• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Headaches while on heroin or shortly after?

I agree with the past three posts regarding eye sensitivity causing headaches on or after opiates. It happens to me too, albeit not very often... For anyone having this same issue with the eyes, I suggest closing them and rubbing them gently... Works like a charm for me!

Odd reactions

I'm not sure if my reply will still be useful to you, but yes I've experienced something like what you are describing a few times. Apparently you will get this sort of reaction if you inject opium, as the body can't deal with the oils. At least this is what I've heard.

(I had been using black tar and Mexican brown those times, I don't know if Philly heroin can even be cut with opium, but of course it could be some other adulterant.)

The experience was so unsettling that from that point on I was *very* careful to only inject the smallest of amounts first so I could gauge the effects before shooting the full load. It felt like having been poisoned.

I hope you made it through okay.

To put it simply, it's from the flooding of your opiate receptors. Once you use , your receptors grow. Even after years of not using you still have these receptors they just shrink. You are just over stimulating the receptors. Moderate your use in the beginning until your receptors are used to it again. Won't take half as long to wake them up again ;)

^No offense man - but I don't think the flooding of receptors could cause pain. The brain is already a nerve-less organ, which is why open-brain surgery while the patient is awake, can take place.

If I remember correctly, opiates in general RAISE your intracranial pressure. That is why they are contraindicated in cases of severe head trauma. Some cause it more than others.. Perhaps you have an already "tight" situation going on up there, due to constant vasodilation or something? That could be from a lot of drinking, and the subsequent hangover.. or use of stimulants can cause it, too...

But this was your first time in a long time.. it could be many reasons.. You may want to put aside any more of those particular stamps, and try different ones, if you want to see about it being the specific cut/something in the original stamp.

IME opiates like heroin and morphine, even codeine can cause a lot of nasty symptoms as soon as you come down from them. I think this is due to them being raw chemicals. There is a reason they make drugs like Oxycontin as opposed to prescribing everyone true opiates.

Even when I used to snort MS contin pills I would get horrible headaches and discomfort the day after using, and this was before I had a habit that would put me into W/D.

i say lack of oxygen to the brain. this has happened to me a few times when i do a bigger shot than usual or of the dope i get is really good. a few weeks ago, i did my shot & woke up a few hours later face first on the ground with the worst headache imaginable, it lasted for two days afterwards & i'm sure it was because technically i o.d.ed & my brain was deprived of oxygen for a while. if you're getting intense throbbing headaches & throwing up, i'd say that's why.

i don't think your symptoms are uncommon. it's not unusual to puke afterwords, especially after an abstinent period or for first timers. i get pretty bad headaches after i come down sometimes, too. i

SWIM had this happen to him and the headache was a really bad throbbing pain. He injected maybe 30 minutes prior to getting the headache. SWIM tried to lay down to sleep but the pain kept him awake, after 5-10 minutes he got up and walked around. He puked a few minutes after he started walking around and continued to walk around for another 3 minutes and the headache went away. He went for a mile walk in 40°F and when he came back in he had a shot of vodka, the high feeling started to come back and he felt fine again. :D

Guys a bit of a seemingly silly but serious question. My initial reaction to a headache or pain on heroin would be fear since I would assume if i had one on such a strong painkiller, it must be serious? I know thats not the case but could I ask why or how the common causes of this bypass the pain killing effect? Just wondered...

are you prone to migraines? maybe you had one coming on and it fully manifested after you did your dope, just a coincidence? also narcotics arent generally used to relieve migraines for the exact reason another posted above said, and its due to rebound headaches from the narcotic. if you get migraines, the best abortive method i have found is a triptan drug (immitrex, zomig, maxalt, relpax) they actually target the specific serotonin receptors that are causing the headache, one of those and a few valium to K.O yourself and you will wake up great. I wouldnt mix the valium if you are doing heroin, but triptans are safe to take with opiates/oids.

or it could have just been from doing too much. sometimes id get just a regular tension type headache from snorting too much, even IVing would do it, like I wore my body out or something.

also since its going up your nose, dont rule out a sinus headache from something it cuold have been cut with. if the pain is behind your eye(s) its most likely a migraine, anywhere else it could be a sinus headache, tension/stress headache, tmj, and so on.

