• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Anti-depressants and MDMA: Expansion

2oclockbeanfiend.2

Bluelighter
I'm posting this because, although fairnymph's original FAQ is very beneficial, there are obviously some exceptions and I would like to expand more on those. Also, personal accounts from real people, as opposed to chemistry and statistics, I think are what people really want, because again, there are exceptions.

FAQ: Antidepressants and Recreational Drugs (fairnymph) [For ED's sake, I only used the information regarding MDMA.]
-------------
Tricyclics (TCAs)
Amitripyline (Elavil, Endep, Tryptin(e,) Tryptanol)
Amitriptyline and Chlordiazepoxide (Limbitrol)
Amitriptyline + Perphenazine (brand name Etrafon, Triavil -- Perphenazine is an antispychotic)
Clomipramine (Placil, Anafranil)
Desipramine (Norpramin, Pertofran)
Dothiepin (Prothiaden, Dothep)
Doxepin (Adapin, Sinequan, Deptran)
Imipramine (Melipramine, Tofranil)
Lofepramine (Gamanil, Lomont) [extensively metabolized to Desipramine]
Nortriptyline (Pamelor, Alledgron, Nortrilen, Sensival)
Protriptyline (Vivactil)
Trimipramine (Surmontil)

TCAs will reduce the effects of taking MDMA – i.e. you won’t roll very hard, if at all. Some people do roll on TCAs however, and find that TCAs do not inhibit the effects of MDMA as much as the SSRIs do. Still, you will find that rolling on TCAs is not NEARLY as fun as rolling without being on a TCA. It is not fatally dangerous to take MDMA while one TCA, but as MDMA increases the risk of cardiovascular complications, and TCAs already have some negative effects on the cardiovascular system, it could be unsafe to combine these drugs. I have not heard of a case of cardiovascular problems resulting from MDMA and TCA, but it is still a possibility that you should be aware of. Consider the combination of MDMA and a TCA very carefully – you’ll find that it’s probably not worth it.

SSRIs
Citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil,Seropram)
- "when i was taking a 20 mg a day dose of citolopram, it was possible to roll. It did raise my tolerance but not by all that much." (Bone)
- "I'm on 20mg of Citalopram and I'm able to roll on a single pill. I don't do it too often, though. Once every couple of months." (GrizzleBee's)
- "I'm still on Celexa and I decided to try rolling. I took a #1 and snorted 1/3 of another (I don't believe it with the 100% MDA.. i believe it was mild MDMA and MDA combo but maybe MDMA alone. My pupils dilated and I did feel somewhat more happy than usual. I usually pat my hair down while rolling and I was doing that too. I wasn't too talkative, but I did do a lot of yawning tho. If I took more I think I would have rolled harder. My friends said they were seeing stuff move (i.e. looking at the ceiling) but I didn't notice anything. NOTE: I've been taking Celexa 10mg for about 3 weeks now." (kevz)
Fluoxetine (Prozac, Flux, Fluxil, Fluxine, Modipran, Oxetin. Prolert, Prozyn, Rize, Seronil, Ufrex,Vonder, Zauxit)
- "I have quit antidepressants (prozac) for 3 years and I am still unable to roll." (randomSoma)
- "Lies, I've been on prozac for about a year and I had the best MDMA from Vancouver last night." (Cheesegrater)
- "i myself was on prozac for 1 year , and still find my rolls to be somewhat quite different from what they used to be + the negative side effects are more pronounced. The feeling of magic on MDA is gone & MDMA just makes me feel alert aside from loved up. any sugguestions? Prozac dose was 20mg/day" (Corsto.)
- "My ex boyfriend has taken MDMA before and he was on both Prozac and Effexor (not at the same time, both at rather moderate/high doses) and he could roll while taking both." (PriestTheyCalledHim)
- "Although Ive only rolled once prior to being put on effexor xr 75mg a day. I would say the roll is slightly less intense if i roll the day I take some effexor or the day after. My friend is on 20mgs of prozac and always seems to need more mdma than me to roll well, I think prozac might be the worst for e disinhibition." (Benzo420)
- "I was taking prozac for quiet some time, and the effects of rolling definately weren't the same, and my friends would ask me ' are you even rolling? ', i would reply with a yes, and although i was still rolling a little bit, i could definately see the difference between rolling with prozac and rolling without prozac. I don't think it was worth the $ while I was taking prozac." (kevz)
- "plugged some mda earlier today while on prozac - little or no effects...i thought i'd at least get some visuals but nothing apart from the occaisional spacing out and bright lights seeming unusually cool.....actually approximately 3 hours after plugging i got nice chills everywhere and some tracers so there were some weak effects" (lyXw33d)
- "I am on fluoxetine prozac 20mg. I have rolled twice since starting the medication, and although i wasn't in the same place as i had been during my previous session, it really was very pleasant indeed considering i only had a few pink euros. Also worth noting, is that the previous incident involved pure mdma...so no suprises it didn't match up. I became very freindly, open and honest with my friends, and mangaed to share many of my bottled up problems with them. I felt very active and talkative and it certainly felt like a decent serotonin rush." (Dancan)

