• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Theory on 'new' cannabis hyperemesis syndrome

Ancedotal:

Regular 1.2g/day for 1.5 years.

I have not had vomitting but occasionally (ive always attributed to nicotine poisoning) I get incredible nausea and i am unable to move, its not so much pain as paralysis. Now im not implying that im sick with this thing.

Hope some of the posts will get to the research for a greater pool of ancedotal cases for them to look into.

regards

Yep, at my heaveist levels of intake (1.5 to 2 oz a week), I was nauesous conastantly. As soon as I stopped smoking- well, in maybe a day or so, I was fine and have been fine evr since...(still smoke but only about 3 grams a week, if that....and no nausea when smking).

I've got a hypothesis that it isn't coming from the weed itself but rather the gag reflex and phlegm production from all the TAR in there. A friend of mine has been a heavy smoker for 8+ years now and is starting to notice some of the bad effects such as hacking, black loogies, and occasional vomiting. Seems more likely that it isn't some kind of adulterant but rather peoples throats becoming more sensitive and activating that gag reflex that wouldn't normally be hit.

Maybe munching out too much the night before?

Sometimes if you smoke in your dream right before you wake up it will curb the inital wake-up nausea.

I have had cannabinoid hyperemesis and can't be around any pot. Here's a long personal experience for those of your curious enough to read so much :p

I smoked it a few times as a teen without ANY issues. I got a script for it in 2006 (I would have been 21) for chronic back pain. For the first 6 months, no problems. At the start I smoked it a few times a week when I was in a lot of pain (I had a spinal fusions/back surgery--was not on any medications or supplements at the time). Maybe around the 2nd or 3rd month on it I was smoking it 1-2x a day (I went through 1g in around a week and a half). For the first 6 months of use I had absolutely no issues with vomiting or nausea.

Right around the 6 month mark, I went away for a weekend. It was the first time for at least a month or so that I did not have any pot for over 24 hours. I started to feel nauseous and I threw up a few hours after. It was the most intense nausea I've ever had. I went to the hospital around 6 hours after I started to vomit. I was throwing up buckets of BILE (the green stuff your liver or whatever it is produces) for a full week, in the hospital because I could not hold anything down. I threw up once every 5minutes to 2 hours or so despite the meds.

I had tons of tests done. All the GI stuff, tons of daily blood work, xrays/scans/MRIs of my body and brain... WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE. They were pumping me full of all the anti nauseas, high and combined doses with zero relief. Showers were the only thing that worked. The nurses thought I was crazy because I kept demanding they let me shower that it made me feel 95% better for 20-30 minutes--they only let me 2-3x a day if that. I should add--the most effective was hot water on my head (laying in the hot bath with my legs out was the best--I didnt over heat but my head stayed hot!). I even tried putting a heat pad "contraption" I made, on my head but it was not hot enough I guess. Plus, the nurses took it away when they realized what I was doing :p

After around a week in the hospital, I was back to normal (disgustingly thin and weak, though) and was allowed to go home. It was like someone flipped the switch to off. There was no diagnosis made, but my physician had "the" Australian article on this "pot sickness" (as I call it) and she was sure that's what caused my troubles.

I did not want to resort to pain meds for my back (had tried the alternatives...) and so I did research, asked other doctors and, pot gurus (including the docs who prescribe it) and none of them could "agree" the pot had causes my trouble... I had only been using it for 6 months! I began smoking it again, once a week for 2 months to make sure I was fine. Again, no problems. I finally got back up to once a day--I was sure the sickness was a fluke. I started to feel very sick again by the 4th month but the pot made the nausea go away--I smoked it before eating. I was smoking 3-4x a day for a few weeks and decided I wanted to just stop completely because I was then convinced it was indeed the pot. I went through the same vomiting thing for a full week--I spent 4 of those days in the hospital.

I have stayed away from smoking it, but I ended up in the hospital (2x for IVs) 2 months later when I went to a friend's house who smoked it while I was in the room (I did not get a buzz or inhale smoke). And, to this day if I go into a house or area that has recently had pot smoked I end up having bad waves of nausea for 4-7 days (not to the point that I cannot eat, etc) starting pretty much the following day.

