• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Theory on 'new' cannabis hyperemesis syndrome

I think some type of psychological aversion could develop after one incidence of this, especially given the suggestive state that cannabis induces. However, this wouldn't explain the original occurrence. I'm still thinking some adulterant resultant from the cultivation process may be to blame.

Recently an aquaintance was diagnosed with this...dude was taking like 10 showers a day...and smoking alot

it has been known for a long time that cannabis can mess with the GI tract. Not just stomach stuff, its widely known it can act as an anti-emetic. But it can also cause constipation and other intestinal disturbances.

It can also be emetic...how many times have you seen someone get too high and puke.

also see this paper i was introduced to when my friend was diagnosed.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/84/1/76.full

I have a friend who is pregnant and she has been hospitalized throughout her pregnancy for hyperemesis. Believe it or not the doctor(who's a friend or my family as mom's a doctor too) told her cannabis could help solve it by relieving the nausea and vomiting as well as helping with appetite.
Seems this study got shit backwards -_-

A doctor recommending cannabis during pregnancy? You must be kidding...

Well shit. Looks like I may have Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

Just about everyday out of the month, I wake up to the worst stomach aches and feel very nauseous. The only symptom I don't quite have is the vomiting. Some mornings I do wake up feeling I need to vomit, and have been very close to it before, but held it down. I have been assuming it had to do with my frequent use of Cannabis, but I wasn't for sure.

this is very weird

I don't think this is common enough to warrant it a new syndrome

the only times I have vomited from marijuana(heavy user) is when the gag reflex is evoked by chronic coughing

nah, sometimes I feel slightly nauseous in the morning. My personal theory is that it is just the yin of the munchies... or maybe some effect from pesticides/herbicides.

I've projectile vomited from weed before. At normal doses it's an anti-emetic, but at higher doses (especially sativa's), and when taken orally and/or with other psychoactive substances it has been known to produce nausea. The only possible cause is from the dopamine release from the mu-agonism. Cannabinoids tend to actually inhibit serotonin, so that's obviously not the case. Even if it did effect 5-HT2A or 5-HT1A receptors like most other psychadelic would, that isn't the receptor that stimulates emesis, it's only 5-HT3. Their may also be a very slight increase in histamine levels due to the mu-agonism which might possibly contribute slightly.

It can also be emetic...how many times have you seen someone get too high and puke.

I've never seen that happen... but I guess it must happen more than I think.

I see people puke from doing everything else.. from drinking to psychedelics but I've never been around someone who got nauseous from pot.

I feel so bad for the people who have this and I hope they find some kind of solution or cause soon. It's just such an OPPOSITE thing for me since mj makes my stomach feel amazing. There have been so many times over the years when I felt a little wonky or weird in some way (including minor stomach discomfort) and mj has knocked that right out.

For me it's like a wonder substance that helps almost everything and makes it better.

Just for reference, my heaviest use was over the course of about 10 years, in which I would wake-n-bake, smoke all day long then get blasted to go to sleep.

^I've never vomitted, but there have been times when coughing insane amounts has made me gag and feel like vomitting. It's a conspiracy guys, the government is poisoning the Merijuana supply! I kid, but I wonder if the sources of these hyperemesis infected marijuana users has been studied.

^I've never vomitted, but there have been times when coughing insane amounts has made me gag and feel like vomitting. It's a conspiracy guys, the government is poisoning the Merijuana supply! I kid, but I wonder if the sources of these hyperemesis infected marijuana users has been studied.

now that i think about it, i DID have some wicked coughing fits for a long time

i don't smoke right now so that's not a problem, and when i DO smoke i can put up with it, but it can be annoying.

never made me gag (that would suck) but it did get to the point where coughing as much as i was, irritated my throat like crazy and ended up giving me a permanent sore throat while i was smoking.

at one point it got bad enough that i was coughing into a big, thick beach towel b/c i didn't want my neighbors to hear me. haha. it sounded way worse than it was.

anyway, i hope they aren't poisoning shit. it seems too low on the priority list. maybe it's just another attempt at fear mongering like the swine flu 'pandemic'.

^When I inhale I constrict my stomach and only inhale in my chest and lungs. I find I cough worse and tend to gag a bit when I do inhale to my stomach. It is also possible to swallow smoke, and this never feels good. I used to do this unconsciously, I think my bodies effort to moisten the throat or something...

I think the total sum of these users' habits who are being affected need to be reviewed before things such as this are directed solely at use of the plant.

^^are you guys just noobs or what are you smoking out of? Try using a waterpipe or vaporizer, or oral ingestion. rolled marijuana, especially blunts without any filter can get really harsh/painful on your lungs and throat after a while, and the cottonmouth is much worst. Also try not to mix tobacco with your weed, unless you have a high tolerance. That's made me puke one time.

