Enough. Reform the lounge already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else sense a pattern here? 8)

I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

It seems you are a high strung individual who enjoys arguing.

The more time you spend away from bluelight, the smaller all these "lounge" problems become.

What pattern? I am smarter than most people and I am talented at many hobbies and games, and I excel at many of them. You brought it up, not me. Should I lie and say I am dumb? That I am not good at anything? What do you want from me? You made a snide remark about how many friends I have or how many hobbies I have, and you don't like my answer. Next time don't make the comment.

I enjoy discussing politics and ideas and world issues, and I enjoy debate. I guess I am more accustomed to a more intelligent group, because I don't run into so many peope devoid of logical understanding. As a result, the discussions "IRL" remain civil and productive.

What pattern? I am smarter than most people and I am talented at many hobbies and games, and I excel at many of them. You brought it up, not me. Should I lie and say I am dumb? That I am not good at anything? What do you want from me? You made a snide remark about how many friends I have or how many hobbies I have, and you don't like my answer. Next time don't make the comment.

I enjoy discussing politics and ideas and world issues, and I enjoy debate. I guess I am more accustomed to a more intelligent group, because I don't run into so many peope devoid of logical understanding. As a result, the discussions "IRL" remain civil and productive.

You forgot to say how modest you are.

Ain't that the truth!

You know for someone who claims to be so smart you would think that you would be able to decipher what he said as it appears you just did (congratulations). Please realize that dialogue doesn't always have to be an argument. If I walked up to my friend and asked "Hey bro, whassup?!" and he said "The sky you idiot" I can guarantee that we wouldn't be friends for very long.

FWIW you're the leading poster in here with 19 posts followed by Enki with 5. Maybe you should start posting in the talk to yourself thread.

Fjones, maybe you should reigster under a new handle: Reductio ad absurdum.

I was able to decipher what he said (as you noted), my gripe was with the way he said it.

So, I had 19 of the first 56 posts. That means others posted 37 times. I can throw everyone else's hackneyed cliche back at them. IF you don't like it, leave. If you don't like me or the way I post, then don't post in the thread I created.

As much as people seem to dislike my methods, they cannot rsist saying something. They aren't bothering to follow their own advice. If they keep getting into arguments with me, they much like it, why else do they do it?

THe fact is, they are no better at following their advice than I am.

You forgot to say how modest you are.

Modesty over such an overrated attribute. I am not goign to pretend I am less capable at something than I am.

When I suck at something, I'll admit it and when I am good at something, I am not going to pretend otherwise.

Where the hell does modesty get you? If I am choosing between two people and one of them says, "Yeah, I am good" and the other says, "I am okay, I guess." I am picking the first one.

Fjones, maybe you should reigster under a new handle: Reductio ad absurdum.

"Reductio Ad Absurdum" does not mean what you think it means.

Look it up. It's actually a valid form of proof or argument where you derive a contradiction from the premises, thss showing that one or more of the premises must be false.

Where the hell does modesty get you?

Well, you claim to want to change the way you interact with others. It would help.

Everyone keeps asking me "How." I am confused. Am I being invited to be an administrator?

I would have to sit down and THINK for awhile to come up with some "how"s. If I were an admin, I would do exactly that, but I am not, nor will I be, as I am not suited to the task and it would be insane to ever put me on staff.

It's easy to talk when it's not your responsiblity. You're making the assumption that no one here is thinking about how.

It's really easy to talk, but never as easy to put that talk into action.

I think The Lounge is a symptom of the sickness of our society. Do you wish it to get better? So do I. But I'll tell you one thing I know. The way to do it isn't by getting all caught up in ego games, with others and especially with yourself. The way to fix it is to address your individual interactions with the people around you. You can only change yourself, but through that change, you can inspire change in others.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps asking me "How." I am confused. Am I being invited to be an administrator?

