• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines DMT released upon death?

^ hmm... this gives me ideas. Like they say that special agents etc. (or maybe I just remember the Duke Leto from Dune...) would have false teeth which could be broken if you bite down hard enough, and then would release a poison in case the person were captured... some sort of miniature vaporizer with, say, 50mg of DMT in a false molar... this might work %)

My question is:

Is DMT released during the dying process or precisely at the time of death? If the latter, there would be no conciousness present for the chemical to be experienced.

DMT is produced in your body, and your, brain, all the time. Regardless of the state of wakefulness. This is something that has been tested clinically. It would not be able to cross the blood brain barrier if it were not for the fact that your brain actively transports it across. MAOI destroys it extremely quickly, just like it does to serotonin and other chemicals, in order to regulate a constant level.

So, you are always experiencing the effects of DMT. Just like you are always experiencing the effects of serotonin. And just as the levels of various neurotransmitters - and efficiency of transmission - are in a state of flux over time, so the nature of our consciousness also fluctuates. Accounting for clinical depression, schizophrenia etc.

As to the endogenous dump of DMT from the pineal at times of stress such as death, it hasn't been proven or dis-proven. The theory didn't emerge from nowhere for no reason. Since no person has actually come back from full necrotic brain death, our anecdotes are still influenced by our tether to conditions of what we call life. It is entirely possible that the DMT dump is not a sudden release, but has preconditioned kinetics which enables the transition to DMT space to fully occur after the point in death when we are completely dissociated from all familiar forms of state-specific memory.

About DMT during sleep: again we have no data as yet to show that there is increased DMT in the brain after crossing the liminal threshold of sleep. The nature of in vivo testing makes this difficult. However it is a sound working hypothesis of an ever growing sector of the scientific community. It may be that during sleep we simply produce higher levels of DMT, but since a whole array of other neurochemical systems alter during sleep as well, it is another subjective experience altogether.

In vivo, all such things are hard to corroborate and reproduce as empirical evidence. But this doesn't mean it should not be taken seriously and studied further. Such has always been the nature of psychedelic research in psychiatry in general. And we will be soon mapping the brain with psychedelics, to produce the best model of the mechanics of mind we have ever had.

Sources for endogenous DMT? Not that I'm saying you are wrong, but every time I've looked sources confirming it to be true, I've always found that there isn't much evidence to definitively say it is true

Sources for endogenous DMT? Not that I'm saying you are wrong, but every time I've looked sources confirming it to be true, I've always found that there isn't much evidence to definitively say it is true

I too have had difficulty locating much that is defintive about endogenous DMT. It has been extracted from spinal fluid and urine, but I have also heard that the "extraction" process of such might have actually catalysed the production of DMT from endogenous tryptamines such as serotonin and melatonin....

Changa DMT is the bomb :p

If you take a large enough dose it does feel like you are being born again when you come out of it. It's quite an amazing experience and much more meaningful than any other psychadelic that i've tried.

I have broken through a few times, let me tell you it's scary as hell while you're there.

^I don't personally find the breakthrough space scary at all- just fascinating. Too much going on, and not enough ME there, to get scared. :)

I rather pure DMT then changa, but hey- I like em both....:) <3

FWIW as it regards the parallels between NDE's and a DMT trip, a friend of mine IV'd approximately 80-100mg of DMT. He was essentially knocked out and unresponsive for about 10 minutes, eyelids fluttering, heavy breathing, and body completely still and lying down. He came out of it just repeating "wow wow wow, holy fucking shit, etc." Asked to describe what happened, he responded only with "I died." Apparently he experienced no real visual distortions, no real mental "trip", nothing of the classic psychedelic effects, just total ego obliteration and merging with everything, and then came out of it with a wondrous feeling of rebirth.

That's intense. Personally my experiences with DMT have not seemed death-like. The last time I smoked it I did experience myself merging into that moment from several trajectories in space-time, leading to some massive synchronicity. But it seemed more like life than death. :)

Hey SKL. Nice to see you here. <3

DMT is nothing like dreaming. DMT is like DMT. I don't think DMT is released on death either - near-death experiences don't sound psychedelic. If DMT was being released people would be talking about incredibly vivid colours, aliens and shapes rather than "lights at the end of the tunnel".

I think it's bullshit.

I think the fact its been detected in the human body is intriguing alone. What is its purpose? The only similarity DMT and dreams have for me are the way they both just fade away into a couple snapshots of memory after a couple days.

DMT is nothing like dreaming. DMT is like DMT. I don't think DMT is released on death either - near-death experiences don't sound psychedelic. If DMT was being released people would be talking about incredibly vivid colours, aliens and shapes rather than "lights at the end of the tunnel".

I think it's bullshit.

Yeah, I agree with you about the "light at the end of the tunnel" thing. I've never heard someone who had a near-death or death-then-revived experience who described anything like a DMT experience.

does ANYONE, have sources for endogenous DMT in humans. I'll reiterate the fact that I haven't seen anything definitive, and majority of those in this thread say that it is a 'fact' that humans naturally produce DMT. Where are you guy's sources?

Anyone besides Rick Strassman. I'd like to see something with more fact and less speculation.

does ANYONE, have sources for endogenous DMT in humans. I'll reiterate the fact that I haven't seen anything definitive, and majority of those in this thread say that it is a 'fact' that humans naturally produce DMT. Where are you guy's sources?

This is a contradiction of my last post, but its not really a 'fact' is it? Dr Rick, and his fantastic 400 pin prick's. We need 'facts' people!

I really do not like these 'theories,' they have no basis in fact. Actually I would just call them ideas rather than theories.

There are also other possible explanations for the prescence of dmt in the body. I am actually surprised no one mentioned it yet (unless I missed it), but it quite possible that the dmt is not endogenous at all but rather is in the body in trace amounts because it is in much of our food in small amounts. It is so common that many of the plants farm animals eat contain small amounts, and we in turn eat the animal w/ the dmt it ate.

It just bugs me that strassman and the like made such huge jumps of logic, they saw that humans often contain dmt, and then came up with an eloborate idea that it is produced in the pineal and is the cause of dreams and near death experiences. This is an enormous leap and in my opinion is of little to no merit. I just cannot stand these ideas being repeated over and over again as fact within the drug community despite their lack of evidence. They are only believed because they are appealing to drug users.

By the way, I am not saying it is not possibly true, only that at this point there is not near enough evidence to come to the conclusions they did.