• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
wesmdow said:
well i live in austin texas, so most of the aussie pet ideas are out.

You can still get aussie animals as pets in america, including sugar gliders and wallabies.

I'm going to reapeat what's already been said about raccoons, whether or not you listen is obviously your choice.

Raccoons make horrible pets, I know this first hand. They are cute and lovable as babies, but when they grow up they are just as aggressive as if you caught one in the wild. They are not domestic animals and should not be kept as so. It's cruel to them, and you'll likely get hurt.

QuestionEverything said:
Raccoons ... are not domestic animals and should not be kept as so.
Same can (and should) be said about 90% of the animals mentioned in this thread.

yeah the problem with exotic pets are that they are a novelty. i am a big believer that any animal can be kept if done properly you seem to want something because it is cool, and not because you love and respect the animal....though i may be wrong, and i do apologize.

if you live in an apartment, i think everything in this thread needs to be thrown out unless you want a tiny dog, cat, fish or reptile. even the birds, because their squawking isn't fair to your neighbors.

DarthMom said:
yeah the problem with exotic pets are that they are a novelty. i am a big believer that any animal can be kept if done properly you seem to want something because it is cool, and not because you love and respect the animal....though i may be wrong, and i do apologize.

if you live in an apartment, i think everything in this thread needs to be thrown out unless you want a tiny dog, cat, fish or reptile. even the birds, because their squawking isn't fair to your neighbors.
i REALLY want a kitty cat. but my dear friend is allergic to cats.... thats why im asking what a COOL, non-cat type pet might be.

personality is really important to me-- i want an animal that can love me back-- which is why im thinking i want a mammal. we are looking into hedgehogs.

do hedgehogs smell bad or cause allergies? are they nice? those are our main 2 concerns.

i dont just want a cool animal for the image--although if there WAS a badass animal that could be friendly--i was thinking raccoon, but ill take everyones advice and keep my eyes in their sockets.

poodles are more like angry little people than dogs really...

plus they look all cute and petable, but when someone (besides its keepers) tries to touch it, WAHM!

When I was little I had the coolest pets ever, ant lions.

dwightantlion1_ezr.jpg

antlion6.jpg

I caught about ten ant lions and put them in a big box filled with sand. They dig holes in the sand and hide under the surface and wait for ants to fall into them, they then grab the ant's heads with their claws/teeth (whatever those scary-looking instruments are) and bite them and throw them about until they die. Fascinating animals. I caught the ants by putting honey on a piece of paper and leaving it outside until they stuck to it, then let them loose in the lion's den. It was better than tv! Slightly cruel, but that's how nature works.

I also tried keeping butterflies but they died :( *is ashamed*

glitterbizkit said:

I caught about ten ant lions and put them in a big box filled with sand. They dig holes in the sand and hide under the surface and wait for ants to fall into them, they then grab the ant's heads with their claws/teeth (whatever those scary-looking instruments are) and bite them and throw them about until they die. Fascinating animals. I caught the ants by putting honey on a piece of paper and leaving it outside until they stuck to it, then let them loose in the lion's den. It was better than tv! Slightly cruel, but that's how nature works.

I also tried keeping butterflies but they died :( *is ashamed*

My six year old would LOVE those ant lions! I'm going to have to check around and see what I find. Also, don't feel bad, most butterflies have an extremely short life span (most are around 2- 14 days), there are exceptions to this, but your butterflies probably died because they were supposed to. :)

Mehm said:
poodles are more like angry little people than dogs really...

plus they look all cute and petable, but when someone (besides its keepers) tries to touch it, WAHM!

nonono. i have a toy poodle, and everyone loves her, she is the sweetest thing, totally lovable

unless she gets a hold of people food, of course. then you lose a finger. i haven't quite gotten the hang of training her to not bite with people food, so we can't give it to her anymore :( i used to homecook for her, and now she gets dog food, good stuff of course, organic, but dog food nonetheless.

glitterbizkit said:

My housemates and I had some pet Antlions recently :)

I'm pretty interested in all things natural and had no idea they existed until about a year ago when my housemate pointed them out to me in the front yard. Can't believe I'd gone through my whole life not knowing they existed.