- "I've been taking Prozac (Fluexetine) for over a year...If I take even 1 Prozac at the same time as 5 pills, 70% of the roll is lost...If I stop taking Prozac a week before the pills, I get a really good roll but it still takes a lot of pills." (GabrielKnight)
- "I was on prozac for years, probably around three, and I have been off it for about a year. I roll complete fucking face, I am such a lightweight." (Shvibzik)
- "i take prozac now and took what was supposed to be a good roll from a reliable source and felt nothing" (modman860)
Fluvoxamine (Luvox, Faverin, Dumirox)
Paroxetine (Paxil, Aropax, Seroxat)
- "My roommate is on 0.5mg of Paxil (ultra-low dose). He exhibits the type of behavior someone enjoying a roll appears to but definitely to a lesser degree than I do. Based off the discussions we have during the experience and after it would seem that when I'm rolling balls off two pills, he's merely enjoying himself on three of the same pills." (mortalstrain)
- "i seem to get excellent rolls and im on aropax (paroxetine), sodium valproate and olanzepine. i have never taken E wen not on anti-depressants of sum kind. granted i can drop up to 5-6 pills in a night. maybe naturally i have a sensitivity to it" (drug_wench)
- "my bf is on paxil & on abilify....and he rolls, but i thinkit explains the reason why he needs like 3-4 pills at once" (mzkittee)
Sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral, Besitran)
- "i was put on paxil then effexor then prozac then remeron and finally zolfot. after quitting all of them because my body had adverse reactions to each one i rolled (about 3 months after quitting the zolfot). i was told before i did so that with my imbalance that i would feel the after effects much worse and may not be able to roll well, i rolled my face off. so don't loose hope about rolling if you are or have been on anti-depressants." (itsgot2bme)
- "Im on zoloft and am able to fully roll so its all good." (Spooky Snacks)
- "i managed to roll like 2 days ago but now i can feel this fucked up buzzing feeling in my head constantly, its kinda like pins and needles in my head or something lol. what could be causing this and how long would it take to go away? I was thinking it might be the zoloft replacing seretonin or something but i just wana be sure." (hellraiser666)
- "I was on zoloft and my very fisrt time trying X was when I was taking zoloft. All my friends were having the time of their lives and I was just standing around completely sober...IT SUCKED! So after some research and a couple of weeks off of zoloft I had the most amazing time of my life. I finally found out what rolling was really about." (kowlowitz123)
- "The first time I took E I had been on zoloft for 3 or 4 months..... and nothing happened. I was fucking pissed! So i took a one week break from those pills and tried E again, this time it was absolutley amazing and probably the best drug experience I've ever had." (Krowsnose)
Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex)
- "I was on lexapro (20mg) for a couple of months. During that period I tried to pill with my friends once but didnt get the effects I desired so rather than wast time and money, I did not try again." (eagle_eye)
- "has anyone else been put on SSRIs (namely lexapro) and for their first few doses, felt like they were on a roll? i was in some kind of strange dream, dilated pupils and all, except replace the euphoria with intense anxiety. upon hospitalisation i stopped taking SSRIs immediately, but to this day i'm not sure if what i was experiencing for that month was normal or what?" (psybeebee)
- "I have found that 10mg Lexapro and 300mg Wellbutrin XL daily has made me unable to roll." (HeyFK)

It is NOT POSSIBLE TO ROLL while taking an SSRI! It is a COMPLETE and UTTER WASTE OF YOUR MONEY! Basically, SSRIs “block” the part of your brain where the MDMA needs to go in order to get you high; and since MDMA can’t get in there, you won’t be able to get high. You might experience some weak “speedy” effects from high doses of MDMA, but you will not be able to truly “roll”. Do NOT stop taking your SSRI so that you can roll. First of all, even if you stop taking it for a few days, it is unlikely that you will fully be able to roll. It takes much longer than a few days for all the SSRI (and its metabolites and effects) to leave your body (read above under “metabolism”). Second, you can get VERY SICK (withdrawal symptoms, depression, etc) if you stop taking your medicine. I strongly suggest that you give up rolling while you are taking an SSRI.

