View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines DMT released upon death?

JahRed24x

Bluelighter
Have you guys ever heard that all the DMT in your body is ALL released when your about to die?

I've heard this is TRUE and that is how they can scientifically 'prove' the "near death 'EXPERIENCE' "

Well I was just wondering if anyone has any links to information about this.

I think that the idea of DMT being released while "dreaming" or "dying" is a bit of a could be true situation. Im no chemist or biologist but I would imagine that it would be a bit difficult to report on DMT being released naturally in the mind when dying...

Good question btw. Its always good to question things that you hear, I have also heard that DMT is released when you die/ dream and I always took it as a fact, but then I realized i had never gotten any PROOF. Anyone got any research on this?

If it does it means I can add another drug to the list of stuff I've done ;) Have also heard this before and it would be interesting to have it expanded on. Been reading bits and pieces about it recently. Got that Spirit Molecule book on my huge 'to buy' list.

If it were released upon dreaming, wouldn't your dreams slightly resemble a DMT trip? I have no idea, as I have never tried DMT :(

Other than that I know nothing on the subject. Will research.

Yeah true that I heard it was also released while dreaming in smaller doses but supposidly when you die its ALL released in a massive dose and some say that is how your 'spirit' or soul move to the next 'level'... Plus it would make sense seeing how a lot of the experience reports I've read about people smoking DMT all say the same thing: "I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO DIE" , "I thought i was really dead..." and shit like that just makes me think hmmm maybe this is one substance I shall leave to fate.

Yeah true that I heard it was also released while dreaming in smaller doses but supposidly when you die its ALL released in a massive dose and some say that is how your 'spirit' or soul move to the next 'level'... Plus it would make sense seeing how a lot of the experience reports I've read about people smoking DMT all say the same thing: "I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO DIE" , "I thought i was really dead..." and shit like that just makes me think hmmm maybe this is one substance I shall leave to fate.

I feel very comfortable with my own mortality now that I've been there and back through DMT... It's a scary prospect to choose your own death experience, but I haven't met anyone that regretted going there..just sayin;)

The near death experience isn't that much like DMT at any dose (I've vividly experienced both), but is more dissociative in nature (ie ketamine like) with a shit load of beta-endorphin thrown in for good measure.

At least that's the way it felt to me

The whole theory of DMT being released during dreaming and death in DMT: The Spirit Molecule was conjecture. There is no way it can be proven as fact, and considering anecdotes regarding near death experiences from people who've experienced them, high-dose IM ketamine would likely be closer to what someone goes through at the point of death.

The widespread adoption of Strassman's theories as truth in some circles has really, for lack of a better term, pissed me off.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had a fractal-tunnel dream sooner or later though, considering the amount of psychedelic art I make or go through in my spare time. that would be pretty awesome.

The near death experience isn't that much like DMT at any dose (I've vividly experienced both), but is more dissociative in nature (ie ketamine like) with a shit load of beta-endorphin thrown in for good measure.

At least that's the way it felt to me

I always thought that if the NDE was like a DMT trip, then there would be reports of fractal imagery, not just a bright light, and I have never heard that being reported.

^^ true, strassman proposed the theory in The Spirit Molecule, but thats all it is a theory. I would be very suprised if death resembled a dmt trip, all though i wouldnt be suprised if small amounts were released during death, since the tunnels visions ive had on dmt resemble (from what ive read) the "going towards the light." It also may help facilitate the "life review" that is often described in NDE. Im no scientist though, just theories ofa guy sitting on his computer.

I'm skeptical of this as well. I have Strassman's book, and it's an interesting theory, but there is really not much evidence to support it. Many people I know cling to this as a proven fact, however, which it is not. We don't even know for sure that DMT is produced in the pineal gland, but rather just that all the necessary ingredients to produce it are there.

However, I once heard referenced a study in which DMT, along with 5-MeO-DMT, had been detected in the urine of schizophrenic patients and chronically depressed patients at a mental institution. It was almost never detected in the urine of mentally healthy people, such as doctors, at that same institution.

DMT is brought back down to baseline very quickly, so it would be hard to study this subject. If its true... and you are thrust into the DMT scape after you die. I believe one would eventualy learn to control it and perhaps the strange objects we're presented with are tools or building blocks for us to use to build our own reality/universe. "she bestowed what I perceived to be Godlike powers upon me. She gifted me with strange morphing spheres that I was meant to do something with, but I dont know what to do... Yet!" Donnie C ;)

This idea was postulated by Rick Strassman but has never been verified/proven. I believe it could be true. All that has been proven for sure is that DMT has been detected in the body when someone has not ingested any. Strassmna postulated that the pineal gland produces it, but this is also just a theory.