Sorry that is so long, but I felt a personal story of this horrible "syndrome" might be beneficial... My observations/understanding is basically, I get sick when the pot is coming out of my system. It did not have anything to do with the pot being good/bad, contaminated, etc... I also tried using a vaporizer in case it was not the THC but something the smoke was causing. Pot is not supposed to give withdrawals but I suspect this is a withdrawal type thing. The first post made a lot of sense to me...

One more thing I would like to add. I am a female, I have never been a drinker and never used drugs, etc... Back pain is from a bilateral fracture that I had surgical fused--no health issues outside of that. I partly think I was so "sensitive" to this thing is because I am very light (105lbs before onset of puking--I ride racehorses, I'm just small) so maybe the THC bonded more to my brain receptors than stored up in any fat... 1 week is around the time it takes for it to clear out of my system on drug tests too. Oh, and I was not eating a ton from munchies--my normal diet.

I still promote the use of this very fine and useful drug. I keep searching for an "answer" in hopes of finding some cure for this syndrome. I still suffer from pain, so it would be so nice to be able to use it again.

If anyone has questions about it, I'm happy to share! I really want people to know about this, maybe there are others and, maybe there is a way to prevent this. Again, sorry it was long :p

I have had cannabinoid hyperemesis and can't be around any pot. Here's a long personal experience for those of your curious enough to read so much :p

I smoked it a few times as a teen without ANY issues. I got a script for it in 2006 (I would have been 21) for chronic back pain. For the first 6 months, no problems. At the start I smoked it a few times a week when I was in a lot of pain (I had a spinal fusions/back surgery--was not on any medications or supplements at the time). Maybe around the 2nd or 3rd month on it I was smoking it 1-2x a day (I went through 1g in around a week and a half). For the first 6 months of use I had absolutely no issues with vomiting or nausea.

Right around the 6 month mark, I went away for a weekend. It was the first time for at least a month or so that I did not have any pot for over 24 hours. I started to feel nauseous and I threw up a few hours after. It was the most intense nausea I've ever had. I went to the hospital around 6 hours after I started to vomit. I was throwing up buckets of BILE (the green stuff your liver or whatever it is produces) for a full week, in the hospital because I could not hold anything down. I threw up once every 5minutes to 2 hours or so despite the meds.

I had tons of tests done. All the GI stuff, tons of daily blood work, xrays/scans/MRIs of my body and brain... WORST WEEK OF MY LIFE. They were pumping me full of all the anti nauseas, high and combined doses with zero relief. Showers were the only thing that worked. The nurses thought I was crazy because I kept demanding they let me shower that it made me feel 95% better for 20-30 minutes--they only let me 2-3x a day if that. I should add--the most effective was hot water on my head (laying in the hot bath with my legs out was the best--I didnt over heat but my head stayed hot!). I even tried putting a heat pad "contraption" I made, on my head but it was not hot enough I guess. Plus, the nurses took it away when they realized what I was doing :p

After around a week in the hospital, I was back to normal (disgustingly thin and weak, though) and was allowed to go home. It was like someone flipped the switch to off. There was no diagnosis made, but my physician had "the" Australian article on this "pot sickness" (as I call it) and she was sure that's what caused my troubles.

I did not want to resort to pain meds for my back (had tried the alternatives...) and so I did research, asked other doctors and, pot gurus (including the docs who prescribe it) and none of them could "agree" the pot had causes my trouble... I had only been using it for 6 months! I began smoking it again, once a week for 2 months to make sure I was fine. Again, no problems. I finally got back up to once a day--I was sure the sickness was a fluke. I started to feel very sick again by the 4th month but the pot made the nausea go away--I smoked it before eating. I was smoking 3-4x a day for a few weeks and decided I wanted to just stop completely because I was then convinced it was indeed the pot. I went through the same vomiting thing for a full week--I spent 4 of those days in the hospital.