- "bullshit i've rolled like a motherfucker on SSRI's" (LegalizeOpiates)

Heterocyclics
Amoxapine (Asendin, Asendas)
- same as TCAs
Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban, Zyntabac)
- There is a lot of controversy about rolling on bupropion. Some people (especially people who have bipolar) find that they can roll normally. Some people find that they roll slightly less hard than normally. Some people find that they only roll a little bit. In general, most people find that they can still roll, but not quite as hard, and so they often need to take more MDMA than usual. However, until you know how MDMA affects you personally while you are on bupropion, take your normal dose of MDMA. If you are at all prone to seizures, you should avoid combining bupropion and MDMA as you are more likely to suffer a seizure with this combination.
- "IMO u will feel NOTHING from a roll if u are on wellbutrin. i took 4 rolls (STRONG) after being of wellbutrin probly 4-6 weeks and i didn't feel anything but the side-effects and i was only on wellbutrin 6 weeks. even 5 months later when i popped 3 barely anything " (2oclockbeanfiend.2)
- "It doesn't really affect it much at all as far as I can tell. I first tried E after I started Welbutrin, but it seems to work ok. I need a slightly higher dosage than most other people I know, but that could just be individual chemistry." (Gldm)
- "i dropped 1 "adidas" stamped pil tonight and felt very little. i am currently on welbutrin, and lamictal. i know the welbutrin has no side effects, but i was wondering if the lamictal is preventing me from having an experience....i just bought i test kit because out of the 3 times ive rolled in the past 2 months, only once was the experience worth while. i seriously feel nothing but mildly speedy.." (royksopp)
- "I on cymbalta and wellbutrin. I did some good X in LA and felt pretty well. Did some here and it sucked." (candygirl_lori)
- "I have found that 10mg Lexapro and 300mg Wellbutrin XL daily has made me unable to roll." (HeyFK)
Maprotiline (Ludiomil, Loxapac)
- Not much is known about rolling on NARIs. Rolling is still possible, and appears to be safe. Some of MDMA’s effects are intensified while other effects are absent or weakened. I was much hotter and more sedated than usual, and jaw clenching/grinding, which I normally don’t suffer from much, was quite severe. I also felt more “fucked up” – I was more out of it, had trouble with motor control, walking, etc. I did not feel “stimulated” and I did not experience body rushes and tingling like I normally do. I still felt a decent amount of euphoria, however, and was more social and talkative. The comedown from MDMA was unpleasant (which it has never been otherwise), and included headache and jaw pain.
Mianserin (Bolvidon, Lantanon, Lerivon, Lumin, Norval, Tolvon)
- There is some evidence that mianserin may reduce MDMA-related neurotoxicity by blocking some of MDMA’s effects on 5HT2 receptors. Mianserin’s effects on NE probably increases the stimulant effects of MDMA. Though probably a relatively safe combination, roll with caution; start with a low dose.
- "Tolvon seems to have no adverse affect on rolling...but then I'm only on 10mg" (zhuk)
Mirtazapine (Remeron, Avanza, Rexer Zipsin)
- Rolling on mirtazapine is relatively safe. Some people find that they do not roll quite as hard as they usually would, and that they need to take about 1/2 an extra pill to obtain normal effects.
- "taking mirtazapine here...and yes i was able to roll." (SoupMane)
- "I've been on mirtazapine now for about 6 months. I can still roll if the pills are good." (AfterGlow)
- "im on same drug. can roll, but dont really feel meds are doing a whole lot. go to therapy." (coulage v.2)
Nefazodone (Serzone)
- Rolling on nefazodone is relatively safe. Because of the serotonin reuptake inhibitor effects of nefazodone, you will probably not roll as hard as usual. Some people will stop taking nefazodone for a day or two in order to roll more effectively. While stopping your medication is never recommended, in this case stopping for a day or two seemed to improve people’s rolls.
