• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines DMT released upon death?

As far as dreaming and DMT go, the two are not alike unless you have some super far out dreams. The state that to me seems most like high dose DMT is the state experienced in deep meditation where a person loses reference to material reality and any sense of time. I can't speak personally for NDEs, but it seems strong NMDA antagonists fit the bill for producing experiences like those according to anecdotes.

I wouldn't say that endogenous DMT plays a role in this so much as serotonin does. Whether it's mediated by endogenous DMT in some way, or whether DMT found in fluid samples somehow occured in vitro, whether DMT, if it occurs in the body is just a metabolite of intermediate or not is all petty uncertain. I'm not sure what more can be said about it.

I have an advanced pharmacology textbook kicking around which explains the metabolic pathway of endogenous DMT. I can't be bothered to rummage for it now, but I will tell you this:

Endogenous DMT has been known for a long time, way before Strassman's '90s research/trials. Decades even. You need to read some books, there's not much on the net. But I will post a bunch of citations and links...

Literature

Steven A. Barker, John A. Monti, Samuel T. Christian, "N,N-Dimethyltryptamine: An Endogenous Hallucinogen," International Review of Neurobiology 22 (1981): 83-110.

--

Tryptamine (Try), 5-methoxytryptamine (5MeOT), N-methyltryptamine (N-Met), 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5MeODMT) and N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) are metabolites of the neurotransmitter 5-hydroxytryptamine (5HT). The cisternal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is probably a suitable biological material for investigating the problem of indolamine metabolism in schizophrenic patients. As part of a biological research programme on schizophrenia we have investigated concentrations of cisternal CSF indolamines in a group of acute paranoid patients in comparison with psychiatrically healthy controls. The concentrations of indolamines in the cisternal CSF reveal that psychotomimetic indolamines like 5MeODMT, 5MeOT and DMT and the indolamines N-Met and Try are present in psychological and pathological states. The patients suffering from acute paranoid schizophrenia have high or very high levels of the investigated indolamines in comparison with healthy controls, but there are significant individual differences in the group of these patients. The search for correlations between the level of a single indolamine and individual psychopathological symptoms could provide more specific information for diagnosis or treatment.
Uebelhack R; Franke L; Seidel K, "Methylated and unmethylated indolamine in the cisternal fluid in acute endogenous psychoses," Biomedica biochimica acta 1983;42(10):1343-6. http://tinyurl.com/cqdu5j
--

The sigma-1 receptor is widely distributed in the central nervous system and periphery. Originally mischaracterized as an opioid receptor, the sigma-1 receptor binds a vast number of synthetic compounds but does not bind opioid peptides; it is currently considered an orphan receptor. The sigma-1 receptor pharmacophore includes an alkylamine core, also found in the endogenous compound N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT). DMT acts as a hallucinogen, but its receptor target has been unclear. DMT bound to sigma-1 receptors and inhibited voltage-gated sodium ion (Na+) channels in both native cardiac myocytes and heterologous cells that express sigma-1 receptors. DMT induced hypermobility in wild-type mice but not in sigma-1 receptor knockout mice. These biochemical, physiological, and behavioral experiments indicate that DMT is an endogenous agonist for the sigma-1 receptor.

1 Department of Pharmacology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53706, USA.
2 Department of Physiology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53706, USA.
3 Pharmaceutical Research Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan 84156, IR Iran.
Dominique Fontanilla, Molly Johannessen, Abdol R. Hajipour, Nicholas V. Cozzi, Meyer B. Jackson, Arnold E. Ruoho, "The Hallucinogen N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) Is an Endogenous Sigma-1 Receptor Regulator," Science 13 February 2009: Vol. 323. no. 5916, pp. 934 - 937

--

Abstract: N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a hallucinogen found endogenously in human brain that is commonly recognized to target the 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor or the trace amine–associated receptor to exert its psychedelic effect. DMT has been recently shown to bind sigma-1 receptors, which are ligand-regulated molecular chaperones whose function includes inhibiting various voltage-sensitive ion channels. Thus, it is possible that the psychedelic action of DMT might be mediated in part through sigma-1 receptors. Here, we present a hypothetical signaling scheme that might be triggered by the binding of DMT to sigma-1 receptors.
T.-P. Su, T. Hayashi, D. B. Vaupel, When the Endogenous Hallucinogenic Trace Amine N,N-Dimethyltryptamine Meets the Sigma-1 Receptor. Sci. Signal. 2, pe12 (2009). http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/2/61/pe12

