• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can I use a betablocker on the comedown from amphetamines?

etcetera

Greenlighter
Hey, I happen to have propranolol, and am coming down from amp.

Wikipedia says that during overdose, you should use a betablocker, because it leaves the alpha-adrenergic system unopposed.

In a non-overdose case - I had maybe 60mg over the course of five hours maybe six or seven hours ago - will a beta blocker have the HR / BP calming effects I want? Or will it just leave me dangerously amped?

^ Calm down..

I have also read that beta blockers can be used in the case of amphetamine psychosis on some health website.. so i guess it should be ok?

But! Then people on here have said that betablockers + amphetamine COULD lead to problems with your cardiosystem due to its somethin somethin.. sorry.. but i dunno.. ask in ADD?

me and my GF take clonidine for the come down, (and sometimes during to steady our hand for activies where you cant be twitching like a tweaker, like eating in front of people or playing pool, ect)

But its an A agonist, not a B antagonist, not sure how the subtle difference in effects would be.

I've done it with propanolol a few times, but dont really remember how it went...it diddnt kill me obviously, but I have no idea if its a good idea, or how well it worked.

I think Beta Blockers are a great way to take the edge off of uppers and to bring yourself down so you can eventually sleep. If you ask me, they are safer to combine with Amphetamine or Cocaine than Benzos, which is what most people use for this purpose, including myself.

I take Atenolol for Hypertension, and I find it does wonders for "coming down" off "drugs."

benzos work way better for this purpose, i have tried atenolol and the shit sucks sorry i guess it doesnt work for me, cant say the same for anyone else.

Morphonorconic: Propanolol is contraindicated with cocaine usage.

Betablockers should be fine to use with amphetamines, a google search shows it's use mentioned on a couple of sites for amphetamine intoxication and also quite a few interesting studies about it's use on animals that were given amphetamine.

beta blockers are good for your come down I used to use beta blockers during cocaine come down

Morphonorconic: Propanolol is contraindicated with cocaine usage.

Yes, but so are Benzodiazepines, which, IMO, are the gold standard of "come-down" type drugs. Don't really know much about Propranolol; my girlfriend takes it before piano performances, as Beta Blockers are often given to combat symptoms of stagefright.

why are benzos contraindicated with stimulants? You will probably get a benzo shot if you get into an ER agitated and you definitely will if you arrive there having convulsions due to stimulant use. I know that you probably won't ever get a benzo prescription along with a stimulant prescription, but that's not because of dangerous interactions.

Benzos are contraindicated with Stimulants due to the fact they are a CNS depressant, therefore you are in effect creating a "speedball" type of intoxication when the two are mixed, which can be quite stressful on the heart, and can be very dangerous when mixed in high amounts. Perhaps not a textbook contraindication, but nonetheless, that to me indicates that the user should be cautious of possible adverse effects.

Using an oral beta-blocker after/during meth/amphetamine use is ok.
It may help alleviate some associated anxiety, and it may help to lower an elevated BP, both of which are common during use.

There are no contra-indications for beta-blocker use during meth/amphetamines, as far as I know.
A review of medical literature finds no contraindications, or cautions, regarding beta blockers and amphs.

Benzos are not "contraindicated" for stimulants.
They are often the front-line treatment for stimulant OD, or treatment of side-effects of stimulant use (ie seizures).

The concerns of doing a speedball are well known, but has nothing to do with benzo use to treat the excessive stimulant effects of amphetamine/meth/cocaine.
One is a standard medical treatment, one is dangerous drug use.

Side note, using beta-blockers with cocaine is not recommended, and can be rather bad. Lengthy medical reason, bottom line is it makes a bad situation worse.
Using nitrates (ie nitroglycerin) would be safer to lower a high bp secondary to cocaine use, and is the recommended treatment.

Bottom line: if you're trying to come down from stimulants of any sort, benzos are the pharm of choice in the medical literature.
Beta blockers are used to treat medical effects of the stims, but do have some effect on anxiety.
Curiously, the dosage for treating anxiety with a beta-blocker is much less than the dosage for treating the cardiovascular effects.

Be Safe!!!

I don't understand why everyone disagrees with what I'm saying. Any Doctor will tell you not to mix uppers and downers recreationally. I'm not saying there is not a time or place for the combination of Stims and Benzos, like and OD situation for example. Just that if you are planning on mixing the two, especially in higher amounts, please be careful.

I'm fairly new here ... but thought I'd put my 2 cents in:

I've been on Toprol (beta blocker) for 5 years now ... for rapid & irregular heart beat. It also lowers my high blood pressure. I also have Xanax, which I rarely take for sleep.

I've been taking Darvocet N 100 (mild, I know) for pain of Fibromyalgia, deteriation of spine and lots more .. but I only take it occasionally, like maybe once or twice a week, when the pain is high.

What I wanted to share is, if I take the Darvocet every day, once a day ... sometimes twice a day, for 1 week straight, I notice that when I stop taking it ... after a few days off, my heart throws out many more pvc's and pac's than usual. One time it went crazy for an hour straight, NOT fun.

If I start taking the Darvocet again, my heart is fine. I find this very strange, but also telling, because there must be something connected there.

why does everyone think that mixing benzos and stims are bad for your heart??

the bottom line is that the stims are the only thing bad for your heart if anyone as forgotten.

the only thing benzos will do is lower your blood pressure and your heart rate.

would all the above advice be good if only perscribed amounts of dexamphetamine are used? and can it be repeated on a daily basis without any major side effects?

Benzos are contraindicated with Stimulants due to the fact they are a CNS depressant, therefore you are in effect creating a "speedball" type of intoxication when the two are mixed, which can be quite stressful on the heart, and can be very dangerous when mixed in high amounts. Perhaps not a textbook contraindication, but nonetheless, that to me indicates that the user should be cautious of possible adverse effects.

Right so the amp is speeding up your heart, it's going at 200bpm, you take a benzo and the heart rate comes down to 120. How exactly is that more and not less strain on the heart?

You can't use them, will increase your blood pressure even further. This is because the blocking of just the beta receptors, leaves unopposed alpha. Chlorpromazine seems to work well to repel certain side effects.

TBH, the best to use is a benodiazapine such as diazepam. They tend to be given to patients at a risk of convulsions, and it will help came the anxiety and restlessness.

This is over a year late but morphonorconic beta blockers are contraindicated with cocaine because of dangerous epinephrine related effects, not because of the speed-ball effect.