• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Will Amphetamines help Opiate withdrawal?

Actually, amphetamine can be of remarkable benefit in opioid addiction, particularly past the acute withdrawal sickness. Not that I have ever even tried a strong opioid (I just hate the feeling of opioids), but long ago, amphetamine was frequently used and recommended for morphine/opium addiction.

And there is no reason to assume that just because someone takes a small dose of amphetamine that they will automatically become some kind of psychotic, suicidal/homicidal lunatic--also, not everyone experiences an intense crash from a low amphetamine dose. As long as one sticks to small, therapeutic doses, the dopaminergic effects could actually be quite a benefit. There is a huge difference in a low daily oral dose of dexamphetamine and going on a four day, balls to the wall tweak-a-thon smoking a gram of methamphetamine at a time.

And yes, it would be bad to take amphetamine and opioids at the same time: if you are attempting to use amphetamine as a palliative treatment during withdrawal in the hopes of stopping opioids, taking more opioids is just going to fuck everything up.

To the OP: when taking amphetamines as a treatment for other chemical addictions, it absolutely vital that you do not attempt to chase any kind of "rush" with the amphetamine--take a consistent, therapeutic-level dose and don't snort, smoke, mainline or shove amphetamine up your ass...and absolutely stay the hell away from cocaine.

Last edited:
Well, The Amps definitely made stomache cramps and diarrhea worse but other than that they helped. Luckily I got my opiate situation fixed. Im back on Oxy and Dilaudid but my dose has been cut nearly in half. Still helps a lot though. Im starting suboxone on monday. Im glad I didn't have to comedown on the amphetamines while still in withdrawal though. That would've been tough.

yea i can see how amps might give a mood boost during PAWS as long as you don't overdo it. but during acute withdrawal just sounds like a recipe for a panic attack if you ask me.

^^ That's good, buprenorphine is the best therapeutic for opioid addiction. Just remember, from what friends have told me, it helps a lot, but you do have to want to get clean--stick with it and don't try to get really high by using dope at the same time, otherwise, you'll just end up going back to using dope.

It can help significantly with the psychological aspect of WD (if you traditionally feel good mentally on ritalin, adderral, etc. But it can also make you feel physically pretty bad, too, depending on the person.
But let's say you do happen to get great relief from it (almost total relief for some people), the come-down could be the dealbreaker. Coming down on amphs sucks, in fact it almost feels like opiate withdrawal in some weird way to some people, thereby making the WD even worse.
However the come-down alleviating aids might help, like benzos and pot.
But I don't recommend trying any of this just in case in makes it worse.
For my friend, it works absolute wonders, but that's not an endorsement, just some information. Especially the fact that another friend said he hated it and it made it worse.

ugh fucking wa-wa. Opiate withdrawal is nothing compared to benzo w/d's!

and try havn amphet psycosis ontop of benzo w/d's!! ive been there n its not cool.

Amphetamine information

Personally I think there would be too much risks involved when you are withdrawing. I know speed works on both the dopamine and adrenaline neurons so it would give you an euphoric and energetic feeling (or in my case: relaxation because of my ADHD) because you are messing with your brain's reward centre.

Below are some of the effects of Amphetamine:

Desired effects:
A heigthened dopamine level in your brain would result in euphoria. Adrenaline would make you feel energetic because it stimulates the part of your nervous system that propels your body into an immediate active state and prepares it for great physical efforts. This will give you an increased heartbeat, blood pressure and body temperature. It will also expand your bronchial tubes and give you tense muscles due to the increased oxygen supply. The pupils in your eyes will enlarge as well.

Overheating:
Adrenaline induces a higher body temp and you can get overheated just like XTC if you are in a hot place, dance a lot and get dehydrated.

High blood pressure:
Extended Amphetamine use can increase your blood pressure to dangerous levels.

Teeth grinding:
The tensed muscles in your jaw make you grind and damage your teeth.

Depression:
The action of Amphetamine can exhaust your supply of dopamine, and that can trigger feelings of depression.

Dependency:
The effect that Amphetamine has on your brains reward centre can make you dependent on the drug. You want to experience that euphoric feeling again and again. Tolerance to Amphetamine can also develop. As the number of nerve receptors dwindles, you need more Amphetamine to feel the same effects.

