• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

I aced Calc 2 then flunked out of Calc 3. I'm a philosophy major.

I am currently discussing the possibility of switching my degree from a B.S. to a B.A. With that, I will only have one more math class to take which will be trigonometry & some calculus.

i took a year of calc in undergrad. and a few stats classes but those were mostly a joke. my major ended up being psychology but i switched a few times.

Statistics 145: Introductory Statistics & Math 148: College Algebra were the only two math courses I had to take. I am a Psychology major (BA).

^Same here, more or less. Introductory stats and college algebra, both of which I took at community college for my A.A. Depending on whether or not I finish in Psychology (more and more doubtful every day) or switch to either my minor or something else entirely, I'll have to learn how to do a bit more.

Completed through trigonometry in HS, and probably spent more time tutoring/studying for math than I did on all other subjects combined. I am not a math person, though oddly enough I don't think I got below an A- in any college science course.

If you like and are good at math, why not keep it as a minor? Do you plan to pursue graduate study in anthro or another social science?

Biochemistry. Calc I and II, multivariate calculus (calc 3 I guess), mid-level statistics. These were the minimum requirements. If you're planning on majoring in any field of science, then you're most likely going to have to take at least through Calc II.

I look at "math people" as a completely different breed of the human race. ;) I would probably die if I had to take calculus. I only completed through Algebra II in high school and basically my university math experience was just a rehashing of what I had learned in high school. My major was history, minor women's studies.

I was very very strong in math from a very young age but I went through a nontraditional math program called integrated math which had a huge focus on word problems and critical thinking/problem solving. I learned basically nothing of how to do things like 2 sided equations, linear equations, graphing etc. like it is taught in a traditional algebra-geometry-algebra2 series but the skills were built in and through trial/error I developed my own methods to do these problems.

The problem was I went on to PreCal and my Algebra and Trig skills were not strong and I suffered through it but then did moderately well in Calculus (as its more applicable to the real world in my experience). Anyway in college I tested into the higher level Calculus series (21 series) and did 2 quarters of it and struggled the entire time. I swore to never suffer through anymore math and majored in Economics only to find it kept getting more and more math related as I went on.

Ironically despite all this suffering through math and just having to force my way through it and never wanting anything to do with it again after Calculus 21B I somehow became a high school math teacher. I teach Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. 3 subjects I never took myself. I love teaching these courses and finding new ways to reach the students and connect the material to their lives.

I sometimes think to myself while in my classroom the irony of the situation: that something I so despised and struggled with at the end of highschool and throughout college is something I do for a living and love it.

I did pretty much all of them, All the Calculus classes I-IV, linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Combinatorics, Statistics, just to name a few.......

My major was Criminal Justice

i graduated high school somehow and i cant do basic algebra if my life depended on it. i know multiplication subtraction division and addition.

Ugh I suck at math! im a right brainer :) I seem to have been better at math in high school I took up to Calculus but barely made it through that... in college I took basic basic algebra 1 and struggled to get a B. I am a design major.

I was required to take Calculus 1 and 2, took 3 out of personal interest (3 being multivariate, 1 completed in HS), and a statistics course. Neuroscience/psychobiology (BS) major, chemistry minor.

The -- IM FINALLY GRADUATING-- thread!! CLASS OF 2009

That's right class of 2009!

WHO'S GRADUATING?!?!?!?

I am SO excited. I just found out I will be walking on stage in June! I have put in SO much hard work and I cant wait to make my parents and myself ecstatic, they have been waiting for this literally all my life ( I have never graduated - on stage - from anything, not even high school)

I plan on celebrating before/during the commencement ceremony ;-)

congrats class of 2009

List your major and school graduating from and what you will be doing next?

Sociology
California State University Los Angeles
Preparing for law school ( La Verne Law, Ontario CA)

Well i graduate from tafe in June, but I am going to Uni next year, soooo... Maybe I should come back in a few years lol.

I'm still extremely fucking excited I finish tafe, it has been a long 2.5 years. :D

Awesome man! it dose not matter where your graduating from, so long as your graduating from somewhere!

whats tafe?

Hmm it's hard to explain now I think of it lol. You can do basically, diplomas, certificates and advanced diplomas at different campuses/ tafe's around Australia. Tafe's focus more on trade type areas, businessy things etc, some tafe's have degrees you can complete too. But tafe is good if you got a low ENTER score after year 12 and couldn't get into uni, but with certain diplomas, it can be a pathway into certain uni degrees.

I go to http://www.nmit.vic.edu.au/ :)