Bluelight

Thread: dextromethorphan

1. Collapse Details
    dextromethorphan 
    what effect will 59 mL of robitussin (half of a normal sized 4 oz bottle) have on an average sized guy? doesn't contain any guaifenesin, by the way.

2. Collapse Details

have you tried looking on the back of the bottle.I used to git ripped from 360 mg back in the day

3. Collapse Details

it's about 180 mg i think.

4. Collapse Details

Dosing questions belong in Basic Drug Discussion.

Go to Erowid.org, search for dextromethorphan and read the dosing page.

OD===>BDD

5. Collapse Details

Obyron made a post recently that answers this quite well. I'm going to copy/pasta it for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Obyron
    DXM doses are WEIGHT DEPENDENT. You need x mg of DXM per y kg of body weight to achieve a certain plateau, assuming you are not enzyme deficient. The charts for this are in the DXM FAQ, I think section 5.1-- sec... yeah, DXM FAQ Section 5.1. The first and second lines of the table are the most important as they are the "general range" for each plateau, as well as a recommended dosage. So let's say you weigh 245 pounds. Go to google.com. Type in "convert 245 pounds to kg". The results page will say: "245 pounds = 111.130131 kilograms". Call it 110. Now look at the chart. Say you want a light first plateau experience, just a bit of DXM intoxication, but no dissociation or hallucinations. 1.5mg/kg * 110kg = 165mg of DXM. Say you want a deep third plateau experience with lots of blacking out and crazy hallucinations (this is more fun than it sounds). 12mg/kg * 110kg = 1,320mg of DXM. As you can see, that's a lot of DXM to try to take in pills, and it's a dangerous amount if you're using a syrup or something that contains another active ingredient. Some of these can kill you, like acetaminophen or chlorpheniramine malleate. Others like guafenesin will just make you vomit uncontrollably at that level. That's when you want to read about extractions (google "Agent Lemon Tek") or finding preparations that ONLY contain DXM.

Also, I attach my "stock DXM response":

A large percentage of the population have an enzyme deficiency that will make drugs like DXM hit them harder. These are the people who mention how they took a little cough syrup for a cold, and it completely spaced them out. For these people the effects of DXM are greatly magnified, and what we might consider a low recreational dose (300-400mg) could be life threatening, or at least incredibly unpleasant. "In one study on 252 Americans, 84.3% were found to be "fast" (extensive) metabolizers, 6.8% to be "intermediate" metabolizers, and 8.8% were "slow" metabolizers of DXM." Take 100mg a couple of days before you want to trip in earnest to make sure you're not one of the 1 in 10.
    Note that SSRI antidepressants can also inhibit this enzyme, so if you are on one (Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, Paxil, Zoloft, etc, etc.) you should reconsider taking DXM. Finally, DXM and opiates use the same metabolic pathway and can synergize. Mixing DXM with pain medication is not recommended without a thorough understanding of how each effects you by itself.
    Ignore anyone who tells you how much DXM to take without asking what level of experience you want, and how much you weigh.

6. Collapse Details

i take 30mg celexa for along time now, i dosed with about 360mg dxm last night felt nothing

7. Collapse Details

i feel something from just 180mg and i weight 155lb

8. Collapse Details

Hold on, I weigh about 230 lbs and after drinking 2 bottles of Robitussin was definitely pushing past 3rd plateau. If you go by weight I am either a hell of light weight or how much you weigh only goes so far in effecting trips.

my experiences off of 650-900 have left me talking to imaginary voices and being totally "insane" for hours.

9. Collapse Details

I would def. suggest reading the above posts, as they contain quite a bit of good information.

IME, 180mg DXM, which is apporx. what you would be taking would be a very light threshold dose. I have done DXM many many many times and it seems to be 300mg is the lightest dose to get a DXM experience of any real sort. Usually 450-600mg was my normal dose, although negative side effects on danger increases as you increase your dosage.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cocacrazy View Post
    Hold on, I weigh about 230 lbs and after drinking 2 bottles of Robitussin was definitely pushing past 3rd plateau. If you go by weight I am either a hell of light weight or how much you weigh only goes so far in effecting trips.

my experiences off of 650-900 have left me talking to imaginary voices and being totally "insane" for hours.
    what i've taken around 750 a few times and both and i weigh 155lb. i've never had auditory hallucinations before though or been completely insane. you must have a pretty low tolerance or something.

11. Collapse Details

Australian Drug Discussion
    http://www.dextroverse.org/whatis.html

Go to the bottom, fill in the calculator and Bob's your uncle.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by zrawdog View Post
    what i've taken around 750 a few times and both and i weigh 155lb. i've never had auditory hallucinations before though or been completely insane. you must have a pretty low tolerance or something.
    You know, thinking back on it, I was taking a SSRI (zoloft) so that may have had some effect on my experiences.

13. Collapse Details

i do anywhere from 870-1000mg and im 124lbs
    fucks me up beyond belief
    kinda dangerous to do that much if your not a frequent user of dxm

14. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    yes, be careful with DXM. I took about 1200mg's or so one time and had to be rushed to the ER. I had not done it in a few months, and I don't really remember what happened after a certain point. I'm 150 lbs and like 5'11. Many of my friends have never had any trouble with DXM though, and seem to enjoy the hell out of it. So, if it's for you than use caution and have a crazy time. (by the way, I don't mean to say I don't enjoy the drug just that I was stupid and took too much and couldn't handle it.)

15. Collapse Details

extended/repetitive use will leave Olnie's Lesions (scary fucking holes) in your brain. i weigh 181 and get a pleasant, intense high off of 240mg. it takes 45min-1.5 hours to start kicking in, so don't get impatient and overdose. also, try to find something with dextromethorphan listed as the ONLY active ingredient.

good luck.

16. Collapse Details

Don't mix this with anti-depressants.
    Risk for serotonin syndrome is big.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by keegan.clark View Post
    extended/repetitive use will leave Olnie's Lesions (scary fucking holes) in your brain. i weigh 181 and get a pleasant, intense high off of 240mg. it takes 45min-1.5 hours to start kicking in, so don't get impatient and overdose. also, try to find something with dextromethorphan listed as the ONLY active ingredient.

good luck.
    I don't think there have been any human cases where Olneys Lesions have occured. It has been proven in monkeys though.

18. Collapse Details

This calculator is useful, http://dxm.darkridge.com/calc.html and even works it out for you for robitussin.

19. Collapse Details

^excellent tool to use
    i used to just chug a bottle and hope for the best

20. Collapse Details

It takes me two bottles to hit the 4th plat.

21. Collapse Details

Half a 4 oz bottle (usually 150-200mgs) will give me a good 1st plateau trip. It's mostly just a buzz, music starts to sound kick ass no mater what I'm listening to.

22. Collapse Details

I love the first and second plats too.

They just make everything have a good vibe, ya know?

23. Collapse Details

Ive tried the robitussin max strength once a long time ago. i was definitely at 1st-2nd plateau. i dont remember how much i took..

the only thing i can find now is the robitussin adult cough... it only has dextromethorphan

im about 200-210 lbs.. to reach 2-3rd plateau would u say 10oz is good?

24. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    I'm addicted to DXM. I've been taking it daily for 3 years now. I started off with 6, now I take at least 10-25 max per day of Mucinex or Robo cough gels. Anyone else???

25. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Old thread, wrong forum etc

Sorry to hear that, and if you have a question, please post it--or if you just want some recovery support then please check out our new recovery forums

closed