Reboxetine (Edronax, Vestra, Norebox)
- Not much is known about rolling on NARIs. Rolling is still possible, and appears to be safe. Some of MDMA’s effects are intensified while other effects are absent or weakened. I was much hotter and more sedated than usual, and jaw clenching/grinding, which I normally don’t suffer from much, was quite severe. I also felt more “fucked up” – I was more out of it, had trouble with motor control, walking, etc. I did not feel “stimulated” and I did not experience body rushes and tingling like I normally do. I still felt a decent amount of euphoria, however, and was more social and talkative. The comedown from MDMA was unpleasant (which it has never been otherwise), and included headache and jaw pain.
Tianeptine (Ardix, Stablon)
- AFAIK, I am the only person to have ever taken MDMA while taking tianeptine (37.5mg/day for a month). The combination was a good one, and undoubtably the tianeptine potentiated (made stronger) the effects of the MDMA. Having rolled a dozen times, on a variety of doses, I can say that this was the strongest roll I have ever experienced. The dose of MDMA was average for me, and it was pure and tested. The tianeptine does not potentiate the MDMA enough to make the combination really dangerous, but nonetheless I recommend being cautious when using MDMA while taking tianeptine. You certainly would not need to take more than 1-2 pills.
- Rolling on tianeptine is probably safe, though there could be the possibility of serotonin syndrome. Some people have theorized that tianeptine could boost one’s roll. There are no metabolic interactions between MDMA and tianeptine, at the very least. So far no one has rolled on tianeptine, though, using MDMA is discouraged until more is known about the interaction.
Trazodone (Desyrel)
- "Trazadone is a no-no" (BilZ0r)
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
- See SSRIs. It is not possible to roll on venlafaxine. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you STOP TAKING YOUR VENLAFAXINE SUDDENLY. Venlafaxine has VERY SEVERE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS including nausea, dizziness, and ELECTRIC SHOCKS!
- "I recently started taking effexor. You stated above that I "might" be able to roll. I've definately noticed that the high sucks in comparison to before taking the medication, and I don't really get the good feelings off pills." (fulfilla)
- "well i have tried to roll while being on Effexor, the pill was a proven 100% high quality product. what i noticed, slight high, very very slight roll effects, and large dialated pupils. apart from that nothing." (Virtua_Trancer)
- "My ex boyfriend has taken MDMA before and he was on both Prozac and Effexor (not at the same time, both at rather moderate/high doses) and he could roll while taking both." (PriestTheyCalledHim)
- "Well it seems that some people can "roll" when theyre on Effexor. I can only speak for myself but personally I coudn't. Also, it was the first time I tried MDMA, and it was a pure pill. I'm in the process of getting off my Effexor actually. I've been on 75 mg for the first two months of taking it, then over a period of a month dropped down to about 9 mg. Apparently even this tiny dose was too much for anything to happen." (return1)
Duloxetine (Cymbalta, Yentreve)
- "I on cymbalta and wellbutrin. I did some good X in LA and felt pretty well. Did some here and it sucked." (candygirl_lori)
- "Cymbalta (duloxetine) will block the roll, some people find even SSRIs block most of the noradrenaline-y type effects, but I think mixed uptake inhibitors will block it for everyone." (BilZ0r)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still have 5 pages to tackle on this thread adding other personal accounts, but if anyone else wants to help I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. Otherwise, I will continue tomorrow. Also, if there are other users with useful information regarding this topic, please feel free to post and I will add them when I'm free (Or I'm sure MazDan or one of the other mods will do it if its inconvenient for me, and of course, if its convenient for them. :) )

