• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Grapefruit Juice and Xanax Question

DeadheadChemistry

Bluelighter
Ok so I posted these questions in the Grapefruit FAQ thread and waited a few days, no replies so that's why I am making a thread in case anyone wonders.

In the first post of the Grapefruit FAQ thread, the OP said to drink 6-8 glasses of grapefruit juice before taking your medication for potentiation. That has to be a load of crap right? I mean if I drank that much grapefruit juice my stomach before taking my Xanax I would be so full I would probably be puking, and I thought you get better effects from drugs by taking them on an empty stomach, not a stomach full of grapefruit juice?

Basically PLEASE somebody just tell me this, if I am wanting to potentiate my Xanax:

a) How long before taking the Xanax do I drink the grapefruit juice?

b) How much grapefruit juice or how many glasses do I drink if I am drinking store bought 100% concentrate white grapefruit juice?

c) Does drinking grapefruit juice on a regular basis also help potentiate Xanax? Like if I drink it throughout the week occasionally will it help?

If someone can answer these questions I would be very grateful!

Ok so I posted these questions in the Grapefruit FAQ thread and waited a few days, no replies so that's why I am making a thread in case anyone wonders.

In the first post of the Grapefruit FAQ thread, the OP said to drink 6-8 glasses of grapefruit juice before taking your medication for potentiation. That has to be a load of crap right? I mean if I drank that much grapefruit juice my stomach before taking my Xanax I would be so full I would probably be puking, and I thought you get better effects from drugs by taking them on an empty stomach, not a stomach full of grapefruit juice?

Basically PLEASE somebody just tell me this, if I am wanting to potentiate my Xanax:

b) How much grapefruit juice or how many glasses do I drink if I am drinking store bought 100% concentrate white grapefruit juice?

c) Does drinking grapefruit juice on a regular basis also help potentiate Xanax? Like if I drink it throughout the week occasionally will it help?

If someone can answer these questions I would be very grateful!

I'm guessing he meant 6-8 ounces?

Try a half hour before hand, drinking throughout the week will not help because of the bodys awsome feedback abilities. Google it if you wanna know more.

Ahh, i have heard of this before does it really work? i would drink it half hour before if it was me to just experiment

Try 30-45 minutes.
1-2 average size glasses.
Nope.

--------------

Ahh, i have heard of this before does it really work? i would drink it half hour before if it was me to just experiment

I'm mostly familiar with Grapefruit Juice as a potentiator with opiates. But to answer your question in general, its usually a very hit or miss method. Works great for some people, but for alot of others (myself included) its usually pretty ineffective. Basically, using trial and error to determine whether it helps or not is the only way to find out for sure.

Last edited:
i havent noticed any potentiation with xanax and grapefruit juice in the past, actually the only benzo i found to be potentiated by gfj in my body is valium. there's studies to back this too. 8 - 12 oz of 100% gfj 30-45 min before valium is supposed to add an hour or so to the tmax (time to max concentration in the blood) and be up to 3 times stronger. i can attest to that for sure. other benzos i havent noticed one bit of help.
i love to drink grapefruit juice too, i go for the simply juice stuff, pretty pure, and tasty.

#1 simply grapefruit is the best <3 lol #2 I found IME the gpj just made me very tired/lazy feeling with the Xanax. And made it last a while too. Like I'd wake up next day feeling like a zombie who couldn't crawl out of bed. I believe it just increases the buildup on Xanax in ur bloodstream causing it to be released slower into ur system due to the gpj inhibiting and tying up the enzyme used to metabolize it. Therefore it metabolizes the dose slower over a greater periodvof time but seems to only keep the sedative effects in the slow release. Not sure if I made much sense or if I'm correct lol.

if i drink 12fl oz. of 30% pure grapefruit juice with about 4 xanax bars it's like i took 51/2 to 6 bars and it lasts about 2 hours longer than normal but it did make me more sedated than i usually get from my xanax

I agree usually my Xanax hits hard n males me feel amazing. However last nite I drank a few glasses of gpj n it just made me extremely groggy I woke up culdnt fall back asleep but I felt like a zombie. Not good. IME gpj is effective at op potentation but for Xanax just turns it into seroquil lol. Above poster your correct in your assumption that it inhibits the cyp450 enzyme creating slower absorption eventually leading to higher levels in your bloodstream causing the sedative effects to be more drawn out over a period over 8hrs or so IME.

I never really noticed a difference with using white grapefruit juice b4 opiates or benzo's, but I just so happened to just have drank about 20 oz's of 100% white grapefruit juice about 20mins ago and now I shall eat 1.5mg of alprazolam (Xanax) to see if it feels any different or last longer....Its just so hard to differentiate effects from Xanax (or any benzo) taken with White Grapefruit Juice and Xanax (or any benzo) taken without White Grapefruit juice...

Last edited:
I never really noticed a difference with using white grapefruit juice b4 opiates or benzo's, but I just so happened to just have drank about 20 oz's of 100% white grapefruit juice about 20mins ago and now I shall eat 1.5mg of alprazolam (Xanax) to see if it feels any different or last longer....Its just so hard to differentiate effects from Xanax (or any benzo) taken with White Grapefruit Juice and Xanax (or any benzo) taken without White Grapefruit juice...

So did it work out good? Did it definitely potentiate the xanax? I need to know ASAP I'm about to go get some 100% white grapefuit juice soon.

not sure if grapefruit juice will potentiate benzos, only reason grapefruit juice even potentates pills such as opiates is because of an enzyme that is being inhibited in the liver, that is really all I know, I am sure you can find out more.

What I did to potentiate opiates was drink 16oz of ruby red 100percent grapefruit juice, at least 20 minutes prior to taking the medication, (on an empty stomach, dont eat 1-2 hours before drinking grapefruit juice). I did notice an increase in high, however what I noticed the most was how long the effect lasted for, I was gone for like 3 hours ( usually opiate high would last like an hour, with already high tolerance). maybe try what I did for benzos....