• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Propylhexedrine (Benzedrex inhaler) - First Time - The Effort of Infinite Typing

Cface

Bluelighter
The Report!
Prepare for run-on sentences!

First off i'd like to say that i've got a fair bit of experience with Concerta/Ritalin, Methamphetamines (both smoked and snorted), and Cocaine. I'm a 18 year old male, 5'10" in height, and around 130lbs. Mentally, I've got ADD, OCD, and Social Anxiety Disorder. I'll try my best to compare Propylhexedrine to the various stimulants i'm experienced with. Also, i'm writing this report while on Propylhexedrine.

Well i took some Propylhexedrine today. I parachuted a 1/4th of a cotton rod (and part of the cotton rod was oxidated/brown, didn't eat that). Also took two multi-vitamins. Started feeling some serious concentration levels go up, energy is different from meth as far as i can see as, it's very mental. It reminds me more of Concerta/Ritalin as it doesn't make me talkative like on amphetamines but it doesn't make me as physically lazy as with Concerta. I managed to clean my apartment in 20 minutes. I also soaked the remaining three parts of the cotton rod in water and sipped a bit (once, never redosed afterwards) and drank some Sprite. I got some mild stomach discomfort from parachuting the first 1/4th cotton rod. And like amps or coke i got the runs from taking the stuff (all uppers make me shit a lot).

Something that the someone said i gotta agree with is the weird peripherals, a sort of pseudo-DXM-like vision. More irritating than anything as i keep feeling like i'm gonna trip for some reason. Some tracer-like effects when looking at the monitor for more than 5 minutes at a time, sort of image from borders/etc that linger in your eyesight when you look away, i think looking at the monitor too long is also attributing to the dxm-like vision... yeah i'd definitely say so. It also seems to have a very mild dissociative feel to it at the dose i've taken. And I wouldn't at all compare Propylhexedrine to cocaine.

Physically, i'm breathing great, like on meth. My arms and legs are subtly tingling, which is probably what's giving me that relaxed feeling similar to meth (i get relaxed from smoking meth for a few minutes after smoking, it's like a meth-stoned). Twitching in muscles is effecting me a bit, but nothing too bad. Cotton-mouth is a bitch, but i'm also dipping tobacco. Tingling keeps coming and going in intensity, never completely leaving which is nice. I'm not jittery at all. Stomach discomfort is gone after using bathroom and i only briefly was burping. The back of my neck aches a bit. UPDATE: The neck ache has spread to my shoulders and middle of my back. It's beginning to really piss me off!

Mentally, i'm very alert and relaxed. I'm quite focused and intent on the task at hand. The only irritating thing i'm finding with this drug is the vision. At first it can be a bit frightening, expecting an amphetamine-effect and getting this odd visual effect. But i can safely say, so far, that there's no actual hallucinating going on. I would hate to of taken this drug at any higher dose and don't plan on re-dosing today or tomorrow. I'm at a pretty decent level.

All in all i'd say it's a pretty good stimulating drug, especially considering its OTC. I don't think i'd use it socially as it doesn't help talkativeness (IMO it brings it down to nil), i wouldn't consider it for raves or dancing either, the physical energy just isn't in the right place. I'd recommend this drug for studying, getting a few house chores done, and anything requiring mental straining (ha, i'm lazy). One thing i'd like to note is that this would never replace methamphetamines. The physical energy (And euphoria) is just not there, i find it hard to believe that you'll feel "tweaked" on this drug. The high is too different.

Some Tips!

Seeing as how i'm still pretty focused i think i'll copy Lady_Codone and give some tips!

- Something you might want to remember when taking this drug, as Lady_Codone as said, is that this is a pretty strong vasoconstrictor. Taking any other stimulants with it can cause some bad blood pressure problems (i.e. fainting or dizziness).

- Try to stay safe. Start at a low-dose with Propylhexedrine. And if you plan on poly-drug using with it, be sure to low-dose with all the drugs you combine with it, including Propylhexedrine itself. One inhaler contains 250mg of Propylhexedrine, that's a quarter-gram of "pseudo-speed." If your tolerance for the drug isn't up dont start that high!

