• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Stupid People In Class

mdmantpa

Bluelighter
OK, maybe it's just me but I get so put off when I'm in class and hear stupid shit come out of people's mouths. For example, I was in my human services class, part of the Counseling major. We were talking about drugs and therapy, and that's when the retards started giving their opinions. I heard all sorts of stuff about how if they found out their client was a drug user that they would call the police.
I was like WHAT THE FUCK? Are you serious? How does getting your client put in jail help his mental state at all? I mean I thought we were in the profession to HELP people, not ruin their lives with a criminal record. I heard all sorts of other shit about how drug addicts are just weak people or bad people that can never change. I mean this really bothers and worries me. These people actually are going to school to become psychotherapists and they have this kind of thinking about addiction?

Sorry, I'm starting to rant, but I can't stand people who know nothing about drug addiction try and act like they know what's up because they read a few books, and took a drug class...Then stupid shit like this comes pouring out of their mouths. Ugghhhh....

Does anyone else think that we need to try and change the way addiction is viewed by the general public? I mean even our legal system is so far fucked when it comes to drug laws. IMO drugs should be legalized and regulated, with addiction becoming a public health issue, instead of a legal one. Half of the damage done to individuals and the community is due to prohibition its self. Also, they say that this nation was founded under God, and from what I know God gave us free agency, the ability to choose right from wrong. Who gave them the power to take away that agency, and try to decide for us what we can and can not do to ourselves? Idk, I just don't get it....

Last edited:
OK, maybe it's just me but I get so put off when I'm in class and hear stupid shit come out of people's mouths. For example, I was in my human services class, part of the Counseling major. We were talking about drugs and therapy, and that's when the retards started giving their opinions. I heard all sorts of stuff about how if they found out their client was a drug user that they would call the police.
I was like WHAT THE FUCK? Are you serious? How does getting your client put in jail help his mental state at all? I mean I thought we were in the profession to HELP people, not ruin their lives with a criminal record. I heard all sorts of other shit about how drug addicts are just weak people or bad people that can never change. I mean this really bothers and worries me. These people actually are going to school to become psychotherapists and they have this kind of thinking about addiction?

Sorry, I'm starting to rant, but I can't stand people who know nothing about drug addiction try and act like they know what's up because they read a few books, and took a drug class...Then stupid shit like this comes pouring out of their mouths. Ugghhhh....

Does anyone else think that we need to try and change the way addiction is viewed by the general public? I mean even our legal system is so far fucked when it comes to drug laws. IMO drugs should be legalized and regulated, with addiction becoming a public health issue, instead of a legal one. Half of the damage done to individuals and the community is due to prohibition its self. Also, they say that this nation was founded under God, and from what I know God gave us free agency, the ability to choose right from wrong. Who gave them the power to take away that agency, and try to decide for us what we can and can not do to ourselves? Idk, I just don't get it....

If you're going to give your opinion on a subject, you'd better be prepared to qualify it with personal experience.

It would probably have been a good idea to spell check the title before making this thread.... ;)

I really hate people who go to class and don't do the reading or pay attention to anything the prof is talking about but decide to blurt out random ass comments and opinions that are ridiculous and make no sense just because they think it will give them some participation points...

Yeah, sorry about the spelling, I just saw that too, it was like 3am and I was just bitching because I couldn't sleep lol. I guess it bothers me more that people can honestly think and believe these ridiculous stereotypes about drugs and drug addicts. Like honestly, I don't get how these 'smart' educated people can believe such nonsense at times. IDK, I try to give my two cents in class, but most of the time I just roll my eyes and focus on something else.

...I heard all sorts of other shit about how drug addicts are just weak people or bad people that can never change. I mean this really bothers and worries me. These people actually are going to school to become psychotherapists and they have this kind of thinking about addiction?

I would say that those people are in the wrong line of work if they have a condescending attitude toward possible future clients who may seek their help.

This is one reason that I am majoring in psychology. I have experienced my own problems with drugs in the past, and I have seen what addiction can do to people. I am also mentally ill and have been through the system, been on medications, been depressed, manic, and psychotic, so I feel I could bring a lot to the table in that way, too.

Does anyone else think that we need to try and change the way addiction is viewed by the general public?...

Certainly. Unfortunately, much like mental illness, people who have never experienced it first hand, have a family member or friend who has gone through these things, will have a lot of difficulty trying to understand what addiction is all about. There is still a very big stigma about addiction, just like mental illness. There needs to be a lot more education and a great deal more advocating by recovered addicts to show people what this is all about.

We have a very long way to go. Psychology has improved things, but it still has a great deal of room for improvement.

Sorry, I'm starting to rant, but I can't stand people who know nothing about drug addiction try and act like they know what's up because they read a few books, and took a drug class...

Do you think that people need to experience addiction themselves to become knowledgeable about it? To make an analogy, do I need to buy and sell in the stock market to accrue any knowledge about our financial system?
Regardless, your classes will have people making...well, insipid comments. It is your instructor's job to call on others if such comments are crowding out others' chances to speak.
Move to CEP, maybe?

ebola

Do you think that people need to experience addiction themselves to become knowledgeable about it? To make an analogy, do I need to buy and sell in the stock market to accrue any knowledge about our financial system?