^^are you guys just noobs or what are you smoking out of? Try using a waterpipe or vaporizer, or oral ingestion. rolled marijuana, especially blunts without any filter can get really harsh/painful on your lungs and throat after a while, and the cottonmouth is much worst. Also try not to mix tobacco with your weed, unless you have a high tolerance. That's made me puke one time.

I used a nice water bong most of the time.

I think my problems came from smoking all day every day for years.. and it wasn't even that big of a problem.... just hacking up phlegm and having a coughing fit every now and then.

This "hyperemesis syndrome" doesn't seem very difficult to explain.

The human body is a machine of homeostasis, adapting to everything that comes in and out of it. Normally weed is a great anti-emetic and promoter of hunger, no problem. But when someone starts smoking a ton of weed, getting high all day every day, and only eating food after smoking, the body will start to adapt to this. Soon enough the user won't get hungry at all unless they've smoked weed. If this progresses far enough, I could easily see nausea and vomiting resulting in the heaviest users. So there's a simple answer: moderate weed usage.

I've had periods of time where I am not hungry and the idea of food sickens me, and I realized it was during periods of heaviest weed intake. I moderated my usage, and now I'm fine despite still smoking every day. Me and my friends call these "anti-munchies."

^ Your saying it would be a result of withdrawal from weed. I've gotten nausea and complete loss of appetite while in wd's from weed and tramadol. Recently i've had withdrawals from tramadol only, and my appetite was greatly increased, so it was obviously the weed.

But what the OP is trying to explain is the nausea while under the influence of weed.

^well, it would still work with the op's theory. and the article never mentions that the nausea is while under the influence. for some reason at the end of an otherwise logical idea, he attributed the excess of dopamine and serotonin being released to a reduced effect of marijuana, instead of the obvious and more severe alternative, an absence from marijuana resulting in suddenly depleted thc levels. even though thc and other cannaboids are stored in your fat, if you are a regular user, you usually have way higher levels of thc in your bloodstream than your lipids slowly release. that means if chronic marijuana abuser slept a full night and didn't get high right when he/she woke up, their body could be over compensating for their habit because its used to higher thc levels, and they could feel sick because of the op's idea.

for me, a shower reduces just about any drug induced nausea--from either too much or not enough.

I am super excited (not at the victim's pain of course!), BUT!!!

I am like ninety percent sure that I have come across an individual who experiences on an ongoing basis the effects of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome.

They say it can happen once or not at all one month, and several times another month. It can happen for several hours at a time, or for days. Its onset has occasionally been associated with anxiety, but most often is not associated with anything.

And, she experiences relief from hot showers and admits to being in and out of the shower for hours during an attack.

She has never heard of this syndrome before. Her doctors have been probing her for over a year searching for a diagnosis. She has had over 15 individual images run on her (CAT, MRI, etc for applicable imaging techniques). She is about 30, and has been smoking cannabis since age 12.

I am preparing to provide her with an information packet concerning this syndrome to send off with her to her doctor.

Anyone have any suggestions or things to tell her or to let her doctor know about?

PS: Just thought of it. She says that, apparently, a current marijuana intoxication, let alone a strong intoxication, is not necessary to induce an attack.

This is absolutely true. I hate to tell true stoners this but it is true. I grew for about three years and had a plentiful supply.

I had all of these symptoms including the hot baths. It is wickedly painful. Once I stopped smoking it went away and I have been able to smoke once a month but if i do a couple times a week, I can hear and feel my stomach gurgling and that is the first sign that pain, and vomit are next.

This is very common and undiagnosed in E.R's as a drug seeking patient. This is a true syndrome because it doesnt happen to everyone.

I have this and it is painful, only way to deal with it is to stop smoking for months and then pick back up, occasionally. The key to this syndrome is abuse. 6 times a day

Haven't vomited in about the past year and a half or so, and during that time I've been smoking anywhere between half a gram and 3 grams a day, of varying quality and strains. (Was smoking an 8th a day between me and my girlfriend at one point...of mid-grade, not the dankness. Then after that had a dank habit of about 1/8th every 3-4 days, sometimes less, often more.) During my periods of heaviest use, I did wake up most mornings feeling quite nauseous, and the nausea went away after a smoke. I just assumed this was my body bouncing back from weed's anti-emetic effect, and I still do think that. Dunno what, if anything, that has to do with this discussion, but I figured maybe my input could help solve this mystery, too. I will say that I know for sure when you're smoking LOTS of bud, and you go without it for a day, nausea, loss of appetite, and headache are all very common.

Just officially quit weed today for the first time since the beginning of last summer. It's been tough, but after a few months of cutting back and psyching myself up, I think this is gonna be a piece of cake at this point. I'm not quitting forever, just taking a break because my girlfriend has to for drug testing and I want to support her. Plus, I'd like to see what my perspective is like when I'm NOT stoned.