--

The presence of the potent hallucinogenic psychoactive chemical N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the human body has puzzled scientists for decades. Endogenous DMT was investigated in the 1960s and 1970s and it was proposed that DMT was involved in psychosis and schizophrenia. This hypothesis developed from comparisons of the blood and urine of schizophrenic and control subjects. However, much of this research proved inconclusive and conventional thinking has since held that trace levels of DMT, and other endogenous psychoactive tryptamines, are insignificant metabolic byproducts. The recent discovery of a G-protein-coupled, human trace amine receptor has triggered a reappraisal of the role of compounds present in limited concentrations in biological systems. Interestingly enough, DMT and other psychoactive tryptamine hallucinogens elicit a robust response at the trace amine receptor. While it is currently accepted that serotonin 5-HT(2A) receptors play a pivotal role in the activity of hallucinogenic/psychedelic compounds, we propose that the effects induced by exogenous DMT administration, especially at low doses, are due in part to activity at the trace amine receptor. Furthermore, we suggest that endogenous DMT interacts with the TA receptor to produce a calm and relaxed mental state, which may suppress, rather than promote, symptoms of psychosis. This hypothesis may help explain the inconsistency in the early analysis of endogenous DMT in humans. Finally, we propose that amphetamine action at the TA receptor may contribute to the calming effects of amphetamine and related drugs, especially at low doses.
Jacob MS, Presti DE. Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3200, USA. "Endogenous psychoactive tryptamines reconsidered: an anxiolytic role for dimethyltryptamine," Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(5):930-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15780487?log$=activity

--

Abstract The hallucinogenic substance Nprime,Nprime-dimethyltryptamine and its precursor N-methyltryptamine were found in 24-h speciments of urine from 19 normal human subjects; the mean excretion rates were 386 ng 24 h-1 and 856 ng 24 h-1 respectively. The urinary excretion of both compounds was unrelated to age, sex, urinary volume, or creatinine, nor was any consistent diurnal pattern observed. Rates for the mono and dimethylated compounds were not correlated. Diet and the intestinal flora were excluded as a source of urinary dimethyltryptamine. Administration to 4 subjects of sufficient ammonium chloride to increase the H ion concentration of the urine caused a transient increase in dimethyltryptamine excretion but no consistent increase in the rate for N-methyltryptamine. Acidification of the urine did not appear to be the determining factor in this result since in one subject the same drop in urinary pH was achieved by feeding methionine without any increase in dimethyltryptamine axcretion.
Michael C. H. Oon, Robin M. Murray, Richard Rodnight, Marion P. Murphy and James L. T. Birley, "Factors affecting the urinary excretion of endogenously formed dimethyltryptamine in normal human subjects," Psychopharmacology, Volume 54, Number 2 / January, 1977, 171-175.

--

That should be enough for you to chew on for a while.

I think the fact its been detected in the human body is intriguing alone. What is its purpose? The only similarity DMT and dreams have for me are the way they both just fade away into a couple snapshots of memory after a couple days.

I think it's present in lots of living things tho - not just human beings. What's it's purpose in mimosa for example?

^Indolic compounds are pretty widespread in a few kingdoms of life. The auxins, which are plant hormones are a good example of indoles that serve a fairly vital function in an organism. There are even a number of species of mushroom with serotonin in them. What the function of tryptamines like DMT and some of it's analogs are in plants, I can't say, but they maye have some effect on cell growth and proliferation, like the auxins. I can't really say though, that's just a guess.

I know this is some what of an old post, and maybe i missed a comment or there is another thread or somthing ....

But it seams like the majority is basing standing around DMT not causing the NDE because there experiences are different and people comments of NDE's of the past do not resemble a trip of DMT.

The Core question IMO is what chemicals are released when you die....
What chemicals are released when you sleep....

The strassman theories make a bucket load of sense if u look at it from above.

Following the theorie just for fun say its true DMT is released when you die or NDE to say its not the same as smoking or ingesting or whatever method of DMT, i think you would be a little nieve to think it would be the same ....

You have multiple chemicals released from the brain at any given time, to alter moods , pain ect ect....

It would be on the right line to say a bunch of these would be released hitting the right receptors in some form of a balance could create any visual or common going to the white light experience.....

Just like sleep, if dmt is released there are other things going on aswell, to say that they are not the same i agree with....

I could be totally wrong who knows .....

If u tried to recreate the experience with DMT, E Adrenalin or whatever else u may well die.

It would be next to impossible to recreate exactly what a brain does in the fraction of time...

PEACE !

If it does it means I can add another drug to the list of stuff I've done ;) Have also heard this before and it would be interesting to have it expanded on. Been reading bits and pieces about it recently. Got that Spirit Molecule book on my huge 'to buy' list.

