• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

When can i take methadone after my regular suboxone?

thesean001

Bluelighter
I acquired some 'done and im planning on taking it a day after i take my suboxone.

i snort my suboxone (2mgs a day ) so that might take a few hours off, and i can wait till the middle of the day so that its been 30 or so hours since my last suboxone dose.

will i still get high from the methadone?

you risk putting youself into precipitated withdrawls if you don't wait at least 24 hours after dosing bupe to dose another opiate... granted a bit less time since you snorted it and it lasts shorter... but wait till you really feel the withdrawls to dos the 'done

im waiting at least 24 hours as i already stated. also, "phatass", i thought it was the other way around, like if i was on methadone and i wanted to take bupe, THEN id have to worry about withdrawls. but dosing on another opiate from bupe, all i have to worry about is it not working

Um...the only way he'd feel precipitated withdrawal is if he took the Suboxone after the Methadone, not the other way around. Taking Methadone after Suboxone, the worst thing that could happen was the Suboxone would negate some of the effects of the Methadone.

30 hours is a good enough time to wait, but there really is no set time to wait. You should feel the majority of the Methadone by then, but it's different for everyone, so there is a chance you won't feel it. The one thing phatass did have right was that to feel the full effects, you should wait till you are in withdrawals before dosing the Methadone.

sorry to bump old thread but this is the best answer I could find online.

does any other mod/experience user agree with sixpartseven?

if so you can delete my other one and again I apologize, just getting so many answers mainly because I think people are confusing suboxone then methadone with methadone then suboxone.

I want to be sure here, so the worst is that it may lessen the effects of my methadone right?

^^^Yes.

On the flip side, I took a sub one time after being on methadone maintenance for about 8 months now, I was like, "Oh I'm running low on meth, I should take a sub." For some reason NOT AT ALL THINKING ABOUT WTF SUBS DO. Within 15 minutes I was balled up in my drivers seat sweating, crying, shivering... Worst WD's I've ever, ever been on...

When I lived in Fresno and methadone was wayyyyy easier to get, I would eat it on top of subs(18-24 hours) all the time. Never got sick, just sometimes it would work stronger than others. I like the long lasting effects of the dones though, and once that is in your system it much easier to get the full effects and the box isn't in there blocking it quite as strong

Last edited:
A person should try to wait till your feeling some withdrawals . wait as long as you can to take the methadone. just keep telling yourself the longer I wait the better the methadone is going to feel.

if ur switching from sub to meth on a script [and not trying to get high]..ur making a big mistake...if u get on done ull never get off

What is the answer if I wait to take methadone then want to redose suboxone. How long or how sick must I be? I waited 3 days switching from methadone to suboxone and still went thru PW. I can't stand the nausea on subs and am seriously wanting back on methadone for a day just to sleep and be able to eat again.

^ That's unfortunate but remember methadone has a long half-life. I would think three days would be enough time though. Why not just quit the subs altogether and stay on methadone? At least stop flipping back and forth.

I know you're probably right. I've only been on the suboxone 2 days after 31 years on the methadone. It's so different no sleep or that pleasant drowsiness. I'm so damn full of nausea. I suppose I'm missing done. Sorry for complaining.

The methadone clinic is over 90 miles away I went every 2 weeks in my old car. I was really wanting to try subs to alleviate the methadone clinic cost of $300 a month. On the suboxone it's about $50 plus I can keep a commercial license.

I'd been on methadone for years. I waited 4 days to take the sub, was in pretty bad withdrawal. I was not prepared for the pw, I didn't even know what it was! Well I sure found out. That was the most horrifying ordeal of my life. Methadone has a very long half life even if you don't feel it. Some people need to wait up to 10 days to take the sub not worth it for me, I'll stay on the methadone. If I even hear the word suboxone I run away screaming. I think if you took the sub first then methadone, it would probably block the methadone. Good luck to all of you.

So here is my question to all of you. If I take my regular dose of 16 mg bupe can I take a methadone and still feel it?? More importanly if I do take it just to try out the effects, will I be able to take my suboxone tomarro at my regular dose and still be ok and get no pw?????

Well here I am 2 years later reading this. I never did take the Methadone.My husband is on it and its readily available. I suppise i did have willpower. I began to sleep after a few weeks. The nausea never did go away 100%. I lost 50 pounds. Those who said methadone makes you fat were right. I was able to keep my connercial driver's license but am not doing that as a career just now. Thanks to everyone here for your advice and help.