View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Small & Handy 5-MeO-DPT Thread

bradoi

Greenlighter
Tried the search engine, didn't find anything. Sorry if it's been asked/answered etc. already.

So, does anybody have experience with this compound?

There is a wikipedia entry on it, but there's nothing specific inside...

I know absolutely nothing of the DPT analogs, however I have seen 4-HO-DPT, 5-MeO-DPT, and 4-AcO-DPT offered quite often through certain places....so there might be something to it?

There are a couple of TR's out there for this compound, and a brief mention in Tihkal under the 5-meo-det entry, but it does not sound even remotely promising.

Erowid TR's> http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_5MeODPT.shtml

Tihkal quote> "To me, an obvious bridge to help explain this seeming discontinuity, would be the dipropyl analogue, I made the compound, and explored it up to its active levels. It is an easy compound to make, and has been known in the scientific literature for may years. My quandary was how to present it in this book. Should I make it a recipe in its own rights, giving the detailed synthesis and a formal position as an active tryptamine? But its actions are ambiguous, and not totally positive, making an argument for its inclusion as a footnote in some other, more interesting recipe. It is this latter route that I have chosen, so here is the 5-MeO-DPT story, both chemical and pharmacological, tucked away in the bigger 5-MeO-DET

CHEMISTRY : To a warm solution of 0.9 g 5-methoxytryptamine in 10 mL isopropanol there was added 2.8 mL diisopropylethylamine and 1.5 mL propyl iodide, and the mixture was heated on the steam bath for 5 h. TLC analysis at this time showed the presence of both the mono- and the dialkylamines, but there was no indication of the presence of unreacted 5-methoxytryptamine or of the quaternary salt. After removal of the volatiles under vacuum, a CH2Cl2 solution of the residue was treated with 1 g acetic anhydride (on the steam bath for 5 min) followed by 2 mL ammonium hydroxide. Extraction of this solution with 1 N H2SO4 proved to be almost worthless, as the extracts after separation, alkalinification with 6 N NaOH, extraction with CH2Cl2 and distillation of the residues following removal of the solvent, provided only a few milligrams of the desired product. The product had remained in the CH2Cl2. The solvent was removed under vacuum, and the residue partitioned between methanol (containing a small amount of aqueous NaOH) and hexane. The hexane fraction was concentrated under vacuum to provide 0.54 g of an almost colorless oil which was distilled by KugelRohr. A white oil was obtained, boiling at 170-180 °C at 0.04 mm / Hg which weighed 0.49 g. This was dissolved in 2.5 mL isopropanol and neutralized with 8 drops of concentrated HCl. The solution was diluted with 25 mL anhydrous Et2O to provide 5-methoxy-N,N-dipropyltryptamine hydrochloride as a white crystalline salt. This was removed by filtration, washed with Et2O, air dried to constant weight, and weighed 0.54 g. The mp was 193-194 °C. IR (in cm-1): 811, 828, 929, 1079, 1103, 1186. MS (in m/z): C7H16N+ 114 (100%); methoxyindolemethylene+ 160 (13%); parent ion 274 (3%).

QUALITATIVE COMMENTS : (with 4.0 mg, orally) "Within the hour there is something and after another hour there is nothing. Happy to go on up."

(with 6.0 mg, orally) "I am up above background for sure. Maybe to a ++, erotic maybe, and not too much light-headedness. It is comfortable. Completely out before the fourth hour."

(with 8.4 mg, orally) "Aware in 12 minutes, some head noises at 20 minutes. These noises are reminiscent of the 5-MeO-DET in that they were "bells" which were bad and the underlying "turn-on" which was good. But the "bells" were outweighing the "turn-on." Let's ride it out but then, for that matter, what choice is there! At the 25 minute point the turn-on now outweighs the bell noise. But these keep alternating. Pulse 84; no cardiovascular. But for the next half hour, the bells > the turn-on. At three hours, almost baseline, and I eat modestly. I have better things to do with my time."

I'd definitely be interested in hearing more on 4-ho/aco-dpt though;)

no karma, it's 5-MeO-DPT that I mean... It's strange that there's so little information on that compound... I sort of expected it to relate to DPT the same way 5-MeO-DMT does to DMT...

Here are two reports I posted. I unfortunately have been experiencing a significantly deteriorated mental state lately (getting better, but still messed up), so there may not be any more from me, at least for a long time.

https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/389096 (this one is also posted on erowid)

Hope that helps. I really wish I could continue my trials, but I guess it was not meant to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this report i'd really like to know if some more people have tried this compound?

I really like DPT, even more so the 4-HO/AcO-Counterparts, so any news on this one perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I tried 4-Ho-DPT it was hardly active up to 25mg, maybe a +2. 5-MeO-DPT seems promising.

After reading this report i'd really like to know if some more people have tried this compound?

I really like DPT, even more so the 4-HO/AcO-Counterparts, so any news on this one perhaps?
I remember reading forum posts about it around 03' 04' during its peak availabilty. Shulgin's unfavorable commentary is pretty representative from what I recall, so I don't think we're missing much. I'd say that linked to report is probably an outlier. If I had it and was going to try it, though, I would freebase and vaporize it.

I just noticed that this has become available again. Has anyone tried 5-MeO-DPT since this ^ last post in 2013? Seems like it could be a double-black-diamond kind of a psychedelic. I'm a fan of 5-MeO-DMT and DPT, so this seems intriguing.

I tried twice two weekends ago. Its intense as fuck.

