled it but parents are visiting me tomorrow so I can wait.

Anyway I would love to know some of the others opinions on why MDMA becomes less effective the more we take it.

I didn't mean methylone sounded a bit shit (but it is pretty shite IMO) I meant having just 25% of the feelings of MDMA. Would be underwhelming and leave you longing for more, like a poor pill or low dose of crystal. :\

It's less effective because you get used to it, build a tolerance, the novelty wears off and it becomes no longer as 'magic' etc.

MDMA Magic & Loss of - Truth or Illusion?

Illusion. Been taking MDMA regularly (and often extremely heavily) for fifteen years and it's just as good as it ever was. Others seem less lucky.

Discuss, theorise and opine away :)

PS: Split this from the "It's NOT Coke" thread as MDMA "magic" has bugger all to do with coke and the subject comes up all the time.

i think that the majority of the "magic" is the users perception of how things were when they first started taking pills.

The usual rose tinted specs scenario.

Ie when I first started taking pills

I was young
I was living the student dream
I was shagging around blisfully
I was out 3 nights a week clubbing
I had just discovered a chemical that could make me feel amazing
My body was able to quickly recover from comedowns
And even if it didn't, I had no real responsibilities to worry about
Every day was just another day to do whatever the fuck I wanted and dream about the weekend
Pills were in abundance and were generally of good to excellent quality.

I think that when you add up all these things, that's where the "magic" came from.

The biggest one is the novelty factor of it all.

I remember the first time I ever landed a 360 on my snowboard. I thought I was on top of the world. What a fucking rush. But after a while, you're popping 360's all over the fucking place so you just don't get as overwhelmed by it all.

I just think that it's one of the very few things as an adult that truly opens your eyes in a way that makes you think "fuck! You mean I can feel like this every time i take one of these????!!!!!"

That feeling of excitement, nervousness and anticipation passes with time.

absolutely agree with kappadaftie.

Think about the first time you saw your favourite film for example. If you watched it again every weekend for the next 6 months you would find it loses its "magic" pretty quickly.

Yeah, also quality going down played a part as well I guess. When high quality pills or powder came around it was just as intense as it ever was.

I think the loss of "magic" is simply as you realise it is all plastic and the happyness and empathy etc is not real but simply created by a drug masking the realities of the world, sadly. I believe it is all in perception of the experience and how you feel in yourself and out of yourself (toward others, the drug etc) that define the experience.

Changing mindset in order to make it great again is probably a bigger ask than any of us could pull off though unfortunately.

Good luck with the methy :)

I think the loss of "magic" is simply as you realise it is all plastic and the happyness and empathy etc is not real but simply created by a drug masking the realities of the world, sadly. I believe it is all in perception of the experience and how you feel in yourself and out of yourself (toward others, the drug etc) that define the experience.

I very much disagree with this. MDMA is about as far from "plastic" and "unreal" as a drug can be. Feels completely natural - like the piece of me that is missing. Has made huge changes in my life, self-image and relations with others - extremely long-lasting and positive changes. Guess I perceive it in a good way so never lost the "magic" and never will :)

Changing mindset in order to make it great again is probably a bigger ask than any of us could pull off though unfortunately.

Take more (good) MDMA (and plenty acid) then - works for me :D

Surely the feeling that everyone is your best friend, full of trust in everyone etc has been jaded by reality shammy?

Not in the slightest, Aros. Gets stronger every time I use MDMA and stays with me when I don't. The psyches have probably added to this effect but I have it anyway. It's all in how you perceive it, as you say :)

I very much disagree with this. MDMA is about as far from "plastic" and "unreal" as a drug can be. Feels completely natural - like the piece of me that is missing. Has made huge changes in my life, self-image and relations with others - extremely long-lasting and positive changes.

I 100% agree with this, it felt as though all the grime and filth, insecurity and paranoia that had swamped my fragile teenage ego over the years had suddenly been washed away, and for the firs time in my life I realised I had as much right to exist as anyone else, and furthermore, for the first time I felt a sense of connection and empathy with my fellow humans, and more specifically my friends, instead of simply fearing them.

I realise everyone has different experiences but for me and the context I used MDMA in, it was incredibly useful as a way to deal with what I would call post-traumatic stress. Context is everything.

it felt as though all the grime and filth, insecurity and paranoia that had swamped my fragile teenage ego over the years had suddenly been washed away, and for the firs time in my life I realised I had as much right to exist as anyone else, and furthermore, for the first time I felt a sense of connection and empathy with my fellow humans

This is precisely the effect it had - and still has - on me. I'm still have (but to a far lesser extent than before) a sense of fragility, insecurity and paranoia... Along with a very healthy dose of filth and grime of the very best sort, naturally :D

The realisation of the "right to exist," as you put it was a big part of it for me too, as was the empathy and connection with every other person - and all other living (and often non-living) beings. Previously I was distant, dislocated, pseudo-aloof and alienated from virtually everybody. Cannabis helped some but, shortly afterwards, I discovered MDMA (and at least as - and possibly even more importantly - LSD) and it changed everything.

That's not to say there were no negative consequences initially. Once those barriers were broken I was still very prone to pretty extreme moodswings and deep depressions and periods of mania and borderline psychosis (not specifically related to drug use - lifelong issues) but they lessened over time with repeated use.

