• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Perpetual students

I'm prolly gonna go into business or finance after I work in research for a few years. Or I might get an MBA when I get my MS.

Hell, if I was a millionaire I'd sit on my ass and have sex all day long and then go to class every other day for the rest of my life.

^heh, funny you say that. I can have sex everyday and be a student for the rest of my life and NOT be a millionare! With NZ girls being some of the most promiscuous in the world and all haha!

na, on the handle bars of my push bike :D hahahahaha

Or maybe on a bus, lol.

I think there is a sort of insanity among many career students.

People who graduate without a competitive degree, and when they find there aren't many jobs, return to school as if more years of looking at books and trying to figure out how to be effective in class will make them a stronger candidate for a job.

I think most if not all competent employers understand that someone who has 2 years of work experience and a bachelors degree will be a much better hire than someone who just hung out in school getting their mba and racking up debt.

For MANY people, continuing school is an avoidance behavior. Yes, there are some jobs where it is vital, like Lawyer or Medical Doctor, but for any other area of study I strongly question it. Even engineering and hard sciences, though they can possibly see some benefits.

I think there is a sort of insanity among many career students.

People who graduate without a competitive degree, and when they find there aren't many jobs, return to school as if more years of looking at books and trying to figure out how to be effective in class will make them a stronger candidate for a job.

I think most if not all competent employers understand that someone who has 2 years of work experience and a bachelors degree will be a much better hire than someone who just hung out in school getting their mba and racking up debt.

For MANY people, continuing school is an avoidance behavior. Yes, there are some jobs where it is vital, like Lawyer or Medical Doctor, but for any other area of study I strongly question it. Even engineering and hard sciences, though they can possibly see some benefits.

I agree to a certain extent. If you're not very money-oriented, then the working world can seem pretty boring in comparison to school. Many jobs don't care to challenge employees or give them the autonomy to challenge themselves. Some jobs lack a social element or seem easy after the first few months. This leads to job dissatisfaction and people moving back to their comfort zone, which is the classroom.

Fact is, there are many very smart and dedicated people who are just terrible at making money. I think the reasoning here is that if you go to school long enough, you should be able to find a job that will work around your needs, rather than the other way around.

If employers are throwing these people's resumes away, it's not really helping the problem either. If you get a MA or M.Sc and aren't getting job offers that allow you to pay off your student debt, then those employers are really giving the middle finger to the system and contributing to a social problem.