- Stimulants trick your brain. Remember to take a couple multi-vitamins before you take Propylhexedrine, and eat something. It can make your high and comedown a great deal more pleasant. Don't forget water or gatorade!

- Propylhexedrine is known to have a cross-tolerance with amphetamines. So if youre a regular user of amps, expect your high with this OTC drug to be hampered down.

- Have some god damn fun!

I hope my report has given some insight to the effects of Propylhexedrine and other experimenters will be a little more well-equipped.

Last edited:
^^Heh it's a feeling you really miss.

My opinion of Propylhexedrine is really going down the toilet fast. I'm starting to burp more often, i feel like i could actually sleep on this drug, and, most annoyingly, the stiffness and ache in the back of my neck has spread to my shoulders and back. It's all very stiff and sore. I tried some stretching, ate a banana & apple, and drank some water. Nothings helping. I'm also getting a bit of a headache when i stand up and move around. Also, when i dip now my gums hurt.

This drug is losing its appeal pretty quickly...

Thanks for citing me in your report, C! Hope your experience was a good one.

I recently tried propyl a second time and had lots of fun, but noticed more side effects this time, things like slight lightheadedness and burning pee, but nothing that didn't pass in a few minutes. I tend to have recurring UTIs, and both poppy tea and Benzedrex seem to irritate my kidneys, so I've gotta stay moderate. Propyl once a month, poppies once a week. :)

When i dosed i never got the "trip vision" i only experienced a much brighter vision and lights seemed annoying. this always went away after 10 minutes.

I have dosed 1/2 which was intense and my second time i dosed 1/4 which was PERFECT. no "buzz" like with the 1/2 cotton but the concentration and focus is 100% present.

Dry mouth is SUCH a bitch.....

propylhexadrine im?

i have read other posts other places about propylhexadrine iv use, including ho to extract it from the cottom, but i wa wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use it im, like you can with most optiates. i'm wondering cause i know cocaine cannot under any circumstances be used iv, but i don't know about any other stimulants.

I didn't know that this was OTC, so I may have to give it a try. Although I do wish I would've been alive during the time of Benzedrine inhalers..... :(

I bought one yesterday because i was gonna take it for work but i got adderall instead i think I'm going to try it later on. Should i take 1/4, 1/2 or the whole thing, any tips?

Something that the someone said i gotta agree with is the weird peripherals, a sort of pseudo-DXM-like vision.

Can anyone 'round here hypothesize the underlying physiological implementation? I'm pretty fond of it. Add cannabis and nitrous, and you have a show-stopper (and a glimpse of true ontology ;)).
public service announcements: do not eat cotton lest you wish to endure impacted intestines. Extractions are EASY (lemon juice, cola, coffee, etc.).
When compelled to re-dose, please remember that the peripheral effects (and thus toxicity) will likely last far longer than central effects.
I wouldn't EVER start with more than 1/2 an inhaler, even with acquired stimulant tolerance...

i'm wondering cause i know cocaine cannot under any circumstances be used iv, but i don't know about any other stimulants.
cocaine can definitely be IV'ed. It makes you go: 8o then a few minutes later :! I need more coke!!! Actually in my opinion cocaine is best used IV with heroin.

Yeah I second wishing I was around for Benzedrine inhalers. When my mom found my vicks inhaler (for mdma) she asked if I was doing "bennys" and I had no idea wtf a "benny" was until recently. But good trip report, I appreciate people doing drugs like this so I don't have to test it out myself.

I've tried this drug a few times and have had good results. I've never eaten the straight cotton but I have done an extraction using water and hcl. Felt good.

I've done this 3 times, always with 1 rod. I've never eaten the rod, I just put it in a glass of orange juice for an hour or so, give it a few good squeezes, and drink the juice. First 2 times were pretty cool, wouldn't have minded trying a bigger dose if the things didn't cost so much at Walgreens. The speediness feels most like ritalin to me, but my mood is so much better on this. I get grumpy on ritalin, but this stuff actually makes me pretty happy. Not a strong euphoria, but a general happiness.

