• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do I feel absolutely nothing from nutmeg?

What you need to do is go to your supermarket or healthstore and buy the whole nutmegs not the pre ground. Then crash them up. You can eat them in little chunks and swallow them or grind it down and maybe put it in a milkshake to get rid of the putrid taste.

** but make sure you have 2 days atleast of not needing to do anything**
the high takes ages to come on 4hours or so if i remember. Then you will be in a really stoned state (higher then smoking weed) for ages. But with alot nausea aswell so you may be grounded to your bed so you dont feel sick.

People can be REALLY shitty in certain forums on this site, so just ignore it. As for your question, it may be that you didn't take enough, that the nutmeg was old/degraded, poor quality stuff, or any number of things like that. Maybe it just takes a couple tries to feel it, which has always been the case when I try a new drug. Maybe you don't know what to expect from a nutmeg "high" and just weren't feeling whatever it was doing, in which case I'd suggest further research on its effects, dangers, pros and cons, because like everyone said, nutmeg isn't the safest, most pleasant drug in the world.

Holy crap you took 7 mother fucking tablespoons? Even if it did nothing that is still terrible for your liver. You need to get fresh stuff mccormick and other brand names won't work because they are old.

I don't get the hate on yeah nutmeg is a shitty drug but it is a legitimate drug whether you personally like it or not, this is supposed to be a harm reduction site not a place to dick size about how you can get better drugs than others. People should be free to ask questions without getting dogpiled.

Don't listen to the people telling you to take more though you should only need about 3 heaping tablespoons and I would start out with no more than two. Good luck man.

ive found nutmeg to be very enjoyable but there is only one palatable way to do so
tea is no good extract the oils from the nut with steam distillation

never do pre ground shit go to your local market and or ethnobotanical vendor and buy fresh nutmegs when you crush them there is and oil seeping out of the remnants extract this by steam distillation you can find directions on how to do this in your kitchen with a pot with a lid and a cup on a very low heat the alks are very volatile filter through a cloth never do more than 20g of nutmeg at a time 30 can kill you! never do it often either it can cause liver problems
take milk thistle to recover space out use for a few months

Get some real drugs in ya - ones that you can pay for AND feel something off.

Myristicin is my favorite legal high. Skip the pre-ground stuff and stick with using fresh, whole nutmeg! which is reputed to be more potent. One or two whole nuts is usually enough for me. Very few people enjoy the effects, I believe that it works differently for everyone.

Sorry for answering to a very old thread but in my experience nutmeg has been hit or miss. I've tried that tasty holiday spice many times. One time I ate a whole entire jar of it and didn't feel anything. There had to have been at least 8 tablespoons worth. Other times I've gone to my health food store and bought freshly ground nutmeg and tried different amounts of that. 2-3 properly measured tablespoons got me pretty buzzed but not very stoned. One time I took 5 properly measured tablespoons and got baked out of my mind and it lasted a good 16+ hrs. Felt burned out the next day. Was never really as good as weed though. If I had taken maybe 8-10 fully measured tablespoons that would've been a hell of an experience. Taking that much would've wrecked my liver tho so I didn't mess around with high doses that much. Five spoons was the most I took. I thought nutmeg was fun but not for everyone.

Ug. I hate when someone posts a simple question asking for a simple answer and everyone just says don't do it your dumb try a different drug. Bluelight is meant for unbias information about drugs without ridicule, and as it says in their mission statement they do not "condone or condemn drug use". It's ok to recommend against nutmeg use, but don't be condesending about it and actually answer the question too.
Regarding your question, most brands of ground nutmeg are proccessed and don't contain the active drug myristicin. To use nutmeg, you have to buy whole, natural nutmegs (like the actual plant) and grind them up yourself. The easiest way to get high off nutmeg/myristicin is to buy myristicin in an essential oil (legal). I'm pretty sure its 80% pure myristicin. I'm not sure of the proper dose, so youll have to look that up yourself.

I've had numerous experiences with nutmeg, and recently have been working on a long document where I wrote about several of my nutmeg experiences, mostly in conjunction w/ other substances. I'm going to copy-paste it here, as I feel it's relevant to this thread:

. . . it was around this period of time when I started experimenting with nutmeg.

(NOTE: From a Harm Reduction standpoint, what I did with nutmeg was a BAD BAD idea, particularly with how much and how often I combined it with DXM. Nutmeg is a mild MAO inhibitor whose psychoactive effects are heavy on deliriant qualities; most people experience a horrendous body load and intense sickness after trying nutmeg, which has put off many-a-druggie in a search for an OTC high; it is also notoriously poor on the liver, amongst other things. I include my experiences here for posterity’s sake.)

One person I knew . . . loved nutmeg, swore by it, though then again they were the kind of person that stops liking a band once they get mainstream attention. I always did research on any new drug before I tried it, but if it wasn’t for one or two people on the [online drug forum] talking about how fucking awesome their nutmeg + DXM trips were, I probably would not have attempted such a venture. I’m not blaming it on anyone except myself, but I do need to be honest about my thought process inre: drugs and combinations of drugs; for as much as people on the [online drug forum] helped me, the flip side of the coin was that it made it easy to want to do drugs and to find a reason to do said drugs. Harm Reduction has its downsides, especially in this group of people.

