• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Lomotil (diphenoxylate) recreational?

garuda

Bluelighter
Would lomotil be a practical drug to use if your opiate tolerance is very low?
12mg of morphine gives me a nice buzz and 24mg really has me high, so would lomotil be practical in my case?

At what point does the small amount of atropine give problems?

Anyone used lomotil before?

Would lomotil be a practical drug to use if your opiate tolerance is very low?
12mg of morphine gives me a nice buzz and 24mg really has me high, so would lomotil be practical in my case?

At what point does the small amount of atropine give problems?

Anyone used lomotil before?

Lomotil is the trade name of a popular oral anti-diarrheal drug in the United States, manufactured by Pfizer. Its UK BAN generic name is Co-phenotrope.

Its active ingredients are diphenoxylate and atropine. Diphenoxylate is anti-diarrheal and atropine is anticholinergic. Diphenoxylate is chemically related to the narcotic drug meperidine. A subtherapeutic amount of atropine sulfate is present to discourage deliberate overdosage. Atropine has no anti-diarrheal properties, but will cause tachycardia when overused. The medication diphenoxylate works by slowing down the movement of the intestines.

The inactive ingredients of Lomotil (as a liquid - it comes in pill form as well) are cherry flavor, citric acid, ethyl alcohol 15%, FD&C Yellow No. 6, glycerin, sodium phosphate, sorbitol, and water.

Other trade names for the same therapeutic combination are Lofene, Logen, Lomanate and Lonox, among others. In other countries, Lomotil may have other names.

In the United States, Lomotil (Diphenoxylate HCl and atropine sulfate) is classified as a Schedule V controlled substance by federal law, and is available only for a medical purpose.

The drug combination is generally safe in short-term use and with recommended dosage. Long-term use may present problems of mild drug dependency. The dosage should be reduced after 48 h.

Lomotil may cause several side-effects, such as dry mouth, headache, constipation and blurred vision. Since it may also cause drowsiness or dizziness, Lomotil should not be used by motorists, operators of hazardous machinery, etc. It is not recommended for children under two years of age. In rare cases lomotil may cause paresthesia.

Lomotil may cause serious health problems when overdosed. Signs and symptoms of adverse effects may include any or several of the following: convulsions, respiratory depression (slow or stopped breathing), dilated eye pupils, nystagmus (rapid side-to-side eye movements), erythema (flushed skin), gastrointestinal constipation, nausea, vomiting, paralytic ileus, tachycardia (rapid pulse), drowsiness, coma and hallucinations. Symptoms of toxicity may take up to 12 hours to appear. Treatment of Lomotil overdose must be initiated immediately after diagnosis and may include the following: emesis (induced vomiting), gastric lavage, ingestion of activated charcoal, laxative and a counteracting medication (narcotic antagonist). Prompt and thorough treatment of overdose leads to a favorable outcome. After a narcotic antagonist is given, recovery is usually within 24 to 48 hours. Children are at risk of a very poor outcome and must be kept for observation.

Basically Diphenoxylate is potentially a recreational opiate and can be used as such, however when combined with Atropine as is the case in Lomotil when taken in high doses the following adverse effects occur. Diphenoxylate is chemically similar to Pethidine (AKA Demerol). I'm not sure about the dosages of this drug and your tolerance and metabolism are another thing that needs to be factored in.

Ventricular fibrillation, supraventricular or ventricular tachycardia, giddiness, nausea, blurred vision, loss of balance, dilated pupils, photophobia, and possibly, confusion, hallucinations and excitation. These latter effects are due to the fact that atropine is able to cross the blood-brain barrier. Because of the hallucinogenic properties, some have used the drug recreationaly, though this is very dangerous.

The recreational effects of Atropine are similar to using large amount of any of the other anti-chlolegenic drugs that act as deliriants. It should be warned that using these drug for recreational purposes can possibly induce terrifying realistic nightmare like hallucinations.

I would suggest another drug.

