• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Is anyone a nurse or attending nursing school?

China Rider

Bluelighter
In May I will be earning a bachelor degree in a useless major and I am strongly considering going back to school next Fall to get my associate degree in nursing.
I really don't know a lot about this field and can't get too specific with my questions... so fellow nurses/nursing students...please tell me all that you know(courses in school, job duties, etc).
I'm pretty sure any registered nurse can find a job...but how much does it help me being a male?

Thanks.

i grad. with my ADN (associate's degree in nursing) in december.

i dicked around for years getting my ba in philosophy. finally, i had a eureka! moment, and knew i should be a nurse.

imo, it's not a career move to be entered lightly. srsly. i would take anything over this. i'm a decent student and this shit kills- add shitty (yes...literally) clinicals on top and welcome to having NO LIFE!

i attend a great community college. i needed your basic pre-req's (including A&P I and II, microbiology, algebra, uhmm...yeah).

finding a job: well, we all thought that was easy, and in some places it may be. i'm in central florida. apparently, certain hospitals actually had hiring freezes going on b/c they can't pay their nurses. but, i believe if you look hard enough and are willing to travel, you can find a job anywhere.

i would check out your local college/university's site and check out their req's. also, here is an INCREDIBLY huge, helpful site allnurses.com.

they have a student nurse discussion forum (quick tangent- they had a VERY long, VERY heated discussion about nursing students using drugs! oh my!).

nursing school is the hardest and most rewarding thing i have done so far. and i fucking hate it. i want to quit most days, b/c that would be easy. luckily, i'm in my ob (obstetrics) semester, so i've just been cruising.

lemme know if you have any more questions.

p.s. the only thing i know about guys in that program is that they tend to think only the girls have to do "the dirty work" and they rarely get to see vaginal deliveries. all the instructors seem to love them. =)