Published The Discriminative Effects of Tramadol in Humans (Baltimore, MD)

nuke

Bluelighter
The Discriminative Effects of Tramadol in Humans

This research is part of a set of studies whose purpose is to test whether tramadol can be used for the treatment of opioid addiction. Tramadol is already available in the United States as a pain medicine marketed as Ultram. It has effects similar to morphine, and it may also have effects similar to other drugs like stimulants. The doses of tramadol used in this study are higher than those generally used for the treatment of pain. To be in this study a participant must be a user of opioids (drugs like heroin) and stimulants (drugs like cocaine), but cannot be addicted to either. The person must be between 21-55 years old, and generally healthy. Up to 12 people will take part in this study.

Estimated Enrollment: 12
Study Start Date: November 2007
Estimated Study Completion Date: August 2009
Estimated Primary Completion Date: June 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

Contacts

Locations
United States, Maryland
Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit Recruiting
Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21224
Principal Investigator: Eric C. Strain, MD

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00499746

Last edited by a moderator:
The last rehab I was in used Tramadol to wean me off heroin along with Phenobarbital to control wuld be seizures. Tramadol can cause seizures at high doeses. It worked I did not go through w/ds and I was clean for a few years.

I just used trammadol to kick a habit then i read the tramadol addicition thread.... I don't think these guys are kidding about the opiate withdrawal effects +snri effects all wrapped in one. I stopped the tramadol now I am taking bupe. I only have 32mg of bupe though, Ill dose some out in a syringe and take maybe .5 down to .01mg a day b4 kicking.

ugh.. kicking.... I hate sweating..

tramadol is on its' way to being rescheduled. I don't know how McNeil convinced the FDA (besides $$$) back in 1994 to market a partial opiate agonist as unscheduled and 'non-narcotic'. 13 states rescheduled carisprodol (Soma) and made it CIV, (it's even CIII in WV) as of September 2009 and I'm certain tramadol is the next drug with a nasty w/d profile to become scheduled.

Update:

This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants.

First Received on July 9, 2007. Last Updated on August 11, 2010