I got a batch of dope that only lasted like an hour, gave me a serious migraine and nausea a couple hours afterwards. I suspected fentanyl, which was confirmed by a quick cup I took a couple hours later. you could have the same thing, or it could just be a nasty cut. drink some water and avoid bright lights. avoid that particular batch.

Well, I can tell you precisely what causes them and what doesnt. And a good natural remedy for it as well. I smoke my harry (brown) and in my country we only get the purest of the stuff since we do border the Afghans. So it is not the cut. And it is not cotton fever. And today I used some, hardly anything much after 6 months and got the headache after about 3 hours. So it is also not regular use. However, what it is is a combination of dehydration, over stimulation of receptors, light and noise and blood pressure build up in the brain. When you are regularly on smack you tend to live in a state of dehydration and dont notice how badly you need water. So when you get the headaches it comes as a shock. Also, with fairly regular use, whether it was years ago or currently, the opiate receptors in the brain grow and it is easy to over stimulate them even after years of a clean patch. They dont go away but just become inactive. Light and noise are not main factors but contribute, such as using a laptop, listening to heavy music, reading a book which is straining. And please note that heroin does not cure headaches. It is a painkiller for the entire body neck down. Blood pressure usually builds up with heroin use as you warm up for the dope. And so, to counter this hellish pain here is what i do, and it works. But might take an hour or a bit more to get back to normal.
Firstly, before during and after use drink A LOT OF WATER. ALOTTTTTTT!! like ALOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT of it. The internal heat heroin provides exhausts the water in the body, almost as fast as you can drink a stable flow. So drink a liter of water before use and about two more during the next few hours.
Secondly, Dont try to cure this headache with more harry. You will seriously regret it when youre in bed unable to move without screaming.
Thirdly, avoid bright lights and loud noises and try not to use the laptop excessively or to read a small font. The strain on the eyes can really be a contributing factor.
And lastly, try to counter the pressure on the brain vessels with some aspirin which also is good for headaches in itself. I take a regular does of aspirin with 500mgs of paracetamol when i start to feel the headache coming on. Then i go to my bed and lie down for an hour while i keep sipping water. A VERY VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE IS to breath deeply. Heroin causes respiratory depression and not enough oxygen is getting the body with your doped breathing pattern. I like to breath in through the mouth and out the nose. After an hour it is 80 percent better. Follow this with a cup of tea or coffee for a caffeine boost to feel absolutely normal again.

I know this is a lot to do and can ruin the buzz, but it's like getting a blow job compared to the headaches we get. Once again I would like to stress on drinking as much water as possible and taking long breathes. Even when your stomach is full of water and you can hear it swirling around, you will notice dried lips or a parched mouth. Thats how much heroin can dehydrate... And the leading cause of headaches along with the best cure for it is said to be water shortage and hydration. Oxygen and water are no doubt the best remedy for Heroin Headaches.

Hope this was helpful.
Oh, and to avoid heroin hangovers the next day, drink as much water as you can hold down before going to bed and if you do wake up somehow during the night drink as much as you can again. If you manage to cure your headache, dont stop drinking water. The pain will return if you do.

-Jelly

P.S. Some say it is due to Intercranial Pressure, but i disagree as ICP causes quite a few symptoms that do not show up with heroin headaches. But there definitely is some pressure on the head with heroin use. Avoid hard pillows or neck support for a better flow of oxygen via blood to the brain.

Last edited:
Very true about the dehydration aspect. When you actually feel thirsty you are already over dehydrated. I wouldnt wish migraine headaches on anyone. Ive never had cotton fever before but i can imagine hoow bad that must be, coupled with a migraine. Ouch!

I had dope in the Boston area that did the same thing. I suspected fentanyl. it did the same thing to my friend. since than I've made damn sure I wasn't getting the same dope and fortunately it hasn't happened since.

Dope headaches suck. IME drinking a lot of water really helps but still... not pleasant at all when your head feels like it's splitting apart.

The headaches could be due to lack of oxygen from the respiratory depression that opioids tend to cause... it's common to get headaches after taking a nap on a relatively high dose of opioids for most people. This is because of respiratory depression that causes a lack of oxygen to the head.
I feeel like this is it.. I did a shitload of dope last night, and woke up with a splitting headache. Woke up at like 5 am outta nowhere, feeling the urgent need to puke lol. But yea, I don't even remember noddin off, so I think that's it haha.

When I binge on dope I wake up with an absolutley horrible headache every time. It doesn't last very long though. Especially if I got more dope!