I would have to sit down and THINK for awhile to come up with some "how"s. If I were an admin, I would do exactly that, but I am not, nor will I be, as I am not suited to the task and it would be insane to ever put me on staff.
now i'm confused . i'm not inviting you to join the staff - i'm doing you the courtesy of listening to your opinion. staff and bluelighters alike shape what happens here.
So, my best chance to influence policy is as a regular bluelighter. The problem is, I don't feel confident that people really care what I have to say, so why should I bother?
i care what you say. isn't the fact that we're even having this discussion indicative of this?

if you don't feel you should bother, why are you participating at all? you obviously care about being heard on some level or, one assumes, you would not have started this thread or posted 25 replies in it.

if you don't feel you should bother, why should we bother listening to you?
Apply the same rules from other forums. If someone is violating a rule, he is violating a rule.
all forums in bluelight are not the same - do you think that the rules which apply in the dark side should apply in drug culture? bluelight has grown organically and the atmosphere in different forums has also grown organically too - being shaped by staff and participants of those forums along the way.

bluelight has been around nearly 10 years. you've been a bluelighter for 3 months - 2.5% of that time. while i value your opinion, can you understand that some people might be a little put out by your crashing in here like a bull in a china shop telling us all how it should be? that approach also does a disservice to the evolution of individual forums and their cultures.
If someone sees a funny thread in the lounge, he should be able to participate without having to worry about being flamed or trolled.
what's funny to you is not funny to others. what's not funny to you is funny to others. why should your definition of what's funny prevail?
Another how -- stronger consequences. This will deter the undesirable behavior.
define "stronger consequences".
People have hassled me in other forums.
if that's the case you should report these posts and let the staff do their jobs. if you're not happy with the action taken (or lack of action taken) escalate the issue as appropriate.
And it just creates bad feelings between members of the same site, which can lead to tension and problems.
certain discussions in ce&p and nw events create bad feelings between members. can those too?
I don't get it.
indeed.
Look, either we care about the site or we don't.
what does that even mean? nobody has a monopoly on caring for bluelight. different people care for bluelight differently and that care manifests itself in different ways.[/QUOTE]
alasdair

(DIND steps out of her silly suit for a minute)

Jones-

Several years ago I moderated a board with about 5k members. It was a thankless job. It isn't as easy as it looks from your side.

We could go on and on ( oh- you already did!) about whats wrong with the lounge, but let me give you something to think about.

On my board, there was no lounge. No lounge= no place for trolls. No place for trolls means trolls are every place.

Are you following me?

Now, instead of seeing them pop up in BDD or ADD or worse, TDS-they have a place to go.

As an adult, I have a choice. I choose not to read threads that are offensive, hence do not feed the trolls.

Was I offended by the racial slurs? Um, yeah since my ex is african american, I was pissed by one remark that was made. But its my choice to realize its just bait and CHOOSE not to take it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if you don't like it, don't read it. Besides, what MORE do you WANT from the mods? Today has been spent explaining and arguing with you over the way they do their jobs, when in fact I am SURE they had better things to do on this site.

I respect your arguement, but I think its time for you to step back and look at the big picture.

I've never developed good trolling technique, too much a waste of my time. But I have to laugh at the amount of effort put forth in this thread to discuss the discussion as opposed to the 'problem'.

Thanks for the laugh, but again, I'd rather put my time towards addressing the subject, not the participants.

So, my best chance to influence policy is as a regular bluelighter. The problem is, I don't feel confident that people really care what I have to say, so why should I bother?

With the structure we have, there are a limited few heads in the admin room. Yes, we have a lot of experience, but by no means are we omniscient nor omnipresent. As such, we generally are very open to ideas or suggestions from anyone. We can't think of everything, and appreciate the ideas generated by anyone willing to put forth the thought. A bluelighter may be limited in the extent to which they can enact a change (what they post, where they post, etc), but by participating in the discussion - and more importantly offering suggestions of 'how' then working with those in the thread on refining any 'how' suggestions....that's a real benefit. Btw, thank you for making the attempt to address some 'how', as I don't see too many other people willing to do this right now - either they are worn down by the times this question has come up, or perhaps they are more interested in arguing the words used to hold the discussion.

