question about background checks for employment...

sweetbeatlvr

Bluelighter
i am trying to get a job at a local grocery store as a pharmacy clerk.

part of the pre-employment process is a drug screen (which i know i will pass), and a background check.

my question is what all will show up on the background check?

i believe (almost positive), when i filled out the application, it said they would be checking for convictions (not traffic tickets or anything like that). i have been arrested before, but have never been convicted for anything (i'm currently on pre-trial diversion, in which the charges will be dismissed after i complete probation).

so if it says they are checking for convictions, do you think my arrest would prevent me from getting the job?

You have to read the question very carefully--are they looking for convictions or pending charges, or both, even your arrest record. Also do they say criminal charges, which are misdemeanor or felonies only.

the part on the application that explains the background check, specifically says (taken directly from the application):

" I hereby authorize The Kroger Company to procure, to the extent permitted by law, a criminal background check.

I understand that inquiries will include convictions involving dishonesty, violence or drug related offenses. This authorization shall apply to pre-employment and post-employment inquiries."

also, the only question on the application, pertaining to anything criminal, asked: have you ever been convicted of a felony?

i answered no, because i have not ever been convicted of anything.

do different employers check for different things? such as, some only check for convictions, some for convictions and arrests?

i know some go as far to check for credit ratings and evrything, but don't they have to specifically state exactly what they are searching for?

seems to me, from how it stated their check would include convictions (and no mention of anything else), that that is all they would be checking for?

am i wrong?

the interview went great. was basically told as long as everything came back ok, the job would be mine. would be a shame if they judged me on a dumb mistake that i have no intention of doing again.

seems to me, from how it stated their check would include convictions (and no mention of anything else), that that is all they would be checking for?

Possibly, but I don't think you can assume that from the way it's worded. (It doesn't say "include just this", but it doesn't say "include this and other things").

It would be helpful if you told us where you are...I'm guessing the US, but which state? The laws are likely to be different.

I would imagine that a company like Kroger would look at ALL arrests and convictions. If you are applying for a pharm tech position and have a drug arrest/pending charge, they probably would not hire you.

I would imagine that a company like Kroger would look at ALL arrests and convictions. If you are applying for a pharm tech position and have a drug arrest/pending charge, they probably would not hire you.

Let me rephrase--they may have a corporate-wide policy that prohibits against hiring pharmacy personnel with a prior drug-related arrest, pending charge, or conviction, no matter how they may feel about you as an individual. Did you discuss it at your interview?

I hope it goes well for you.

You have to read the question very carefully--are they looking for convictions or pending charges, or both, even your arrest record. Also do they say criminal charges, which are misdemeanor or felonies only.
This is the most important advice when filling out a job, school, or professional application. Always READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY and answer it truthfully. But since you have not been convicted of a felony, it appears that you answered the application question honestly.

In KY, charges are dismissed once you complete diversion. It is then recommended that you check to see whether the charges appeared and/or have been bexpunged from your record as outlined under Kentucky law. (KRS 431.076)

http://courts.ky.gov/stateprograms/diversion/
http://apps.kycourts.net/localrules/rules/C16PRETRIALDIVERSIONPROGRAM.pdf

But the big question is whether a diversion charge will appear on a background check in the interim. I have not read anything that answers this question conclusively, so it might be worth (1) calling your local KY pre-trial official to check on their policy in this regard, (2) running a KY criminal background check on yourself, or (3) searching for more information on this independently.

It should also be said that state and local governments are known for messing up their judicial paperwork, sometimes to your advantage and other times not to your advantage. So even if you know the proper recordkeeping procedures for charges held during a pretrial diversion -- it will still take some vigilance on your part to make sure that everything is functioning as it's supposed to. Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for your your replies, very much appreciated.

when i went in for the interview, i was just expecting to be interviewing for a cashier position, but as we went on, she said the position they were hiring for was for a pharmacy tech.

we did not discuss anything pertaining to prior arrests or anything. she only mentioned that she has hardly ever had anyone not pass the background check, and made a comment like, as long as you've never murdered anyone or anything...

anyways, thanks for the well wishes. i could really use this opportunity, to actually make something of myself, and not be stuck working in restaurants for the rest of my life.=)

it's in God's hands now.=)

luckily, u have not been asked the damn question "have u ever been arrested?"

I would ask the people that are doing ur diversion if ur arrest will so up on a background check, but it sounds like they are not checking for "arrests"

its in ur higher powers hands

if you dont get the job, be sure u find out why!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

let us know

steve

SWEETBEVER- i think i remember responding to a thread of yours like a year ago, werent u arrested for coke? if u were, i doubt u'll get a job in ANY pharmacy....

I just lie about my own DUI/marijuana possession. Its worked so far. But, I've never went for a government position or whatever.

I don't think they check at most grocery stores.

believe it or not, they do. you wouldn't believe how much cash goes through a busy grocery store on a good day.

I just lie about my own DUI/marijuana possession. Its worked so far. But, I've never went for a government position or whatever.

I don't think they check at most grocery stores.

I would imagine that they would for a position where there is a lot of cash handled (most of the cameras are aimed at employees rather than patrons).

I think that it would be especially difficult to secure a position at a pharmacy with pending drug charges. I have a friend who is a pharmacist and I asked him about this, and his response was that it would be very difficult to be hired while the pending charges have yet to be resolved (i.e., positive outcome for the prospective employee), and a history of prior arrests.

OP, have you heard anything yet?

But if they are only asking for convictions, you are probably off the hook. As part of my current job, I was asked the same question and I have no convictions.

well, just heard back from her today, and she said my drug test and background check came back good, and i got the job!!!

i start orientation Friday!

i'm so excited, because i was told that once i got the postion, the company would pay for me to take the test to become a certified pharmacy technician!

i needed this opportunity to actually make something of myself, actually start a career, instead of being stuck in restaurant postions for the rest of my life.

thanks to all who responded, i really appreciate it.

now, u got to keep ur life clean, knowing that any drug related issue could kill ur pharm tech job forever

good luck and keep clean

yep, for sure. =)

i've been doing really good since all that crap went down w/ getting arrested.

i had 5 years clean before that incident.

i believe God was looking out for me, because i was messing around w/ the crap here and there, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. even though it sucked getting arrested, i'm thankful for it, becuase it caught me before it could have turned into a bad scene again.

i feel like i've been given a gift again, and i'm taking it real serious.

thanks for your well wishes, much appreciated.<3

Thanks? You think we're going to settle for a "Thanks"??? noOoOoOoOooOooo

Now you have to tell us the pharmacy address and your work hours. We will be there expecting free prescription drugs for helping you! :)