threats - should i be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clovurr

Bluelighter
a girl who i used to hang out with recently got sent to jail, along with her boyfriend, for something to do with heroin. both of them have had legal troubles due to heroin in the past . Now somehow her mom has become convinced that I was the one providing her daughter with heroin which is absolutely not true - i haven't even seen nor talked to the girl in at least two months. However, i have used with her prior to that (i haven't used heroin, except one time, in about 2 months). So her mother called me and left a message - main points being: "you'd better keep your junk away from my daughter or else - this is your only warning - i know where you live and i have your number - you don't wanna mess with me" this made me pretty nervous - now, what she thinks i did is not true, but, i do use other substances occasionally(I have never dealt drugs tho!) and i dread the thought of legal trouble. Also, i heard from someone who knows her that she has said she is going to the police.

SO - is there anything to worry about? can the police show up at my house? can they keep an eye on me somehow?

this whole deal has made me a bit paranoid

thanks for any info

While I believe the police probably have better things to do with their time, the course of action I would suggest for you is to remove any contraband you may have on your person or in your home, keep a low profile, and do not send any e-mails, texts, etc. with any questionable content.

In general it takes more than an accusation from an irate parent, but do take responsibility for your own personal safety and privacy.

^ Seconded. And further, if the police do come sniffing around, say absolutely nothing to them without the advice of a lawyer. LE will appear as if "they are trying to help you," while the reality is they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself--so don't do their work for them.

If the police show up to talk to you DO NOT answer the door. Don't talk to them, don't allow them to enter your home, don't allow them to search your vehicle. Your best bet is to not interact with the police.

If, for whatever reason, they take you in for questioning don't believe what they tell you. Just stay quiet and you'll be out in a pretty short amount of time.

You have nothing to gain from talking to the police.

If the police show up to talk to you DO NOT answer the door. Don't talk to them, don't allow them to enter your home, don't allow them to search your vehicle. Your best bet is to not interact with the police.
This is even better advice. As forgotten has said in another thread, if there's legal justification, they'll break the door down. If there's not (and from your story, there probably won't be), they'll have to leave--if you don't answer the door.

If they call you to come down, don't do it without your lawyer. Even better, put all your calls through voicemail and don't talk to them directly.

If, for whatever reason, they take you in for questioning don't believe what they tell you. Just stay quiet and you'll be out in a pretty short amount of time.

You have nothing to gain from talking to the police.

Exactly, unless they have a warrent to search your house they can't even come in. So therfore you have the right to pretend to not even be home and they can't do shit about it. If this bitches mom did snitch and you don't have a record I doubt they will take it to seriously. Just don't do anything stupid, if you use then play it smart until the heat is off, probably a couple months or less.

cool thanks

thank you for the replies and info - this is essentially what i assumed to be the case. i have never had any legal issues or had to deal with the police beyond a fine for drinking in public.

someone has probably already said this but
SAVE THE MESSAGE!!!

it might be useful later

If you do not have anything incriminating and you really feel threatened you could also go to the police yourself, she DID threaten you right?

It's not something I would do but you shouldn't be denied the right to charge someone with a crime just because you did drugs in the past/present. Nobody agree with me on this?

^ I agree, dependent of course on circumstances. "You don't wanna mess with me" (the original message left on the voicemail) leaves a lot open to interpretation, including violence.

In general, no one should have to put up with a statement like that on their answering service, especially in conjunction with further implied threats or behavior, and in some cases going to the police might be a good idea to keep a bad situation from escalating.

Status
Not open for further replies.