Alasdair has linked some previous discussions in SUPPORT on how the LOUNGE ought to be managed differently. Does any of that still seem relevant? Has anyone bothered to read it (aside from those of us who have lived it...repeatedly)? Has the place become worse (according to anyone who's been here more than 6 months, it is worse....it always is, regardless of when you joined and when that 6 month period runs out). So, there is the ever present 'it was better in my day' to which many of us have gotten sick of hearing - it evolves, but does it really get much worse? And if so 'HOW' can that be addressed, reasonably? I mean, one could squeeze it in an iron grip until it bled PLUR. Or one could shut it down completely, and commit a slow suicide by either killing off the sense of community that keeps us glued together or squishing that content into other forums where it is actually cracked down on harder. Then there was the question of creating a secondary forum, one more 'high brow' and less 'riff-raff' oriented, but that's never really been pursued because it doesn't address 'the issue'.

We say the forum is what you (collective members) make it with your content and comments. We say the mods, who have a helluva job to herd cats without stepping in cat shit along the way, are doing the best they can and they only act when something becomes egregious. This is where we are....and how we got to where we are. Relying on members to make content, and mods to clean up the shit. We've just culled a lot of the shit makers out of the place, so it ought to be a little better - a little less postwhorination all over the place and more breathing room for better content and comments. So, in that regard, we have actually done something. But can we do more? And what suggestions and ideas of 'how' can anyone else provide?

Anyone is welcome to continue to hold their view that the place is fine as-is, in equal proportion to those who hold the view that it is a blight that needs serious attention. However, your opinions are just that - opinions. For those that feel it is fine, is there an objection to any efforts to improve it, and would you have any? Even chocolate cake is better with some ice cream, so could the place be better and how? And for those that see it as a cesspool - share your thoughts on HOW it could be remedied or addressed. Don't just bitch and say it sucks, don't just shrug and say you'll live with (or love) the way it currently is for now....because in 6 months it'll have gone downhill in your opinion as well, trust me. Anyone and everyone is welcome to offer suggestions - and enact them to whatever your position will allow you. But at least offer the suggestions to those that can do more but may not be able to think of such ideas. All you lose is some thought for awhile, and what you gain could be a better place for all of us today and tomorrow (even if it's the best damn place on the web already!).

"Reductio Ad Absurdum" does not mean what you think it means.

Look it up. It's actually a valid form of proof or argument where you derive a contradiction from the premises, thss showing that one or more of the premises must be false.
You got trolled. ;)
If you don't like me or the way I post, then don't post in the thread I created.
Word. Peace.
23.gif

To put a different spin on it all.

Fjones you are and have been depressed for a long time as you're well aware.
That means you go over and over stuff untill you drive yourself mad. This debating till the death for 50 pages doesn't do your depression any favours, no matter how smart you think you are.
Depression doesn't help in being able to think clear headed admittedly but ...

If you want to get better you got to learn to stop the overthinking. You're not a 21 year old kid that is on a road of self discovery still whose brain hasn't fully matured yet.
I know you've seen psychiatrists etc...but you might consider cbt which you were enquiring about not that long ago. Still lots of different avenues for you to try.

Unless you're comfortably "numb" in your bubble and want to remain like that? Seen that at work in a 43 year old male before whose ego wouldn't allow him to become better no matter what you say/try.

While I have no issues with this being brought up, as TLB said, several members were culled from the lounge only days ago. I really don't think it's fair for the Lounge (staff, members, etc.) to make any kind of assessment regarding how it is when we've just gotten rid of most, if not all, of the riff-raff. :\

Well, you claim to want to change the way you interact with others. It would help.

It's easy to talk when it's not your responsiblity. You're making the assumption that no one here is thinking about how.

It's really easy to talk, but never as easy to put that talk into action.

I think The Lounge is a symptom of the sickness of our society. Do you wish it to get better? So do I. But I'll tell you one thing I know. The way to do it isn't by getting all caught up in ego games, with others and especially with yourself. The way to fix it is to address your individual interactions with the people around you. You can only change yourself, but through that change, you can inspire change in others.

That's a fair point.

I don't know why I get so caught up in this. I mean, it's kind of like a game right? Everyone knows I can be set off easily, and that when I do, I will probably overreact. So people playfully poke me, and I overreact, and the game goes on, and everyone is happy.

That's the only reason we all continue to play the game, right?

ENOUGH.

FFS.

This thread is a disgrace.

In fact this thread belongs in the lounge as its just a littany of childish carry on.