I have stayed away from smoking it, but I ended up in the hospital (2x for IVs) 2 months later when I went to a friend's house who smoked it while I was in the room (I did not get a buzz or inhale smoke). And, to this day if I go into a house or area that has recently had pot smoked I end up having bad waves of nausea for 4-7 days (not to the point that I cannot eat, etc) starting pretty much the following day.

Sorry that is so long, but I felt a personal story of this horrible "syndrome" might be beneficial... My observations/understanding is basically, I get sick when the pot is coming out of my system. It did not have anything to do with the pot being good/bad, contaminated, etc... I also tried using a vaporizer in case it was not the THC but something the smoke was causing. Pot is not supposed to give withdrawals but I suspect this is a withdrawal type thing. The first post made a lot of sense to me...

One more thing I would like to add. I am a female, I have never been a drinker and never used drugs, etc... Back pain is from a bilateral fracture that I had surgical fused--no health issues outside of that. I partly think I was so "sensitive" to this thing is because I am very light (105lbs before onset of puking--I ride racehorses, I'm just small) so maybe the THC bonded more to my brain receptors than stored up in any fat... 1 week is around the time it takes for it to clear out of my system on drug tests too. Oh, and I was not eating a ton from munchies--my normal diet.

I still promote the use of this very fine and useful drug. I keep searching for an "answer" in hopes of finding some cure for this syndrome. I still suffer from pain, so it would be so nice to be able to use it again.

If anyone has questions about it, I'm happy to share! I really want people to know about this, maybe there are others and, maybe there is a way to prevent this. Again, sorry it was long :p

THis is absolutely real and I have dealt with it for years. I, like you, want people to know about it. It is not the weed, it is the abuse of weed which is cumulative, it builds up in your body and then all shit hits the fan until you get in a hot hot bath. This shit hurts and is very real.

I have been experiencing a similar problems with cannabis....

I took a 10 year break from pot after developing Autonomic Dysfunction and a chemical sensitivity to all substances that act on the Autonomic System, upon returning to trialling cannabis again last week I found it had severe effects on my gastrointestinal system, every time I tried it I was constantly belching regurgitating mouthful's of food and stomach acid for several hours after, along with intestinal spasms, increased gut motility and severe stomach pains. I was also experiencing nausea and what felt like motion sickness which I also tried ondensatron with minimal relief. I already have problems with rapid gut motility and it seemed cannabis stimulated some of those areas that I already had problems with, perhaps for the same reason people get the munchies and the stomach increases the rate at which the intestines move in preparation for digestion and the rate at which the stomach empties into the intestines.

Upon researching I found the exact same article as the op and also found that cannabis can actually worsen symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease by decreasing resting pressures of the lower esophageal sphincter.

Any info on synthetic cannabinoids causing this? I've seen a couple people smoke too much JWH-xxx and puke pretty hardcore, but never been able to reproduce this phenomenon in myself

Im not saying this didnt happen, but have u ever heard of someone who cant drink vodka cause it makes them puke? vodka hyperemesis syndrome? it would be a pretty traumatic experince going through this, the smell would bring back pretty bad memories IMO.

Then i would say have u ever taken optiates for a few months and then suddenly quite?

One of the side issues here is that people dont beleive cannabis can cause withdrawals.

definately real

While i have never experienced this specific effect(IE with the bathing, intense vomiting) I have always noticed a general withdrawal syndrome when quitting heavily smoking, usually consisting of INTENSE dreams, trouble sleeping and a general sense of nausea. keep in mind, this is smoking 8 - 10g's daily... ive never personally noticed ill effects from lesser habits. I will say a friend of mine, with an incredible tolerance due to extensive use of JWH compounds and large, daily edible doses in addition to smoking is appearing to suffer from some of these symptoms, including the intense random vomiting. i gotta let him know about this...

Finding this forum has really been a great source of information. My husband has been suffering from exstreme abdominal pain and uncontrolable vomiting for ten years. He has had every test they have, been to numerous doctors and hospitals, with no answers. He has had times where he did't have an episode for long periods of time, but neither one of us is sure if it was during a time he didn't use. This last time he had been for weeks and finally after twenty four hours of vomiting, had to go to the ER. The one thing that sticks out here is the hot showers. When this is going on he takes them constantly or takes a steaming hot bath. He states this is the only time he gets relief. This is something I will definately bring to his doctors attention. After all this time we may finally have an answer.