Thanks I know all that, I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with lomotil. I can get it OTC and partly I was curious about trying diphenoxylate.

I realize it would be a joke to someone with a serious tolerance but thats not me.

Definitely not a good idea. I mean, trying diphenoxylate is a damn fine idea, but atropine is serious business...much more than the recommended dose and you're in deep shit.

Edit: My little brother had taken lomotil by prescription and I saw the diphenoxylate and got all excited but he had side effects from the atropine at the recommended dose, if that helps.

There's got to be some diphenoxylate somewhere that isn't joined with atropine. Try that. And report back to us if you can.

Last edited:
Edit: My little brother had taken lomotil by prescription and I saw the diphenoxylate and got all excited but he had side effects from the atropine at the recommended dose, if that helps.

Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for, I figured I could at least take double the recommended dose without running into problems with the atropine but looks like no go.
I think I'll start at the recommended dose and see how it goes.

I have taken enough lomotil before to give me a slight euphoria, but there was also a very dry mouth and slight sensitivity to bright light which wasnt all that bothersome. Its up to you if you want the side effects along with the good. I have a feeling you are going to try it out anyway so just start out slow and see how it goes. dont try and take a big dose all at once.

If you had to get all subjective how would you compare it to other opiates/opioids?

I stupidly in a moment of desperation attempted an extraction of the diphenoxylate from the lomotil. I wouldnt recommend this because it wasn't based on very sound data, so I'm not going to say what I did, but needless to say I didn't get atropine poisoning. I also didn't really feel much from the diphenoxylate, although who knows if the extraction worked. It felt similar to when I popped a few of them.

Diphenoxylate really isn't very recreational at all, at least in lomotil form. Maybe if you had access to the pure stuff, you could play with the dosages and figure out what works, but the atropine really makes it too risky to attempt much with this.

Really its best use as far as I can find is to take a couple during opiate w/d. Really helps with the runs.

As with all of the narcotics that dipshit cpharm companies added Atropine to, the atropine is merely there to make the drug look like a better choice to prescribe -->thereby make the company money. They dont want people out there dying and getting sick off it, they actually WANT people to enjoy taking their medication (ever wonder why they made adderral generics taste likes orange and blueberry?...)

The amount of Atropine in a lomotil is .025mg. 25 micrograms. A standard dose when atropine is used as a prescription anticholinergenic is over 75mg You will not notice ANY sort of atropine effects whatsoever. Its merely to make the drug look "oh boy abuse proof" to doctors and pharmacists. Same as the Homatropine (atropine homologue) thats in Hydromet Hydrocodone syrup. The homatropine is at too small of an amount to even be NOTICEABLE, even if you DO abuse the shit out of the stuff I've done plenty of both hydromet and lomotil, take my word for it. Or just look up the numbers on dosages for homatropine/atropine.

I had a script filled for 50 Lomotil and I was aware of the Atropine. I remember taking a few and
I felt pretty good. I went through all 50 in a few days without any problems. It felt "Uplifting"
I do believe dutchie3k is correct.

Hey guys ... oh yes lomotil. I've been prescribed this for years. I am new here but will post trip reports this weekend. My dose on lomotil - not less than 20 pills for a good vicoden like high lasting much longer. About three to four hours of constent euphoria. I like taking 30 though. Pins and needles feeling closer to oxy. Atrophine is far from damaging at dose but dry throat and eyes WILL happen. Just drink water and all good. Eyes drops maybe. Nodding very hard to. Delightful really. Been experimenting with high doses of loperamide recently too but that for another forum. (tolerance = one 80 mg oxy just about right four x/day)

first hand experience

I was prescribed 30 lomotil (2.5mg diphenoxylate/ 0.025mg atropine) for a stomach virus incurable with just normal loperamide. As soon as U doctor told him that it was like loperamide but stronger I knew there was potential for a good time (knowing that loperamide is a weak opiate). As soon as I got home he jumped on google to do a little research, just to find out that there are very few first hand experiences with a recreational dosage of diphenoxylate.