Sadly there are only a very small number of posts that are actually discussing the topic which is a raised concern about the lounge.

The rest, including many from people I would have thought knew better are simply personal attacks.

Bluelight members should have a right to have a say about what they think without having to cop that crap. And yes the OP should stick to his topic as well.

If the best that anybody can do to put there case that the OP is wrong is by attacking his person then for my money it helps prove the OPs point.

If you were here in my house then I would grab the lot of you and bang your heads together or at least throw slippers at you.

Now grow the fuck up the lot of you.

If a smod has five hours to spare maybe they can remove 99% of the posts in this thread.

For the record I like the idea of a second lounge..........one for the grown ups amongst us. that way the current lounge will have a lesser impact on those who just want somewhere social to hang out for a while.

You got trolled. ;)

Word. Peace.
23.gif

Damnit! I never know when I am being trolled or when peopel are being serious. Someone needs to point me towards the trolling 101 thread or something.

(Joking! :) I now fear that every post I make will be taken as though I am upset or angry. I kid sometimes too.

Hey everyone -- I just glanced over the last few posts and There are some good points that I want to respond to. I don't like when people ignore a good point or statement, so I always try to respond when people make one.

I cannot respond right now because some friends are arriving momentarily. We have plans for the weekend that I hope will help put me in a better mood. So when I have a chance I will respond to the last few posts.

I do hope we can keep this open and stay on topic and I will respond respectfully and politely. Let's see if we can succeed in steering this back in the right direction.
For my part, I apologize for my role in allowing this to get out of hand.

WHY THE FUCK DOES A HARM REDUCTION SITE, and a great one at that, have a cesspool like the lounge?

because the lounge-denizens have made it so. Mod's can hardly create good posters out of nowhere.

Perhaps you should consider 2nd opinion instead?

ebola

Fjones, you know I'm on the same page as you with the lounge. But if I know that this can't be won and when to quit...maybe you should to. Chalk it up to stupidity, stay away from it and if ppl get bad enough hit ignore and remove them from "your world".
I was once told that if someone is driving like a jackass, let them by you and go have their accident somewhere else...
With the lounge, just let it go by, and forget about it the best you can and let them go be an ass and hurt someone else.

Speaking of cesspool crap, there's plenty of posts in SLR that make me cringe. I'll even be the first to admit that I don't go into the nudie thread because it's not my style. But, ya know, this place has been around since 1999(?) and I've been here since 2008.

There's plenty of other places for me to frequent, and if I see a thread in the SLR that I know is gonna gross me out, then I just don't click on it and my experience is no different than as if it isn't even there. When you're new, the Lounge is intimidating. There's obviously a sense of community in there and you need to not take things so seriously when you go there.

If you really dissect the people who get flamed horribly, take a real good look who gets flamed - it's people who are new who decide to tell everyone what assholes they are or who rarely go to the Lounge other than to tell it what shit it is. If you look at who jumps in there and just joins in with stupid banter, it's just fun and games. The people who get flamed are the ones who either A) Say how crappy BL is, B) Say how the Lounge is shit, or C) go on a personal war flaming everyone. There's a couple poster there now who are obviously just trolling and even seem to enjoy the flaming.

I will say this, the subjective nature of what is and what is not allowed in The Lounge on BL is a complete joke. People have said it before, but a LOT of stuff is let through that is clearly against the rules as linked-to on the forum homepage. And with this loss of rigidity in rule-enforcement, it directly leads to a subjective fashion through which rule-violations are handled. And anytime that the people who uphold the rules actually rule without an iron-fist, it opens doors to favoritism, targeting, and other theories, all which combine into a general view of those in power working with their own agendas. So yes, as it stands people actually don't know what's right or wrong in the Lounge, so who can REALLY blame attitudes anywhere from confustion to disdain over situations such as this with CG.

The Administrators of BL, I believe, need to objectifty the rules for The Lounge and be sure that the lounge mods don't give anybody breaks. And IMO clear numerical rules need to be made about how many warnings it takes to be banned, and how many temp bans lead to a perminent ban. Because right now it seems to be predominantly subjective, where the staff weighs the good and the bad of a given user benhind closed doors (staff thread or otherwise), and people will respond to this in the same way as described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.