I don't think you necessarily need to have personally experienced addiction, although I wonder how many of those students rely on lower grade stimulants like caffeine to get themselves through the day.

I would, however, trust you had experienced drugs at some point, or had a close friend or family member suffer through addiction. I mean, some real-world perspective in case you're called upon to back up your statements.

Nothing sounds quite so disingenuous as a kid who grew up in a white-washed prep school in a stable nuclear family, having their post-secondary paid for, living on campus, talking about the realities of drug use and addiction.

"You try to understand a users mind with all your books and degrees, but if you let yourself go and open your mind, I bet you'd be using like me, and it ain't so bad"--Layne Staley (Alice in Chains: "Junkhead")

Hey, just because other people do something doesnt mean you have to do something too. These people have their own preconceived notions about drug use and everything else. You are their for YOUR education into commonly accepted methods and practices in the profession of your choosing. These people will learn what they allow themselves to; they will not change based on current anomalies in their constructed world. Everybody interprets the world differently, these people, most likely, will end up failing because of their inflexibility. Just be there to learn; you cant change the people, the opinions or the professionally accepted procedures.

Thank you for your replies. And to Dr Gonzo, yes I know I am there for my education, it just worries me that if and when some of these people get their degrees in human services which leads to careers in psychotherapy, addiction recovery, social work, probationary/legal services, etc. just how badly they could have a negative impact on a drug addict seeking/needing proper help.
To ebola? yes I do believe that one must have experienced addiction first hand to TRULY understand it. I'm not saying that it should be a requirement in order to help people with addictions, but I am saying that non-addicts in all of my experience have never been able to truly comprehend the exact nature of addiction. Even the most open-minded people with second-hand experience of addiction still have trouble understanding the obsessive, never ending stream of thoughts and the compulsion and need to use at times for reasons unknown. Even to your analogy I would say first hand experience in working with the financial system would make you better, just as most anything would. Reading and learning is great, but it comes down to applying it in the field and having a working knowledge that actually benefits oneself and mankind IMO. Thanks guys

Man, these stupid people are already in business. Their kind will always exist; absorbing and spitting out information for that chunk of paper. They'll make big decisions effecting the lives of millions of people just to cut the amount of paperwork and boost the vacant empty hours of staring into a television. It's just easier; draw the lines; make the rules; right the wrongs. All just so country simple for many people in existence. But for all the people who draw the lines in black and white, there are those that wish to color the spaces down to the nooks and crannies in their world. We can not and will not paint the same picture and dont you let anyone touch that canvas but you.

I thought a therapy session is confidential including illegal activities unless the therapist believes someone, including the patient's life is in danger. Now I guess this could be interpreted to include drugs but how does contacting the police instead of recommending treatment, help their patient?

Would your peers in the field squeal on a user of a substance that cannot/rarely cause death and little physical harm? Like cannabis and just about all psychedelics.

I also think there is a push from the right to put fundamental Christians and right-leaning people into therapist positions. I cannot prove it but I have seen evidence of it, there is a Christian private school in the area that is pumping out psychology majors by the dozens, teaching them biblical instead of evolutionary explanations for psychology.

^^Yes it is confidential, that was what was making me so upset I guess, and it was for anything, even weed. IDK, specific religious sects could be doing what you say but I guess they have the right to even if I don't like it at all.

I think we can learn from this and be sure that you can trust your therapist before you mention sensitive information about your private life.

I have never cared for therapists, when I was in early adolescence my parents would sometimes make me go to them, I felt like the probing did more bad than good, it is not necessary at that age, it is for adults. My parents would freak out at any normal adolescence male shenanigans, that and they had some extra money to throw around at the time.

I think what you're failing to see is that some people want to get into the profession of helping people, but they may not be as savvy about harm reduction or addiction as others. You don't need to experience addiction to help others. You also need to realize that not everyone is going to share your views on any topic, and it certainly doesn't make them stupid. :|

Rogue Robot, yes some people might not have as much experience, and maybe a better word for stupid would be ignorant. I wasn't saying that because they didn't share my views or beliefs, I was saying that because it is one of the most basic ethical standards in the field of mental health and would usually put their client in the way of much more harm then help. Also as I stated above, I don't think that one needs to experience addiction to help others. I also stated that I believe one must experience addiction to truly understand it, and I will stick by that statement. I've met many people who claim that they are open-minded and understand it in my field, but upon further conversations it becomes apparent, that although their intentions are good, and they DO help many people, that they just don't know what its like. I'm also not implying that every addict understands addiction either. It's a very complex subject, that I have experienced for many years and studied for quite a while.

And I still stand by my statement of being more tolerant toward others. You get more flies with honey. ;)

haha yes I should, I am sorry. I just get worn down when I hear the same stuff over and over in class that I find annoying. But upon looking at the situation, I guess that's really my problem, not theirs.