I never liked nutmeg on its own, and I tried it by itself once or twice, trying to glean the positive effects I’d read about from certain experience reports. The vast majority of things I’d read about nutmeg painted it as a singularly uncomfortable, unpleasant ride—except for a clear minority who apparently really enjoyed it. Those who enjoyed it swore by it, touted its hypnotic and empathogenic qualities, talked about how damn nice it felt to be stoned for several days, and not just stoned but relaxed as hell. Nutmeg’s range of effects extend far beyond the first day into day two and three, though the first 7-12 hours are where the main hypnagogic, otherworldly sensations occur (if they are going to occur, that is; quite a few people experience nothing but sickness from nutmeg).

At first I got nothing from nutmeg, nothing at all. I upped my dose and still got nothing beyond feeling just a little stoned, a sensation that was hard to tell apart from my daily weed habit. Disappointed, I was about to give up on nutmeg until I remembered one or two people reporting on the [online drug forum] having success mixing nutmeg with DXM. Not many illustrated the potential dangers, and I was victim of a nonevent feedback loop—if one person didn’t get hurt from the experience, then it stands to believe I won’t get hurt, right? Dangerous thinking.

I have a hard time recalling specific trips with nutmeg + DXM, only general feelings and sensations. I convinced myself that I had to take an inordinate amount of nutmeg just to achieve noticeable effects; a reasonable nutmeg dose for psychoactive effects would be something like 15-20 g on the low end (approx. 3-4 nuts), but I worked my way up to 8-10 nuts per dose, sometimes more, which was something like 50 g—and this was in combination with a high DXM dose. God knows how my liver survived, amongst other things.

Anyway, I would smash up several nuts in a baggie with a hammer and choke them down three/four hours before I dosed the DXM. The nausea would usually be hitting me hardcore before I even downed the cough syrup products, but once I did that (and smoked some weed) it was off to the races. In my computer’s saved files I had accumulated a handful of guided meditation tracks, not to mention one brainwave generator simulation that really did the trick for inspiring deep psychonautical mindstates (not to mention kickass CEV’s) while on upper-tier DXM trips. Guided meditation was also very useful on DXM, in particular learning the fine art of visualizing a ball of light that systematically opened up my chakras—and don’t get the idea that I’m a practitioner of new-age mumbo jumbo; meditation is useful in sober contexts as well as intoxicated, provided you keep a clear head that doesn’t subscribe to any one set of beliefs for too long.

The guided meditation tracks became something special on the nutmeg + DXM combination. Once both drugs peaked (which was ~ 6-7 hour mark for nutmeg, ~ 3 hour mark for DXM), this was prime time to attempt some chakra exercises. Nutmeg shaded a DXM trip with hazy, earth-like overtones, almost as if everything was colored with a fine glaze of translucent desert sand. Night hues became mirage-like and coated with dream residue.

But for as pronounced as the visual effects were with this combination, it was the hypnotic headspace which seemed truly special. The guided meditation exercises always culminated with a surge of energy pushed through the chakra of your choice, the one you felt the most strongly (mine was the third eye); that ball of light that started above your head gets shot like a canon through the open chakra, and with it goes your consciousness into a beautiful timeless void of pure energy. Ostensibly, at least, as I had trouble creating that final release through my third eye chakra on just DXM alone.

Adding nutmeg into the mix, however, and this guided meditation exercise became an exercise in pure concentrated bliss and sensation. Visualizing the ball of light descending through my body and opening each chakra became something effortless, and projecting my consciousness through a powerful current than ran through my third eye became something that was equally effortless. It was beautiful, being able to create an out-of-body-experience of that magnitude. This combination, for as unhealthy as it was, became a personal favorite of mine.

[POST-SCRIPT: DO NOT COMBINE NUTMEG AND DXM, it is categorically dangerous for reasons hopefully I've made clear. I only include this excerpt to show that some people do get positive effects from nutmeg, that it has been known to happen. I've combined nutmeg with LSD before to good effect, though I don't recommend this combination either. Tread safely, start low, know your limits etc. et al]

A really really old thread but, ew, nutmeg.

Gah I can't stand a deliriant of any form.

Nutmeg is partially comprised of, what we assume to be the 'main psychoactive component', Myristicin.
It's known to cause headaches, dry mouth, nausea... convulsions, dehydration, palpitations... massive delirium. If you like this, good on you.

It can induce psychosis, among these other symptoms, for days

It's also a particularly effective neurotoxin to dogs! So aha! :p

Stay safe. I can only see someone getting sick from this.

I get that people seek out various kinds of experiences, and that we don't always have money or any kind of worthwhile drug, but why anyone would want to wind up thinking bugs are crawling all over them and things like that is truly beyond me.

It's not like a psych where this might be part of a learning experience of sorts. It's just delirium.

It's like wanting to try malaria or something. There's no gain. It's just unpleasant.

As this was briefly mentioned in PIKHAL, one would need to eat atleast five grams to equal a fair dosage of mdea. .something along these lines..

I can't believe how old this thread is and my old reply to it... still feel the same way. Nutmeg is a psychoactive drug just not a very good one. There is no way i would do it now at my age though. It is a young mans game. Even then it was kind of shit because I spent a lot of time puking sand paper into the toilet...

however the timeless feeling I felt from it is unequal I still cannot describe it very well. That night felt like hundreds of years compacted into one.