• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can I use a betablocker on the comedown from amphetamines?

A bit late, aren't you Mr. B?;) Actually, I have no problem admitting that I did not know that(and looking back at this thread, I would not continue my argument as I had).

It's amazing how much invaluable knowledge I've gained from BL. Thanks Bluelight!%)

As previously stated, benzodiazepines are a great class of drugs to use for amphetamine comedowns.

I think antihistamines would be a good second choice as well.

1. benzos (lorazepam being my first choice, its also most Emergency Department's first choice for amphetamine/psychedelic overdose/panic reaction)
2. antihistamines (diphenhydramine is nice, but promethazine stops dexedrine right in its tracks, at least for me)
3. antipsychotics....Seroquel is useful for something after all
4. beta-blockers

And somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the term "speedball" reserved for opiates and stimulants? Seeing has how both opiates and amphetamines, cocaine, etc, both increase dopamine...isn't that where the real danger is?

Benzos on the other hand.....

Hey, so now I'm wondering: Considering I take 100mg of Atenolol every evening- If I were to get lucky and find some shitty northwestern US cocaine, would I want to skip my daily dose of Atenolol? Or maybe I would ideally want to take it early in the day before using? Just curious, not like I'll ever find any fucking cocaine in this peice of shit town, but I figured I'd ask anyhow.

^ It has a half-life of six to seven hours and the peak effects are probably well over by the night time so I'd hazard a guess that it would be OK, but to be safe you would probably skip the dose. :)

Right on, thanks. I was thinking I'd probably be best off just skipping it for that day as well. That is, if that situation were to ever "hypothetically" present itself.=D

I was under the impression if you skip doses of beta blockers, you get rebound hypertension... That plus cocaine-induced hypertension would be rather unpleasant I'd imagine.

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been addressed.

^ Damn I didn't even think of that... but I guess it depends what he is taking them for? If he is taking them for anxiety and not hypertension then the rebound would not be so bad would it? Still sounds like it could be dangerous, good catch C2thel. :D

I was under the impression if you skip doses of beta blockers, you get rebound hypertension... That plus cocaine-induced hypertension would be rather unpleasant I'd imagine.

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been addressed.

I've definitely noticed that if I miss a dose, I can sense that my blood pressure is higher than it should be the following day. I also tend to feel pretty anxious as well, both of which I agree are more or less rebound effects from a deficit of the Beta Blocker.

I take the Atenolol for hypertension, though my doctor is aware that I teach music and occasionally perform, activities where Beta Blockers can be extremely helpful for countering that flood of adrenaline that comes with stagefright and such.

^ I was prescribed propanolol for performance anxiety as well, however I am not allowed to take them now as I am on ziprasidone for a psychotic episode I had recently.

Probably a good idea not to skip a dose to use coke then, maybe stay away from the non-existent cocaine period. :)

I was just going to say that unless ya'll plan on mailing me some fishscale or something, I don't think it will be an issue.

^ Oh, for you morphonorconic I would but our Customs here is very, very good at their job. ;)

I understand, as are ours. It is very nice of you to have considered it, just for me.=D (It's alright though; I think I can talk Cane2theL into it...he lives a lot closer)

opiates = respiratory depression = less oxygen to the heart
cocaine/amphetamines etc = faster heart rate = the heart requires more oxygen

By taking opiates/stimulants together you are starving the heart of precious oxygen because of slower/more shallow breathing - this is at a time when the heart actually requires additional oxygen because of the stimulants causing an increase in HR. This combination greatly increases the risk of a heart attack. BE AWARE.

DON'T use beta blockers to come down from stimulants which work on the alpha adrenergic system (eg cocaine, amphet), it will dangerously increase an already high blood pressure due to unopposed alpha receptor activation. Listen and take heed.

The safest come down remedy is probably a benzo, but remember even these can cause respiratory depression just like alcohol if you over do it.