• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

(Eszopiclone) Lunesta Causing Bad Taste in Mouth

The first time I took lunesta I was cursed with the terrible taste, I read online somwhere to wrap it in a small piece of bread. It's strange swallowling a small chunk of bread, but it worked. Never had the taste again!

I was on Lunesta and the side effect was HORRIBLE. I hated taking Lunesta...i avoided taking it if i didnt have to. the taste and white filmey build up was terrible. I would NEVER suggest Lunesta to any of my friends

My Sleep clinic Neurologist put me on Lunesta samples. 3 mg's.

1st. night slept 6 hours. That was great*
Had a bad taste in mouth like I ate a metal fence post , and felt very wiped out next morning like I had a hang over.

From that point on , it did Not help me sleep at all.
Still metallic taste in mouth. Feel really worn out like I had a drink and I'm not a drinker.

This was a waste of time.

Are lunesta cheaper to produce/prescribe than ambien? What is the main difference between the two and if they're both Z drugs why does one have the bad taste and not the other? Surely the manufacturers could get rid of it buy changing the recipie or something!

I know that's why I hate giving anyone Zopiclone or Lunesta. In general avoid Z drugs,of them Ambien is the best even on years of use it doesn't cause any brain disorder. For bitter taster try chewing Mentos gum or something but it won't help, so absolutely cut it out. Have Ativan 2-4mg or some other benzo that suits you.(Ativan also gives you a mood lift in many people) Use it s.o.s. to avoid dependence, rotate benzos Ativan one day Restoril the next so that u're not dependent on a single drug.

I feel pretty certain that the taste is actually the result of zopiclone molecules coming into contact with your taste receptors through the bloodstream. Taste unmetabolized lunesta fresh from a pill. It's the exact same thing but 10x more horrible.

I've had the taste linger for the rest of the next day even when I swallow the pill whole.
I guess it could slightly touch my tongue on the way to my tummy, but the pills are coated and that wouldn't explain it lasting all the day after...

Seems like it's more of a side effect that comes about somehow.

The bad taste you get in the back of your mouth after ingesting Zopiclone/Ezopiclone is the result of a chemical reaction taking place in your stomach. This is a recording.

Are lunesta cheaper to produce/prescribe than ambien? What is the main difference between the two and if they're both Z drugs why does one have the bad taste and not the other? Surely the manufacturers could get rid of it buy changing the recipie or something!

Good question. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe zolpidem in the UK, probably cause they have been told it has more recreational value & is more likely to be abused than zop (not true btw) They're quite similar, & tolerance develops very quickly with both drugs.

Fuck knows why zopiclone leaves that metallic taste. Best way to take zopiclone is to plug it. It works better taken up the mudhole if you have a tolerance lol, and it reduces the taste problem.

Crush the tabs & mix with warm water, they dissolve quite easily.

Last edited:
I've observed the comments people have said about Lunesta and they are right.. The metallic taste in your mouth the first moment you get up in the morning is not very pleasant. But if you are someone who is with true insomnia, then you should know you've been through the battles earlier before Lunesta. Try taking valerian root extract. Smells like dirty feet and provides the worst gas but it works, does it not? Last night was my first time taking Lunesta and instead of 3mg that is normally prescribed I have to take two. So double whammy on the flavor train! If it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger and that's exactly the truth, I woke up feeling revitalized. No sluggish hangover feeling like taking an Ambien, Trazodone, Alprazolam, Triazolam, Restoril, Klonopin, or any other commonly prescribed sedative/hypnotic. All medications are going to have side effects but the one thing I noticed about Lunesta is when during my trial of how the 3mg's would first affect me, I had absolutely no euphoria, sedation feeling, or a relaxing feeling like I would if I took a clonazepam and didn't go to sleep right away. My point being is yes, some people work better than others with taking certain medications for sleep deprivation or insomnia. But to say the only reason why you wouldn't take it because it left a lingering metallic taste in your mouth to be is but absurd. I rather not feel like I need three cups of coffee to take away my sluggish Halcion mornings. To me, this is where I say and hate to say it, I see people misusing medications for the sole purpose of its multipurposes. I was once there too, friends. Lost in a point of where I couldn't think right, felt depressed, and was just wanting to kill for a solid nights sleep. Then the medications they put me on, boy were they a trip. But it got old, really quick. It makes you think, I just want to be normal again. Sleep like a normal person. I tried Lunesta last night and slept like a normal person and woke up feeling the same way. Horrible taste in mouth and all, I'm still going to take my medication. It's not the end of the world, it's just a lingering taste that will go away within an hour or two.
Joey

This is how I deal with the horrible metallic taste.
I would say it gets rid of about 90% of the taste- but not all.
I try to put the pill as far back in my mouth as possible and then drink water. And within 15 minutes or so of taking the pill, I rinse my mouth with Therabreath by Dr. Katz (about 10-15$ at CVS).
And then 1st thing when I wake up in the morning, even before I go to the bathroom, I rinse again with Therabreath.
Gargle good in the back of your mouth, especially your tongue.
And then lastly, I have breakfast with my coffee, and then I gargle 1 last time before the day- and I don't taste it any more during the day.
I hope this helps someone - because I looked everywhere for a solution, and just tried this one and it works for me!
Good Luck!

I was on Ambien from 2007 till 2017 and never had a metallic taste in my mouth. I recently started using lunesta, because my body has became immune to Ambien and this lunesta makes me want to go back to the Ambien even though I now it won't work like it did years and years ago.

This taste is the worst so I stopped taking it. I really needed to sleep the other night. I dripped two 1mg pills in to a small glass of Gatorade and chugged it. I think that because the pills never touched my tongue I did not experience the taste. Try it.