Psychoses:
Too much Amphetamine can also lead to psychotic episodes, hallucinations and extreme paranoia. Here, too, the disrupted dopamine transmission is to blame.

Damage:
It has been shown that nerve damage can result from the long-term use of Amphetamine. Dopamine axons may shrivel. Since that reduces the number of working dopamine neurons, it becomes harder to achieve pleasurable feelings.

Amphetamine (or lighter stimulants like Methylphenidate) would not help someone who is withdrawing from Opiates I think because of the comedown, but I am just a newbie when it comes to neurochemistry etc. I listed all the effects I could find but I can not give anymore advice on this topic. :\

I would suggest using Benzodiazepines for a short period of time to help ease the withdrawals, some weed and loperamide might help as well. I would suggest taking omega 3 & 6 fish oil, magnesium, multivitamins and Valerian supplements, maybe Kratom would help as well?

I hope this helps somewhat, good luck. :)

Peace o/

I use to go on ritalin for half a month and then switch to tramadol for half a month. although I was already addicted to tramadol at that time, the ritalin did indeed help when I was in wd. but the crash was fucking horrible. If you got benzos then this idea might work out but if not then Id advise against it.

What is PAWS? I have never seen that term in all the forums I browse and now it seems to be popping up in every thread. Oh and yes I did utsfe, no definitions found, just the word.

I believe it stands for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It means after you get through withdrawals, you still feel like shit. I've heard it can last a long time (depending on how long your addicted).

PAWS is Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It occurs with benzodiazepines, where it's called by the medical proffesionals as 'Protracted Benzodiazepine Withdrawal'. It also occurs in Opiate withdrawal syndrome, but the side-effects from quitting opiates cold turkey are miniscule compared to benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.

UTFSE next time dude.

And yes, it would be bad to take amphetamine and opioids at the same time: if you are attempting to use amphetamine as a palliative treatment during withdrawal in the hopes of stopping opioids, taking more opioids is just going to fuck everything up.

i mean is it bad if i'm not addicted to either? like if i use opiates for a few days, i sometimes feel a little depressed a few days after, so if i use amphetamines with the opiates and stop at the same time, would i end up feeling really depressed? instead of just mild, like i would feel if i had only used one or the other alone.

quote from someone i met in a clinic, "coke takes the last sanity out of the w/d"

no, you will be edgy as a ruler

opiates produce feelgood antianxiety feelings
speed will feel very different without this under blanket

more than likely it will induce anxiety and paranoia

I rarely take uppers, so my tolerance to them is low & this might not apply to many people...but Adderall saved me for about 6 hours once when I was withdrawing. I got slight euphoria and tons of energy to get some shit done. Speaking of shit, make sure you have a bathroom around if you do this.

The answer is yes. Not only directly through its NE mechanisms (which opioid WD is largely, in inverse, caused by), but also by it's own analgesic effects, and it's own rewarding properties.

A couple of times i was in withdrawal i took some phet and my withdrawal was gone! But as everyone has said,sooner or later you've gotta do the comedown :(
I do know people that have successfully gotten off heroin by switching to speed and being constantly up for 5 days but i wouldn't recommend doing that,it cant be good for you.

Sorry so late in posting...hope somebody reads this...
I for one find amphetamines (pharm, not meth) to be excellent withdrawal aids. Yes, the comedown is twice as bad, that''s why you gotta have benzos on hand to help with anxiety and insomnia. But the feeling of being high on speed greatly masks the unpleasant withdrawal feelings (only for a few days, as mentioned above don't go on a big binge).
Research the amount of time it takes your opioid of choice to leave your system and only use the speed (sparingly) for that time period...for example, I am addicted to fentanyl, which is incredibly short-lived and doesn't stay in the body long at all (I am in full-blown WD about 14 hours after removingf my last patch). But the upside is, fentanyl withdrawal is pretty short-lived, albeit intense and just as unpleasant as any other opioid. I just take light doses of speed during these days, and it gets me through it. It still sucks, but it really masks the symptoms.
The only thing that sucks is the anorexic and insomniac effects--try to avoid not eating by snacking on small meals throughout the day--fruit, soups, toast, milk are always easy to get down. And like I said above, try to have some benzos or another potent enough sleep aid nearby because if you spend too long without sleep then you'll REALLY be sorry.