What about about the "anti-weed" drug RIMONABANT which has the reverse effects of cannabis and users say that when they take it they get reverse munchies and feel sick at the sight of food?
If you google new frontiers of sobriety there is quite a humourous report on being literally stone cold sober:p

Now see im scepticle about this. Im 17 i live in Queensland, Australia. I smoke weed reguarly especially chronic i hardly get bush, and after about 2 years of daily-weekly use, i started feeling sick every morning i woke up after smoking before bed. I dont actually vomit up food/acid etc i've only every vomitted flem. Straight after i attempt to vommit the flem, i feel better almost instantly. Also if i wake up at a friends house instead of vomitting i've found eating a small breakfast/snack will make me feel alot better along with smoking more cones. Ill'd like to know if i may have this "condition" in the early stages or if the syndrome even exists and isnt blamed on other illnesses.

If anyone has had anything similar to me please let me know as i dont feel that bad, but no one likes waking up and spewing flem. I thought it may have been caused by the tobacco mixed with my weed as tobacco makes me feel less hungry therfor i dont eat for 12 hours or so between sleeping and the hours before/after waking up or going to sleep. I dont know if this is also helpfull but i smoke out of different bongs aswell some are Glass some are homemade, but my friends who i share the bongs with dont currently have what i do.

Ps: I smoke different types of Chronic weekly, with tobacco as spin. I was sure the tobacco was the cause as i dont smoke cigarette's just use them as spin. I've also lost about 10-20 kilo's since smoking weed daily and hardly any of it was from dieting or daily exercise, and no im not anorexic i enjoy food and am still abive the healthy weight average for my age. Any info would be great

This actually scares me. Ive had this happen before. It was horrible. I dont know what happened. I told a friendI think weed is physically addicting for me and that I thought I was having weed withdrawals. It didnt make sense at all. I did have extreme nausea for a week then I stopped smoking so heavy. The weird thing is all I smoked during this time was hash and a few jaydub and am products. There was one point where I couldnt really walk but had to. Im on MMT so I thought it was that. It felt so nasty though. I literally would gag it was so disgusting. I wouldnt even leave my house If I didnt smoke and if I did it felt like my stomach was turning. Now I still smoke but not even close to how much I was smoking. This is weird shit. I dunno what happened but I still feel it almost everyday. I didnt vomit but I did hack shit up for awhile. It Felt like a major issue. I truly dont understand it. This is the most bizarre posting regarding weed I have Ever read. It makes me want to stop.

Maybe it is a marijuana rebound effect?

The only thing I have ever experienced like that from weed is my stomach being fucked up with pain/nausea the morning after an extreme munch session.

i am a chronic abuser of marijuana and i can tell you this has never happened to me. marijuana has never caused me problems besides a little anxiety here and there and the seldom run-in's with the law, but even then it's nothing at all...

I have noticed effects like those described above, but only when I've had a MASSIVE amount of thc in my system. I smoke chronic out of my bong every day, so my tolerance is already pretty high. Sometimes I smoke highly concentrated hash oil (BHO) to the point where smoking anything else doesn't even have an effect. During these periods of extremely elevated thc I get nauseous really easily as well as light headed. It feels really shitty. The only way to make it go away is to just stop smoking anything for a while. So I definitely think there is something to this "hyperemesis."

Finding this forum has really been a great source of information. My husband has been suffering from exstreme abdominal pain and uncontrolable vomiting for ten years. He has had every test they have, been to numerous doctors and hospitals, with no answers. He has had times where he did't have an episode for long periods of time, but neither one of us is sure if it was during a time he didn't use. This last time he had been for weeks and finally after twenty four hours of vomiting, had to go to the ER. The one thing that sticks out here is the hot showers. When this is going on he takes them constantly or takes a steaming hot bath. He states this is the only time he gets relief. This is something I will definately bring to his doctors attention. After all this time we may finally have an answer.

There is a syndrome that exists without need for cannabis use, called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, which possibly could be looked into in your situation...