I'm still trying to integrate after vaping 10mg... I don't think I'm ready to write a full report until I wait to see if I can hold myself to the agreements I made with myself during the trip. It wasn't even particularly terrifying but it seems to have an extremely logical, powerful and cold reinforcing nature. Aspects of my personality and biases in decision making I have been conflicted and flip-flopping over for years became immediately resolved; black and white. I'm also not sure how much value such a report would have to anyone other than myself. I'm not even particularly comfortable talking about the conclusions I came to because they are quite personal.

Double-black-diamond indeed. That said, I'm very happy I tried it because of how beneficial it appears to have been. I only wish that those benefits do not dissipate.

For now, here's my 5mg report - which was no where near the intensity of 10mg.

Material: 5mg 5-MeO-DPT freebase. A rather sticky, fine white powder.
Supplements (at 09:00): 5g creatine, "GNC" fish oil, B vitamin complex, 500mg "NOW" rhodiola.
Setting: At home after work.
Set: At ease, excited to try a new material. Well rested.
Allergy test: Vaped <1mg 3 days ago. Felt mild threshold.

The material vaped easily at a reasonably low temperature. The smoke is not harsh and the pipe is completely clean afterwards. This is around 19:10. I start feeling the effects within 10 seconds of exhaling.

I essentially felt the physical effects of DPT along with a pleasant but short psychedelic mind trip. The headspace is notably different from DPT, with none of the surreal sort of indifference it invokes. I actually seem to be somewhat hindered in introspection, which I discover as I force myself to look inwards in an attempt to discover the true effects of this drug. I have a hard time pinpointing the exact effects over the span the first 10 minutes and change my mind about their nature multiple times. At first I feel very stimulated. There are mild, indistinct, blurry and colourful visual pattens spanning my visual field. But as I become distracted from the visuals it seems simply as though I am just extremely mentally relaxed and physically stimulated.

But as I look closer, it seems as though the effect is primarily composed of a kind of low frequency vibration which permeates everything within. When walking, I can feel my perception of the ground wobbling a bit beneath my feet. My thoughts seem to wobble or vibrate in timbre. But surprisingly, there are no tremors; no wobbling of muscles. This wobbling effect seems to induce a kind of tension or anxiety as a side effect since I can feel it in my chest and internal organs. I feel as if my whole being is shivering in slow motion as if from the cold. The vibration is mentally comforting, but puts me physically at unease. It's a normal thing, as far as I can tell, for mental vibrations to be comforting and internally originating physical vibrations to be uncomfortable. Perhaps it would be nicer paired with music. I did not try.

There seems to be no significant social impairment - I can talk fluently, but Redacted notes that I appear to be extremely relaxed, moving and talking in slow motion. Supposedly this effect wears off over the first 5 minutes. I was unaware of this occuring, and I actually felt quite energetic and hyped up from the vibrations. But apparently there is some disconnect between how I feel and how I appear to feel.

Any visual distortions are gone after the first 5 minutes, at which point everything starts to look extremely vivid, clear and detailed. Looking out the window, I find my ability to resolve small details in far away objects is greatly enhanced. The remaining vibrations and resulting tension wear off slowly over the next three hours. At the three hour mark I go out for a run. I feel a little bit of tension in my chest initially but it quickly goes away as the runners high takes over.

I would be comfortable pushing the dose up to 10mg, but due to the uncomfortable body load I wouldn't immediately push it higher than that without testing an intermediate dose. I suspect that at some point, the body load becomes irrelevant when paired with a sufficiently comfortable set and setting. I really hope I can eventually go up to the level where the visual character becomes clearly defined. But, we will see. It's a challenging one, for certain. Perhaps more so than DPT.

Because the physical tension lasts longer than the psychedelic mental effects, perhaps tolerance is built faster to the physical effects. That may make redosing after 3+ hours effective. Something to try anyways.

I did end up redosing in a sense, since I took the 10mg the next morning.

Last edited:
Wow, great report. If you ever feel compelled to write about your 10mg experience, I'd love to read it too, but it's true that some experiences don't translate really well to words. My impression of this was always kind of negative, but it sounds like it has some real potential.

Yeah thanks for the report chronular. I'll echo what Xorkoth said - I'd love to read your 10mg report as well, if you can put it into words.

It seems like it's available as a freebase, not as a salt. I tend to shy away from vaping, are there any simple conversions to a fumarate or something else snuffable?

I just noticed that this has become available again. Has anyone tried 5-MeO-DPT since this ^ last post in 2013? Seems like it could be a double-black-diamond kind of a psychedelic. I'm a fan of 5-MeO-DMT and DPT, so this seems intriguing.

this guy mountain bikes. lol

Yeah thanks for the report chronular. I'll echo what Xorkoth said - I'd love to read your 10mg report as well, if you can put it into words.

It seems like it's available as a freebase, not as a salt. I tend to shy away from vaping, are there any simple conversions to a fumarate or something else snuffable?

Wouldn't the freebase be nasally bioavailable anyway?

I won't be trying this one anyway, but I'll grab the popcorn and read the reports. I find both DPT and 5-MeO-DMT disturbing. Thinking about what this might be like gives me the willies.

It's pretty easy to convert a freebase to a salt. You just have to mix it with an acid in solution and the salt will immediately form. With DMT, you add fumaric acid dissolved in acetone to DMT dissolved in acetone, and the DMT fumarate crystallizes because it's not soluble in acetone.