Even if it's true, what you say, that your body releases "all of its DMT", is a nonsensical statement. Your body would not have a set amount of DMT that could all be released, like a woman is born with a set number of eggs. If your body does produce DMT, it would be like all of the other endogenous chemicals we produce, and it would be produced through chemical reactions of precursors as needed. Therefore, you body would possibly release whatever DMT it has created into the blood upon death, or it would quickly produce some, or something like that.

Personally, I think the theory may very well be true, but it should not be passed off as fact (though it often is). The idea makes sense... DMT released in order to help propel the consciousness out of the body and into the next stage of existence.

I'm pretty sure its only been trace amounts found in the body anyway, nothing that could give any sort of significant effects

"DMT released in order to help propel the consciousness out of the body and into the next stage of existence."

Well how bout we just go on this theory that DMT is released or made or w/e but lets just say you are propelled into a 'DMT trip' upon death. Lets talk about this theory and let the members of this community who have experienced REAL smokable DMT that is incredibly strong talk about what they THINK or BELIEVE. I have never personally experienced DMT orally or smokable but have talk to others who have and read many experience reports and they ALL said the same thing: its the most intense psychedelic experience they have ever had. And I am not saying this is true but I have personally witnessed someone die and they passed with strange hallucinations and words to say. whether or not these 'hallucinations' are caused by some kind of DMT reaction or just the reaction to the morphine they were probably on...... So i dunno its an interesting subject i've always 'WONDERED' about and again if anyone has any other info on this DMT released upon death/dreaming then lets see it!!!

What do you guys that have tried DMT think about this theory? Relate your DMT experience and if you could actually see something like this happening upon death or if it would do anything.. like that one guy said about the"tools and building your own universe" (interesting)

Last edited:
I know what it actually is. Your body releases K upon death. Ah that makes sense :p and maybe its more like a K/DMT mix when you die *ponders intently*.

DMT is produced in your body, and your, brain, all the time. Regardless of the state of wakefulness. This is something that has been tested clinically. It would not be able to cross the blood brain barrier if it were not for the fact that your brain actively transports it across. MAOI destroys it extremely quickly, just like it does to serotonin and other chemicals, in order to regulate a constant level.

So, you are always experiencing the effects of DMT. Just like you are always experiencing the effects of serotonin. And just as the levels of various neurotransmitters - and efficiency of transmission - are in a state of flux over time, so the nature of our consciousness also fluctuates. Accounting for clinical depression, schizophrenia etc.

As to the endogenous dump of DMT from the pineal at times of stress such as death, it hasn't been proven or dis-proven. The theory didn't emerge from nowhere for no reason. Since no person has actually come back from full necrotic brain death, our anecdotes are still influenced by our tether to conditions of what we call life. It is entirely possible that the DMT dump is not a sudden release, but has preconditioned kinetics which enables the transition to DMT space to fully occur after the point in death when we are completely dissociated from all familiar forms of state-specific memory.

About DMT during sleep: again we have no data as yet to show that there is increased DMT in the brain after crossing the liminal threshold of sleep. The nature of in vivo testing makes this difficult. However it is a sound working hypothesis of an ever growing sector of the scientific community. It may be that during sleep we simply produce higher levels of DMT, but since a whole array of other neurochemical systems alter during sleep as well, it is another subjective experience altogether.

In vivo, all such things are hard to corroborate and reproduce as empirical evidence. But this doesn't mean it should not be taken seriously and studied further. Such has always been the nature of psychedelic research in psychiatry in general. And we will be soon mapping the brain with psychedelics, to produce the best model of the mechanics of mind we have ever had.

just wanted to tack-on, dmt is a very common chemical found in lots and lots of living organisms (though in miniscule amounts).

i personally dont believe death is anything like a dmt trip, and from the dmt trips ive had i kinda hope its not :)

according to strassman when you die adrenaline or stress hormone over rides the protective barrier around your pineal gland triggering the relase of a massive amount of dmt into your brain and blood system...alothough he could never fully prove this... i will believe almost anything that guys says ...lol

^ a brilliant man, yet, i dont pay attention to any theories of what happens after death because there is truly only one way to know, and im not quite ready for my final experiment