I can't believe that you guys are allowed to buy sugar gliders as pets in the U.S. It's definitely not legal here in Australia.

Actually a bit of research, Technically they're not allowed to be exported:

Australian Animals Kept As Pets Overseas

17.26 There is a very large amount of evidence, particularly on the Internet, that a broad variety of native Australian animals is kept as pets in overseas countries. Many Australian birds are kept in aviaries in Europe and America, including budgerigars, finches cockatoos, galahs and parrots. Reptiles and frogs are becoming increasingly popular, particularly in America, and even some mammals have found their way overseas. [35]

17.27 For example, despite a complete ban on the export of sugar gliders (Petaurus breviceps) from Australia for many years, this species is now popular as a pet in America. The explanation for this, according to Ruth's Sugar Glider Page, is that the animals in the United States are descendent from gliders imported from other places, mostly Indonesia. [36] At the moment they are considered "exotic" in the US and a federal licence is required to sell them. It is illegal to own them in some states, notably California. However, they may soon be reclassified by the Department of Agriculture as 'pocket pets' which would mean that small scale breeders would no longer need to have a licence. According to 'Ruth', the advantages of sugar gliders as pets are numerous: they are intelligent, playful, inquisitive, cute, they are easy to feed, relatively clean, don't smell bad, don't have fleas, don't need vaccinations and are inexpensive to keep (see also Box: Pocket Pets in America). Sugar gliders and at least one rock wallaby have been found for sale in pet shops in Tokyo. [37]

Commercial Utilisation of Australian Native Wildlife

I thought it sounded a bit strange. We're pretty protective of our natives.

^^hmm, most of the poodles I've encountered are preatty mean. You must be have a cool dog :)

Also, I'd love to cook bulk meals for my pups. Do you have a special recipie?

i hate little dogs. nasty little buggers--makes me want to punt them.

good call on the antlions--they are quite badass little buggers, i remember having them as a little kid and doing just that glitterbizkit.

haha stupid ants!

my friend also agreed to a cat-- i got him to hold a kitten, and just like with crack, (where the first hits free), hes hooked. score.

yes he agreed.

see, we grew up together and he--his family always had a dog--was always jealous of my plethora of cats, even tho they fucked with his asthma.

he decided (and we may end up having to give the cat away) that his allergies are only minorly triggered by my TEN cats, so having ONE couldnt be TOO bad.

my mom also used to be deathly allergic to cats--but after years of having them (for some reason she just dealt with it and kept buying more kittens...) her allergies have virtually dissappeared.

my friend and i are hoping for similar results. if not, theres TONS of loving homes (including my parents).

My dog is evil (attacks) please help!

wow, that sucks. google rescue groups in your area, and look for groups that will house violent dogs. i know of a no kill in new york that will save any dog, but it isn't really a life sitting in a small room for the entirety of it.

you def need to find another home for this dog where it will be properly watched, or else you could be responsible for a death or serious injury to someone. god forbid it isn't a child. you will have criminal charges against you, and it won't be fun.

good luck. sorry i don't have better advice for you.

My friend has a dog like this. An absolute Helion. They put the pet on PROZAC. It is now a different animal, no biting, no aggression...a cute dog.

Hope this helps.........

EDIT: You know what...is that a pic of your dog? I think it might be too late for prozac..too little too late

Last edited:
oooh drugs, great idea :)

i just wouldn't think that the severity of her dog would be affected by something as simple as an ssri, although in addition to behavior modification therapy, sure.

i would still be scared forever though worried when it is going to rear its' ugly head again.

DarthMom said:
oooh drugs, great idea :)

i just wouldn't think that the severity of her dog would be affected by something as simple as an ssri, although in addition to behavior modification therapy, sure.

i would still be scared forever though worried when it is going to rear its' ugly head again.
!

I agree...that is one scary looking dog :X

Dog trainer. Or get a dog psychology manual. If that does not work, buy a muzzle.

I think yuour dog has something wrong with it that is probably causing it pain or at least aggravation............chewing its fur off is NOT normal.........its a sign of a parasite or something.

Does it get exercised regularly?

Sounds to me lkike its bored and lacking attention.