You won't regret it, Dr. Strassman is a unique and interesting individual. The book is a scientific synthesis of multiple studies, complete with descriptions about the absurd trials he had to go through to even be able to do the studies.

While scientific, his writing style is easy enough to read, and you'll find you've blown through the rather dense book in no time.

I highly recommend that and dmt.

Following the theorie just for fun say its true DMT is released when you die or NDE to say its not the same as smoking or ingesting or whatever method of DMT, i think you would be a little nieve to think it would be the same ....

You have multiple chemicals released from the brain at any given time, to alter moods , pain ect ect....

Not many other chemicals in the human body are as ferociously psychedelic as DMT tho. In fact I can't think of any drug that's going to over-ride the effect of DMT. DMT grabs your attention.

I didnt say override.

So no matter what chemical was released in the brain, the brain would only notice dmt nothing else ? So if there was a serotonin , dopamine, adrenalin, endorphans or anything on the long list, the end result would be the same because dmt owns the roads ?

If thats true than i cant see the theory having much credit at all really...

I dont belive one chemical can shut down every other chemical in the brain, they might not or will not override DMT but onces experience within a bodys normal reaction could simulate a broad similarity during the NDE.

If DMT release is apart of the visual stimulation sensation experienced there needs to be more going on in NDE is all im thiunking :D

i remember reading that Julius Axelrod, a nobel-winning scientist found DMT in human blood in 1972 i believe.

it's been a while since i've read up on it though. at a glance i just now read that he did research on the pineal as well as catecholamine neurotransmitters...lol is it only irony that he was studying these fields and then found dmt in blood??

anyone who reads up on this, i'd be interested in confirming it. right now it's another tid-bit of psychedelically associated information that i highlighted in my memory...but all my file folder reads is 1972 Julis Axelrod: DMT in Human Blood, the document is missing..!

on another note,
(while i neither condone nor oppose this experiment)
those of you interested in consuming psychedelics at death...
instead of smoking dmt at death, maybe you could just take a strong dose of maois :D
prolong one's experiences of death...lol

personally, if i happen to be under the influence of something that's okay...but if i'm given time to prepare for my death consciously i would simply connect with the the heavens and the earth and mediate, maybe give a final thanks for my experiences...going out with prayer (not OHMYGOD HELP ME...!! kind of desperation prayer, a solemn thanks prayer) or medtation seems only appropriate for myself.

Lol, strong dose of MAOI is a fresh idea. :-D

I would prefer that I die sober for many reasons... Because it is silly to die because of overdose of chemical, and because I would like to experience death as is.

Also, is there any evidence that something special is released during death?

My favorite people in this thread are the ones who either don't read the whole thing or are just straight up ignoring the "There is no evidence its just some guys theory" posts. It reminds me creationists being presented with fossils.

Whether or not there is endogenous DMT in the body (and there is some evidence for its presence) there is not only no evidence for it being released at death, and the amounts found in the human body are orders of magnitude lower than would be needed for even a threshold experience.

If you are going to entertain the theory, please be like Xorkoth, and at least have a scientific awareness of the no-evidence business.

DMT stays in the body for a matter of minutes. This is why there are no traces of DMT found in bodies after they die. It's hard to nab a dead person in 15 minutes and cut him open and extract blood. There's a procedure to respect when someone passes away, this is why further, more advanced studies on DMT are hard to do...

They can do experiments and stuff like that, but it's hard to physically study the substance. I think in the next 20 years we will have MUCH more to say about DMT and its effects. One thing's for sure, this substance is incredibly fascinating. I think Strassman was/is on to something that will lead down a very deep rabbit hole.

when i did DMT i thought i was in a dream. it felt very similar. but then again psychs can make you feel crazy things.

the first time i hit DMT it was a very familiar feeling.... if thats any sort of proof

I am actually counting on dmt to be released upon human death, and thats your last glimpse of being is "remembering" the DMT head space as true reality.

But i've not tried DMT nor have I died. But I would like to try them in that order.

the first time i hit DMT it was a very familiar feeling....

Same here, and we are not the only ones. My best friend whom I've been getting DMT from said even the taste was extremley familiar to him the first time he smoked it.

I'm currently working up the courage to break through again. I've smoked about a gram and a half over the past 6 days, I've broken through 3 times. They were all great, except the last one, where I went on some reptile jawn. I've experienced some fucking insane shit, especially with mushrooms, but that trip scared me half to death. I just couldn't get out of that negative, psychotic head space until it wore off. Thus, the working up of courage. Lol.

when i did DMT i thought i was in a dream. it felt very similar. but then again psychs can make you feel crazy things.

Do you really think DMT is like dreaming? I think dreaming and tripping on DMT are about as different as you can get.