• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What are some majors I should look at involving music?

haikod

Bluelighter
I spent my first year and a half taking business classes with the intention of becoming a financial advisor, but long story short I started to despise the idea and have been on medical leave since March 2008. I'm going back in August but I am still unsure of what major I should declare.

I'd like to be a music producer or be involved in creating music and selling it somehow. Perhaps start a small business of people who write songs for bands or become a songwriter. Maybe even teach.
I don't know but I have an undying love for music and feel that it is only through music that I will be able to contribute to society.
Any ideas?

I'll admit right now that I haven't researched the different majors involving music yet, but am going to do so starting with this post.

Do you have any sort of musical background? Instruments, ability in reading music, music theory, etc.?

Oh, yeah I should add that I played classical piano for 9 years starting at 8, I can play clarinet and play acoustic guitar when I feel the need to chill out. I've been in one band that lasted almost a year and I plan on starting a band when I get back to school. I mostly play a Jazz/Blues combo but when I played keyboard in a band it was Rock (we covered 60's and 70's rock)

Last edited:
If you want to get into music production, a private College will beat University hands down.

I won't say that for many fields, but music is so hands-on and so specialized, that you're better off going to a private institution.

The University I go to actually has a very fine music department, it is the second best school in the state for that. I'd like to go to the private school (which is "#1") where I was offered a 5/6 scholarship but it is too late and I couldn't afford it anyway. I suppose I could have taken a loan but it wasn't worth it, considering at the time I wanted to major in business and the school I am going to is "#1" in the state for that field.

Last edited: