• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

what countries allow easy residency to US citizens?

2oclockbeanfiend.2

Bluelighter
as soon as i take care of this probation issue and this lawsuit i am leaving this shithole country for good. what countries are (fairly) easy to move to? i heard amsterdam was very hard to get into. i have family there, would that help? what about the caribbean islands? basically, i need to go somewhere where english is spoken fairly regularly and my mission in life will not be solely evading the police. the united states has finally pushed me far enough that i no longer wish to live here or declare myself a US citizen. no, i am not joking. i am sick of being treated like less than an animal and i want out. only serious replies only, please. thanks, peace.

There's no easy way to say this, but, if you plan on starting your life over again outside the US and you want tips on how to do it "the easiest way in the easiest place" then I think you are fucked mate.

And Amsterdam is not a country.

^ I misspoke. I should have said The Netherlands.

Is there seriously no hope of me rebuilding my life outside of the United States? I was wrongfully arrested 6 blocks from my home the other day. How much closer does it need to get to where I can no longer leave my house in fear of being arrested? If I can't walk 6 blocks to the pharmacy that sits on the same street that I live on without getting arrested, how can I ever leave my home? What kind of life is that? Is that even life?

Last edited:
You'll find that the US is pretty intolerant of people from other countries with criminal records trying to rebuild their lives there. Most countries take a similar view of people from the US.

If you can teach english there are many places you can work and live abroad. Whether or not you would find those places more pleasurable to live in than the USA, I can't tell you. :\ But if you really want to leave, that is a way to do it, at least for some amount of time. I am not sure about coming somewhere like Thailand or Laos and actually becoming a citizen of those countries, I don't know how it works but since Ive been out here I've met a lot of foreigners living out here, some of them have been here for years. I've met a lot of people who are here, living and teaching english too. So it might be something you could do for awhile til you figure out where you want to go and what you want to do.

New Zealand seems to accept anyone and everyone - if we let our country be over-run by chinese im sure we'll accept some americans. Everyone speaks english(well, atleast broken english) and its an alright place to live. Police here are pretty nice, ive never had a problem with them and never been treated unjustly even when being a cock to them or reaking of weed, generally they are actually pretty good dudes. Ive had a few situations where i could have been in quite a bit of shit and or get some fines but didnt:

The time when me and my mate had a slug gun at my house and were shooting at a target on the fence and we were accidentally hitting our neighbours house(it was actually an accident, we didnt realise). We were blazed as(definitly looked it too) and i had a pipe in my hand when some cops came out of nowhere and caught us shooting at a gas canister(one of those small gas burner ones). All they did was ask for ID to confirm im 18 or older and gave us a lil talk about being safer and putting up some plywood behind the gas canister(lol?).

Then theres the time that me and 2 mates were driving around at night, i was in passenger seat with half an ounce and we had just sessioned up and we were going about 80-90 in 60k zone when cop came out of side street up ahead, pulled us up and leaned head in window. She could obviously smell the weed and see we were stoned... she just checked my mates licence(of which didnt allow him to be driving this late at night, or with people in the car) and she just said be safer and slow down :\ Easily could have been a few hundy fine for my mate(for wrong license) + what ever cannabis charges for me.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Generally if you can offer NZ something we'll accept you.

Last edited:
^
OP might be able to get a working holiday permit in NZ; actually getting residence there is a lot harder. A few years ago, it would have been easy to get an employer to sponsor you to stay in the country. But now with the recession, that's much less likely. The govt has specifically said it's going to give priority for jobs to NZ citizens.

Those "Chinese" that you see everywhere? They're mostly students. Or they got into the country on business visas (e.g. by bringing in investment money). I doubt OP can do either.

OP: your criminal record may well count against you. Maybe not if they are minor offences. The next thing you have to think about is: what can you offer the country you're moving to? What skills do you have? What education or work experience?

why do you say ''chinese'' as if im sterotyping? They are mostly chinese.

I dought most of the asians here are students. I live in auckland, and the majority of asians i see are not 18-24 which is average student age, there are ALOT of asian adults here and i highly dought they all have business'. I would think the most common way the asians get over here is through family ties.. it being alot easier to get residency here if some of your family has already infiltrated this country and all.

'The govt has specifically said it's going to give priority for jobs to NZ citizens.'

Bit late now isnt it? I mean the problem with letting an immigrant come here(especially from china because we have far better off lifestyle) that starts a business is that it has a terrible ripple effect for NZ'rs.

-Mr Li who's family wants to gtfo of china all save up
-They give Li all there money so he can go start business in NZ
-NZ ofcourse accepts him, because hes going to boost our economy and create jobs
-Those jobs however wont go to NZ'rs, they usually go to people from china as it allows him to operate his business better(because they can speak mandarin) and because he'd rather support chinese than NZ'rs.
-Once he has been here long enough, all his family who helped him start his business can now move over here
-Now, who gets those jobs at Li's business? Not us NZ'rs, no, its his family who otherwise wouldnt have been able to come here.