The biggest problem which everyone seems to be aware of is the atropine; however, it's hardly a problem. According to this study, http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar02jul-15.pdf, a toxic reaction often isn't seen until 75-100mg of atropine is consumed. However, just like every other drug, there HAVE been people die on clinical doses (as low as 0.5mg in a 65 year old man).

So, let's do a little math, shall we?

at 0.025mg per pill; if I were to take 15 pills this would only result in 0.375mg of atropine being ingested.

I decided to take a total of 14 which would total to be 35mg diphenoxylate and 0.35mg of atropine; what a great choice! I did this by taking 6 pills at t=0 and then taking the rest at t=1.5 hrs; this was a strategic move to let atropine be absorbed by the body (atropine has a very very short halflife, wheras diphenoxylate is long acting). At t=2hrs I described the high to be very comparable to 30mg of oxycodone. The warm, tingling feeling but lasting much longer... nearly 6 hours! I thinks Diphenoxylate definitely lives up to its name as an opioid agonist, I even got all itchy when coming down. All of this and not one negative side effect from the atropine; I am finishing the rest of the prescription tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWIM was prescribed 30 lomotil (2.5mg diphenoxylate/ 0.025mg atropine) for a stomach virus incurable with just normal loperamide. As soon as SWIMS doctor told him that it was like loperamide but stronger SWIM knew there was potential for a good time (knowing that loperamide is a weak opiate). As soon as SWIM got home he jumped on google to do a little research, just to find out that there are very few first hand experiences with a recreational dosage of diphenoxylate.

The biggest problem which everyone seems to be aware of is the atropine; however, it's hardly a problem. According to this study, http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar02jul-15.pdf, a toxic reaction often isn't seen until 75-100mg of atropine is consumed. However, just like every other drug, there HAVE been people die on clinical doses (as low as 0.5mg in a 65 year old man).

So, let's do a little math, shall we?

at 0.025mg per pill; if SWIM were to take 15 pills this would only result in 0.375mg of atropine being ingested.

SWIM decided to take a total of 14 which would total to be 35mg diphenoxylate and 0.35mg of atropine; what a great choice! SWIM did this by taking 6 pills at t=0 and then taking the rest at t=1.5 hrs; this was a strategic move to let atropine be absorbed by the body (atropine has a very very short halflife, wheras diphenoxylate is long acting). At t=2hrs SWIM described the high to be very comparable to 30mg of oxycodone. The warm, tingling feeling but lasting much longer... nearly 6 hours! SWIM thinks Diphenoxylate definitely lives up to its name as an opioid agonist, SWIM even got all itchy when coming down. All of this and not one negative side effect from the atropine; SWIM is finishing the rest of the prescription tomorrow.

I decided to listen to Killerblackman and try this out. I was a little apprehensive about this due to the possible side effects of the atropine, but figured dosing the way killer had described, would be a safe bet due to the short half-life of the atropine. At 7:15am I dosed with six 2.5/0.025 diphenoxylate/atropine. By 8:15am was feeling much better. The negative mind static and mild anxiety/panic were gone. Achy back and chills still remained, but nothing a hot cup of coffee, a hoodie and some ibuprofen couldn't help. I just took five more 2.5/0.025 pills (8:45am = 1.5 hours after first dose) to maintain as killer explained. Did not want to take all 14 because I don't know how much killer weighs or how tall he is/what his tolerance is.

As a maintenance drug, when without for a few days, I think this will suit just fine. Feels much like I dosed with 1/2 a suboxone strip (not sure of the strength that is sorry)... I have large frame, in the mid 200lb range and a habit of 100-120mg a day of 10/325 hydrocodone. The diphenoxylate/atropine has kept tummy from cramping and giving the runs and I'm very happy that concentration is attainable without that awful, nagging static. I am not very hungry, and even if I were, would not eat because I'm not sure how food would affect this. Food often reduces the effect of the hydro, so I do not want to risk this. However, I want another cup of coffee and a cigarette.. much like 10-15mg of hydrocodone. Will wait and see how the last dosing works. Curious to see if Killer is right and it lasts 6 hours. I am looking forward to that possible result and will report any further findings.