Once I exorcised (or drugged into submission) most of my demons with heroin (and booze, other assorted downers and stims), I returned to the MDMA/psychedelic fold and am improving in every possible way with every passing day. Even my doctors, social workers and drugs counsellors agree :D

If anything, I find MDMA/psyche use is actually becoming more magical over the years rather than less. The initial changes were an enormous kickstart, but the changes become deeper and more ingrained each time :)

There is a very long thread about this at drugs forum, where a lot of people have been trying to return the originial 'magic' of MDMA by various methods. So far, the best way people have reported is by using high doses of St John Wort for a few weeks before use (some saying normal doses do it (900mg, some pushing it up to >5000mg a day!). But some have also reported side effects from this too, so it may not be an entirely safe thing to try. Another interesting idea explored in there is SSRE's role in potentiating the experience (tianetpine being one), because they work in the opposite way of SSRI's (which completely blunt MDMA's effects) they could potentially enhance it and return the magic. Also Oxytocin administration has been tried, as downregulation of the oxytocin system with recurrant MDMA use has been thought to play a prominent role in reduction of its original 'magic' effects. Oxytocin is the 'love' drug released when women give birth, when people are in love, and when peoples skin touch, etc, etc. Definately worth a look:

Returning the "magic" - The Quest Drugs Forum

For a long time experienced MDMA and ecstasy users have been plagued with the problem of the loss of magic. Which has brought along numerous arguements including that of common use is bad and the use of MDMA should be saved for special occasions among others. Losing the magic being defined as losing those amazing rushes, that massive empathy, that something special that really makes MDMA in this authors oppinion one of the most special drugs of all time. [......]

One things for sure is after getting though 3 grams of MDMA in a week a year ago (when I was a complete idiot with my use) the magic seems have been lost for good for me. Even after a years abstinence :(

This is precisely the effect it had - and still has - on me. I'm still have (but to a far lesser extent than before) a sense of fragility, insecurity and paranoia... Along with a very healthy dose of filth and grime of the very best sort, naturally :D

The realisation of the "right to exist," as you put it was a big part of it for me too, as was the empathy and connection with every other person - and all other living (and often non-living) beings. Previously I was distant, dislocated, pseudo-aloof and alienated from virtually everybody. Cannabis helped some but, shortly afterwards, I discovered MDMA (and at least as - and possibly even more importantly - LSD) and it changed everything.

That's not to say there were no negative consequences initially. Once those barriers were broken I was still very prone to pretty extreme moodswings and deep depressions and periods of mania and borderline psychosis (not specifically related to drug use - lifelong issues) but they lessened over time with repeated use.

Once I exorcised (or drugged into submission) most of my demons with heroin (and booze, other assorted downers and stims), I returned to the MDMA/psychedelic fold and am improving in every possible way with every passing day. Even my doctors, social workers and drugs counsellors agree :D

If anything, I find MDMA/psyche use is actually becoming more magical over the years rather than less. The initial changes were an enormous kickstart, but the changes become deeper and more ingrained each time :)

This is practically my life story! 8o

Years of smoking dope as a teenageer isolated me, eventually from all my friends, and I was a loner and just smoked weed and did coke.

Then I did MDMA, and BLAM! Knocked me instantly out of my stoned stupour! Phoned up all my old mates, made friends, discovered mephedrone, MDPV, all of which have enabled me to reconnect with all my old friends and become a much happier person. I'm amazingly social now, and my life is getting better and better. I've learnt now not to get carried away with using it, as its efefcts diminish. But i can safely say that MDMA saved my social life, and probably my life in general.

<3 to MDMA and <3 to everyone in general

<3<3<3

That's not to say there were no negative consequences initially.

What I found was that it allowed me to flourish in many ways, the first couple of doses really changed my perspective on life and myself, but paradoxically after a lifetime as a shy, scared, paranoid, dysfunctional misanthropic mess, to suddenly be transformed into a confident, socially promiscuous ostensibly "normal" guy just created a whole new set of problems. I was (and still am) totally unequipped to be that kind of person, and once the MDMA wore off I was regularly horrified at my behaviour.

I stopped using it really because I was starting to get really sinister feelings about the whole thing, I think these are mostly due to the situations I was taking it in and the people I was with, but I have real qualms about taking MDMA again.

I stopped using it really because I was starting to get really sinister feelings about the whole thing, I think these are mostly due to the situations I was taking it in and the people I was with, but I have real qualms about taking MDMA again.

The thing is you have to act on what you learn from it. Its powers of self introspection give your the stark truth about yourself, which can be very scary when your not on it, as you dont have the empathogenic perspective to look at your problems. Thats why MDMA therapy is, helps people actually work on what they find out, instead of just seeing the light but sobering up and then avoiding it.

I don't remember ever losing the buzz, but I did kind of tire of it after caning it too much for a few months. Some of the times in those first couple of months were simpy magical, it opened my mind up to a lot of things and I feel I came out of it a much improved person.

I think it is all about mindset. Maybe some people come to the point when they have gotten all they can "mentally" from the drug. Maybe some people always find ways to tune in again.

I remember someone describing mdma as a one time large bank deposit. You can deposit 100K (but you can never deposit any more cash) and take it all out in one week, one month, one year. You can be clever and take out little bits of cash now and again and let the interest rate you get make up for the cash withdrawals and maintain that 100K. That is the approach that I have followed.