If you dont believe me, then go look at any takeways, dairy, supermarket or anything - they arent all just random asians who arent related that are working there, they are cousins, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts etc.

All we are doing by allowing people to come here if they can start a business is allowing poor people from shit countries to come here and do this exact process, in not creating jobs for us but creating jobs for themselves and there families so they can collect in the the rewards of living in NZ.

Last edited:
Hmm, there are a lot of Chinese in Canada too. I wonder if we're on to something here.

They can also be an employment sponsor which makes it even more likely/guaranteed they will be accepted to the country. 8)

As a US citizen, I imagine it would be fairly difficult for you to actually immigrate to another country (unless, perhaps, you marry there).

You always have the option right above you, Canada. A lot of Americans have lived successful lives here.

Short of that, you're going to have to adapt to foreign cultures that don't speak your language. Get this, and you can live for a very long time fairly easily in many places without actually becoming a citizen there - the key is doing "visa jumps" (a loophole where you keep renewing your visa by exiting the country momentarily, getting a new visa in the next country, then going back in.

The only issue is supporting yourself. Do you have a source of income that will keep supporting you even outside the US? Finding a job in a foreign country is even more difficult than adapting to a different culture.

For example: India is easy to live in long-term - their visas are very long-lasting, and you can live on as little as $4/day, and almost everyone speaks English. Sounds too good to be true? It is. You need a job, and since everyone speaks english, English Teaching is not really easy to find.

It is much easier to work as an English Teacher in Thailand or China, but you'll have to put up with immense language and cultural barriers.

There is always a trade off.

Holland? I hear it's not cheap ;). Again, how do you plan to support yourself there? Americans (and other non-brits) cannot teach English in the EU.

Costa Rica has many US ex-pats and a friendly relationship with the USA in general. Some of my friends bought property there and it was very easily done. One of my possible plans is to live there for $20 a day and play online poker.

I wanna live in The Netherlands or Norway, they are both countries my ancestors came from and both countries are very rich.

You could go to SE Asia and though not necessarily get residency, you can pretty much do boarder runs every few months, and stay there for a long time in a given country. I met Brits who'd been pulling off a life in Thailand for years without residency.

You don't have to go to third world shitholes dude, all you gotta do is go to eastern european countries who love america and hate russia. Pretty much any former soviet block state who hates Russia will give you papers at best and at worst you can just keep re-entering every year to maintain residency.

-Poland
-Belarus
-Ukraine
-Romania
-Albania
-Estonia
-Latvia

Belarus hates russia?!?

That's a first, and clearly explains why there's a strong motion to reunite.

Eastern Europe is a good choice. They love native English speakers and prefer them over teachers who learned English in school and never set foot in an English speaking country. I'm from Poland and thought about going back. I'd definitely have a job cuz of my English. But teaching English is one of the few options you have since you'll need to speak Polish for anything else.

As for living in Poland, you don't need to be a citizen to work and after living there for 5 years you can get citizenship.

I also am not a big fan of the US and would like to immigrate. How much does it cost to get a NEW ZEALAND residency? I heard in Canada it costs like 10 grand. And with a criminal record you'll have a hard time getting papers.

Also for NZ, if you have higher education, lets say like a Physical Therapy degree, will it be easier to get papers since you'll be an asset I guess not a burden.

Hmm, there are a lot of Chinese in Canada too. I wonder if we're on to something here.

We get a lot of chinese in oregon too, mostly students, but not all. I think it's that whole aborting and not wanting girls thing kicking them in the ass. The males have to go to other countries to find wives.

Eastern Europe is a good choice. They love native English speakers and prefer them over teachers who learned English in school and never set foot in an English speaking country. I'm from Poland and thought about going back. I'd definitely have a job cuz of my English. But teaching English is one of the few options you have since you'll need to speak Polish for anything else.

As for living in Poland, you don't need to be a citizen to work and after living there for 5 years you can get citizenship.

I also am not a big fan of the US and would like to immigrate. How much does it cost to get a NEW ZEALAND residency? I heard in Canada it costs like 10 grand. And with a criminal record you'll have a hard time getting papers.

Also for NZ, if you have higher education, lets say like a Physical Therapy degree, will it be easier to get papers since you'll be an asset I guess not a burden.

Healthcare professionals are in relatively high demand here, so yeah it would help you alot. Have a look at the nz govt immigration website, it has all the info you should need ;)

To actually settle down here with your own place and by the time you find a job etc.. id say about 5-10k USD? Depends how much shit you wanna buy for your new place, where you decide to live, and how long it takes you to get a job. USD is double ours in value so i would guess it'd be cheaper than canada but im not sure.