Third time I tried it I got a rod that was almost dried up :( still soaked it in oj and got slight effects though.

I wish WalMart sold it around here, Walgreens is so expensive for stuff like that.

this stuff was brilliant. i would love to get some in pureform, i enjoy it more than adderall.

does anyone know what the half life is on this stuff? how accurate is the listed mg?
I've done it twice. First time, i had one rod's worth, and i was flying. second time, 4 full days later, two rods worth, and hardly anything except turtle dick. haven't done it since.

I WILL NEVER TOUCH PROPYLHEXEDRINE AGAIN.
I did 500mg (2 cotton balls) in lemon juice. (good high)
then like 6-8 hours later I was like fuck it and took 4 cotton balls (1000mg)
heartrate was like 165 and I had massive heart palpitions./
Heavy vivid auditory and visual halucinations and also "meth monsters" running at me.
they said I nearly died in the ER.

I've done prop a few times and overall, I enjoy it. It certainly isn't comparable to amphets imo but still a very good high. One thing I noticed when I took it with adderall after being up for about 30 hours is I was highly paranoid and began hearing things.. kind of like a banging noise. Other than that, it's awesome as long as you eat before taking it and do not swallow the cotton. Lemon juice extraction is the best way to go.

I WILL NEVER TOUCH PROPYLHEXEDRINE AGAIN.
I did 500mg (2 cotton balls) in lemon juice. (good high)
then like 6-8 hours later I was like fuck it and took 4 cotton balls (1000mg)
heartrate was like 165 and I had massive heart palpitions./
Heavy vivid auditory and visual halucinations and also "meth monsters" running at me.
they said I nearly died in the ER.
That's a massive, foolhardy dose

question on propylhexedrine, My last dose (1000mg) on wendsday morning and its 6:50pm thursday. I am not planning on 1000mg, instead just 125mg for a safe dose. My resting heartrate seems very high for normal and its been 36 hours. I Read from another overdose it takes 5 days to recover? ANY info on halfe-life? I dont want heart palpitations again.

Devon said:
i have read other posts other places about propylhexadrine iv use, including ho to extract it from the cottom, but i wa wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use it im, like you can with most optiates. i'm wondering cause i know cocaine cannot under any circumstances be used iv, but i don't know about any other stimulants.
I know this is a question from 2009, but I thought I'd post since anybody else sees this and has a similar idea. Propylhexadrine is a pretty vicious vasoconstrictor that's been shown to destroy the ear tissue of rabbits when injected and has also been reported by neurologists to cause brain stem transcription errors in chonic IV users. Neurotoxically, it's likely to be as bad or worse than meth (alt. name is hexahydromethamphetamine), with higher doses of course being worse. It's a once a season drug for me and I recommend adopting a similar frequency or lower to any who are thinking about using it.

The above post is really good information to know! Thank you, I will be limiting my already rare use of this substance accordingly.

^Glad to know! I'm not sure where I'm remembering that from, but here's an abstract I found after a quick search that's related:
In 1949, amphetamine sulfate was replaced by propylhexedrine in the nasal decongestant agent Benzedrex because of psychosis, sudden death, and widespread abuse. Propylhexedrine is not without risks, and reported cases of psychosis, myocardial infarction, pulmonary vascular disease and pulmonary hypertension, and sudden death are well documented in the medical literature. We are reporting 2 cases of definite brainstem dysfunction and 5 cases of transient diplopia secondary to IV abuse of Benzedrex. This widely abused drug is prepared by heating Benzedrex and hydrochloric acid, and the resulting crystals are dissolved in water for injection. This agent is called "stove-top speed". All 7 patients had transient diplopia, within seconds after injection. One patient had evidence of a right-internuclear ophthalmoplegia, and another had a depressed right gag reflex and paralysis of the right half of the tongue. The deficits in these two patients, persisted for many months. In young adults with history of drug abuse, the IV use of Benzedrex should be considered in the differential diagnosis of transient or permanent focal brainstem deficits.
source

Smoking an extract from the inhalers could conceivably cause similar problems, since vaporizing is effectively just another way of reaching high plasma concentrations of propylhexadrine quickly.