I hope this expansion will prove to be beneficial with the inclusion of new and updated personal accounts. If not, whatever. Close it. I think its a good idea. Fairnymph took the first step, now its our turn to expand.

Peace,
Beanfiend

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you for all the research and easy-to-access information! =)

My roommate is on 0.5mg of Paxil (ultra-low dose). He exhibits the type of behavior someone enjoying a roll appears to but definitely to a lesser degree than I do.

Based off the discussions we have during the experience and after it would seem that when I'm rolling balls off two pills, he's merely enjoying himself on three of the same pills.

Thanks again!

<3Matt

My ex boyfriend has taken MDMA before and he was on both Prozac and Effexor (not at the same time, both at rather moderate/high doses) and he could roll while taking both.

No problem. Keep in mind fairnymph did all of the original research, which is located here. What I want to do is expand on their idea.

Love it. This is really useful information and its much appreciated.
good work beanfiend :)

I have been taking cymbalta a few months and could not roll from 2 decent pills. I did feel different but no empathy or any of the usual effects, not even really a speedy feeling either except slight jaw clenching. No pupil dilation either. I am hoping that I can just stop taking the antidepressant for several days before I plan to roll and it will work.

Not sure how I missed this earlier but this is really well done bro.

I don't know how useful this is, but I am currently on a daily regimen of Nortriptyline. I have had a dose of MDMA (though high, especially for my body weight, 200mg) while taking this prescription. However, I did not take my Nortriptyline the day before dosing, or the day of, so that may have been one reason why the MDMA still affected me. I resumed my normal routine of taking Nortriptyline the day after. (I will be posting a very detailed trip report on this experience shortly, if that will help further this information.)

Any info about abilify and lamictal interactions? I was recently prescribed these but have not been able to find any drug interaction info.

So basically this thread is saying, try MDMA on an SSRI and see if you roll because some people have rolled on their SSRI. I know it is not directly saying that, but it is giving mixed messages. Is it at all dangerous to try MDMA on an SSRI, wouldn't the risk of serotonin syndrome be increased. Or does it just block most of the effects

I was on Wellbutrin I think at the time when I was able to roll a LITTLE BIT by putting the pill under my tongue and letting it dissolve. Swallowing a pill did nothing, and this was great E. Also, when I was on an SSRI (I forget which one) before this, E did NOTHING at all. Even taking 5 or 6 at once did nothing. Bummer.

Any other drugs that antidepressants make nonfunctional?

tried rolling while on lexapro 20mg and I felt barely anything off good pills, (my 5 friends were having a blast and rolling hard off the same ones), barely any body high, no pupil dialation, no tracers, no nothing. I just felt somewhat speedy altered. It sucked.

Once I got off SSRI and SNRI's (something people really should consider....that stuff is pure bullshit, and my research is someone who was placed on that garbage plenty, plenty of times and have tried almost every ssri and snri available the major ones at least)

Getting off ssri's was great, you feel human again, I feel like a man. By that I feel like I can fucking get horny like a fucking man should be. Getting off them, ull know what I mean. Everything is so numbed on ssri's.....so glad im off them, one of my favorite decisions, and that W/D wasnt THAT bad after being on lexapro for 2 years. Try opiate and benzo w/d for something bad. SSRI w/d was cake compared to that. Only thing i hated were the occasional "zaps" GOD those gave me such wtf moments mid conversation 8(

I cant believe how much euphoria Mirtazapine and Sertraline have stolen for me both long term and also when i take mdma it seems very mild even compared to usual.

It makes me think that these drugs do more harm that help.

I am currently on Sertraline (zoloft) 100 mg, Bupropion (wellbutrin) 300 mg, and Abilify 20 mg. I started with the zoloft about 2 years ago, and the others have been added over some time. Before being put on any medications, I would roll very often, and I would roll very hard. I have taken many E pills and I have done Molly many times. I had some amazing times. However, after starting the zoloft, I took Molly (a good amount), and I did not feel one damn thing. I felt 100% sober. And it was not a matter of it being bad Molly, because my friends were on a whole nother level...they we're on a different planet. And I was sober. I also tried Molly several times after being on Abilify and zoloft and again, nothing. I was then put on Wellbutrin , but I didn't even bother trying it again because I knew it would just be a waste of money and I would just end up pissed again. It sucks that I can't get high from it anymore, but I know that it still does damage to my brain whether or not I feel high, and at one point I could say that my taking ecstasy was beginning to become a problem. So it's bittersweet. I would love to roll again, but I know that it would be stupid to stop taking my meds just to roll. It would only cause more damage and would definitely not be worth it. Now I just smoke mad bud and I'm content with it. Basically, I would say if you are on any of these meds, just try it once and if you don't feel anything, don't bother trying it again, and accept the fact that you can't roll while on meds.

-Dana

Can anyone else share their experience or advice on Citalopram and MDMA? Have recently been prescribed the Citalopram, have not started them yet as i have a couple of festivals approaching. Not sure if it would be worth the withdrawals stopping them like a week before or completely wasting my mandy by not feeling the effects. Hmmm what to do :\

I was on prozac for a little over half of a year, and have now been off of it for probably a month... took a heavier dose of molly the other night; i rolled but not super hard :( i heard somewhere that it takes 3 months for prozac to get completely out of your system