Bluelight

Thread: Bay Leaves - First time - My conclusion of the subject

1. Collapse Details
    Bay Leaves - First time - My conclusion of the subject 
    Greenlighter
    We've all heard it. Bay leaves supposedly get you high, not insanely high, but just mildly. Like I said, we've all heard, but have we all tried it?

I ran out of weed yesterday and figured I'd give this a shot, I mean why not? So I pack a nice little bowl of the leaves, light up and take a few hits. This is about 15 minutes later I'm writing this, and honestly, I do feel somewhat clouded. Mostly my vision is odd, like looking up and down from the keyboard is really trippy, and it seems like I was just in the sun and came inside (You know, that solarized feeling.) Kind of craving a sandwich too.

So yeah, this was just for experimentation and exploration with something I had sitting in the cabinet. I should clarify, I used freshly store bought bay leaves.

I guess that's it. This is my first post and I hope it wasn't completely useless ;D.

2. Collapse Details

I believe it, though I've never heard of it before.

Actually, it seems unusual that more of the strong spices don't have recognized psychedelic effects.

If you aren't poor, next time you go to the grocery store buy a pack of whole vanilla beans ($15 for two) Then when you get home, nibble on the end of one for a bit. This wraps my whole head in a weird feeling instantly, and the complex mix of flavors and smells drugs me the fuck out.

HOWEVER a warning: I believe you can ruin spices for yourself if you use them to get high. I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle nutmeg again. Chai tea, oatmeal raisin cookes, pumpkin pie... I ruined like half of my favorite foods by experimenting with nutmeg.

3. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Ah, I had thought many people heard of this. Maybe not.

Haha, I haven't heard of the vanilla bean. I'll try it.

Luckily for me, I don't like any of the things you listed hahaha. I have been wanting to try nutmeg, but only have old ground up nutmeg in containers (Possibly a year old.) Would that still work for me, if I use the correct dosage of course? And you can sleep on nutmeg, right?

4. Collapse Details

I have three friends who also 'got into' nutmeg in highschool, and we all had real difficulty ever judging a proper dosage. All the powders have different potencies; different nuts from the same container seem vary in strength widely, and it takes hours and hours to kick in sometimes.

I've fallen into troubled, feverish sleep on it, it was like being sick but not as bad as the flu.
    Last edited by An Iz; 31-03-2009 at 01:22.

5. Collapse Details

Placebo effect, but if you like it... why not?

6. Collapse Details

Have you ever thought about all the things an abstract term like 'placebo effect' must represent?

Considering the link between thoughts and the physical state of the brain, I think we do ourselves a disservice throwing around the term 'placebo effect' with assurance that we know what we're talking about.

My favourite example illustrating what I mean: Heroin addicts who have a large tolerance can die from a variant of the 'placebo effect' if they take their usual dose in an unusual setting. Check it out!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by An Iz View Post
    I believe it, though I've never heard of it before.

Actually, it seems unusual that more of the strong spices don't have recognized psychedelic effects.

If you aren't poor, next time you go to the grocery store buy a pack of whole vanilla beans ($15 for two) Then when you get home, nibble on the end of one for a bit. This wraps my whole head in a weird feeling instantly, and the complex mix of flavors and smells drugs me the fuck out.

HOWEVER a warning: I believe you can ruin spices for yourself if you use them to get high. I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle nutmeg again. Chai tea, oatmeal raisin cookes, pumpkin pie... I ruined like half of my favorite foods by experimenting with nutmeg.
    I've got some vanilla bean extract here. Can't find too much info on what effects it has - other than it can increase adrenaline.

The jar says 1 teaspoon = 1 whole vanilla bean. Perhaps I should try just a bit? How much do you eat and what is the onset/expected reaction?

Nutmeg is also ruined for me Custard tarts will never be the same.

8. Collapse Details

The beans are long, black, oily things that REEK of vanilla. I didn't even eat any, only chewed on it till all I could taste or smell was vanilla- Which only took like 2 millimeters worth of bean. You can probably imagine what that would be like already.

If I only had the extract I'd probably just smell it for a few long, slow inhales. I wouldn't expect anything too much though-- even if you had the beans-- because who really believes in aromatherapy, right?

One caveat- imitation vanilla contains only one of the probably thousands of esters (flavour chems) in the real deal, so it doesn't work. (imo)

9. Collapse Details

there's only 3 components which create the natural vanilla pod bouquet, and none are esters. vanillin (which can be either natural, or artificial), is by far and large the main one. the other two are also aldehydes.

10. Collapse Details

The point of that was to say the two taste really different.

11. Collapse Details

better say less

12. Collapse Details

Have you ever thought about all the things an abstract term like 'placebo effect' must represent?

Considering the link between thoughts and the physical state of the brain, I think we do ourselves a disservice throwing around the term 'placebo effect' with assurance that we know what we're talking about.

My favourite example illustrating what I mean: Heroin addicts who have a large tolerance can die from a variant of the 'placebo effect' if they take their usual dose in an unusual setting. Check it out!
    ^not sure how this "disproves" the placebo effect. The placebo effect is actually very strongly scientifically documented.

anyway, to the op, ive never heard of bay leavesgetting you high before. ive tried many of the "legal smoke's" and all i ever got off any of that was a sore throat.

13. Collapse Details

The beans are long, black, oily things that REEK of vanilla. I didn't even eat any, only chewed on it till all I could taste or smell was vanilla- Which only took like 2 millimeters worth of bean. You can probably imagine what that would be like already.

If I only had the extract I'd probably just smell it for a few long, slow inhales. I wouldn't expect anything too much though-- even if you had the beans-- because who really believes in aromatherapy, right?

One caveat- imitation vanilla contains only one of the probably thousands of esters (flavour chems) in the real deal, so it doesn't work. (imo)
    Wow, just tried that with a vanilla bean and it was disgusting

The extract tasted nice, but neither had any sort of effect. Not that I was expecting anything! :P

I wouldn't expect anything with bay leaves either, but if you get a good placebo, more power to you mate.

14. Collapse Details

I actually learned about this in psych.

This is actually an effect of classical coniditioning in which your brain gets used to injecting the drug in a particular environment such that it prepares itself with a compensatory response before you even inject the drug. This is to maintain homeostasis. It is a conditioned, pavlovian response.

Because the user is used to injecting that dose, they think it is fine in a new environment but because this preparatory response is absent in a unrecognized environment the effect is absent. This causes the drug to be more effective than they are used to and can result in accidental overdose.

If you wanna read more about it look at 'drug overdose' on wiki under 'misconceptions'.

This isn't really a variant of the placebo effects. Don't be quick to dismiss the idea of placebo, it is a well documented and common phenomenon.
    Last edited by Delta-9-THC; 03-04-2009 at 23:01.

15. Collapse Details

up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    i used to work with a guy who would drink vanilla extract while he was at work to stay drunk.