9:15am.. A bit irritable/impatient and thinks 1-2mg of ativan or xanax would solve this problem (or weed if you're a smoker.. I get really anxious with weed) Other than that, doing pretty good considering I had 100mg of oxy yesterday. Feeling like a nap might be in order later on, but I'm going to try and stay busy as to not think about it too much. Coffee tastes good but last cigarette made me a little edgy.

9:35am.. Not as irritable when sitting quietly reading threads and drinking coffee. Ibuprofen is working well for the aches and coffee has warmed me up. No runny or crusty eyes/nose which is another bothersome w/d effect that I hate, so I'm very happy with this. Also, the CONSTANT yawning that often comes with w/d for me is not there and that makes me happy too. All in all, good experiment by killer and great maintenance for a few days in a quick fix. Cannot complain! Much better than going without anything!

3:00pm.. finally started to wear off a bit. Killer was right, lasted a solid 6 hours. Thankfully, got my script filled a bit early and am at 100% again. The diphenoxylate/atropine DID take a bit of my pain away. I do not just take hydrocodone or anything else for the "fun" of it, but for serious, chronic nerve pain/damage. When taking the diphenoxylate with ibuprofen, it staves off w/d and makes the pain bearable. Hope my experiment is helpful to someone later on down the road. Thanks Killer for posting. I would however, suggest that if you are smaller (under 140lbs or with a low tolerance) to maybe take 2 pills out of the equation to not run the risk of feeling the nasty effects of the atropine.

Last edited:
alright, this is fucking ridiculous.

HERE AT BLUELIGHT, WE DO NOT USE SWIM, or "MY PET MONKEY, CAT, etc..." READ THE BLUA and OTHER DRUGS FORUM GUIDELINES. Once I have warned you, I will start getting serious about it and treat it like we treat any other transgression of the rules.

I had to remove a whole bunch of off topic posts. We don't use SWIM here. End of discussion.

Last edited:
just took 40 of the diphenoxylate/atropine prep. stole it out of a vets office I clean at. 40 keeps the atropine at under 1 mg and the diphenoxylate at about 100mg. will let you know how it goes

Also, I have 100 10mg butophenol pills, turbogesic
I think is the brand name. Anyone know anything about these? I snorted one and it felt like an equal dose of oral ketamine. Like, exactly. Why is it that some opiates dont feel like opiates?

Well here I am 50 pills and nearly 3 hours later, all I feel is a slight stomach ache. My tolerance is fairly low, all I've had the past week is a subutex exactly a week ago. So, my verdict? Loperamide should be rescheduled to V and diphenoxylate should replace it as the OTC antidiarrheal.

Man, chill and give it time for people to respond. Getting way off topic with the vet stuff, most mods tell you to put that stuff in your blog. I'm curious to why people think they need to use SWIM here, it doesn't make sense that has never been used here except for the others that are also confused and do so. Take a look at some of the other posts first and see how this place rolls. It takes time, but you gotta be patient eat some pills and/or rail some K or DOC while you wait, keep yourself entertained bud haha.

The amount of Atropine in a lomotil is .025mg. 25 micrograms. A standard dose when atropine is used as a prescription anticholinergenic is over 75mg You will not notice ANY sort of atropine effects whatsoever.

I really hope no one took this at face value without verifying the facts.

http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00572

Sal-Tropine is 0.4 mg per tablet.

75mg/kg of Atropine is the LD50 for mice (500mg/kg for rats)

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922981

Anyone have any information on recreational usage dose levels for atropine? Consuming plants just sounds stupid for those seriously considering exploring the toxicity when we have pre-measured tablets at microgram range increments.

Does the Diphenoxylate have any effects that should be of note for those wishing to experiment with this for the atropine element, rather than the opiate effects?