• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

(Eszopiclone) Lunesta Causing Bad Taste in Mouth

LiquidICE

Bluelighter
I know that this is a very common side effect from lunesta. My question here is if anyone knows a way for me to get rid of the taste in the morning or if there are any ways to curb this from happening. I have heard that putting the pill in a capsule works but I dont know how that would work.

Sorry for posting twice in a row but any tips from other people would be much appreciated.

I stopped using this due to this side effect... blah, s'horrible!
I found that when I woke up, if I sucked on a strong mint or something like that it took the taste away whilst it was all minty, but the taste persisted quite some time into the day, so I stopped it.

I was on Lunesta for 5 days and suffered from this as well. After the 5 days, I continued to wake with a bad taste in my mouth, and this persisted for roughly 4 weeks afterward. It was horrible. No amount of food/mints/gum could mask the taste; it was somehow being produced internally.

It was a rather horrific experience to be honest. Waking up with a rotten taste in your mouth everyday for a month is no fun :\. My asshole doctor should have listened when I specifically requested Ambiem, but the Lunesta parent company had him in their pockets (as evident by the Lunesta posters on his walls, the Lunesta pens all over his office, and the Lunesta Rx samples that he was more than willing to stuff into my hands).

LiquidICE said:
Sorry for posting twice in a row but any tips from other people would be much appreciated.

If you read the OD Guidelines (linked to in my signature) you'll see that you are allowed to bump your thread once, usually a day or so after you make it. Not three minutes after you make the original post.

As to your question though, I've never experienced this the times I've used zopiclone, but going by what people like Fail Fighter have said, there may not be a 'cure' for it besides ceasing to take the med. Unlike a bad taste caused by eating something which can be easily gotten rid of by a mint or whatever, this side effect is being caused by the chemical or it's metabolites in your blood stream and as long as it's there the effects will be too.

that bitter, ever-lingering bullshit in the back of your throat?

as blonde said.. the only way to get rid of it is to cease taking the medication.

that shit ruined every meal i had that day.

this is a side effect of many drugs, not just lunesta. Heroin does the same thing, but maybe not to the same extent. We all know alcohol does the same thing, and the green day song "geek stink breath" leads me to believe that if you do enough meth, you get bad breath. I would say stop taking lunesta and take another sleep med, if not RX, then melatonin or 5htp

I know this could be dangerous, but I resorted to parking a semi chewed piece of gum in my mouth just before I would fall asleep. It would almost cover up the taste come morning.

Just make sure you aren't a really bad nighttime drooler

Honestly, I bet all the other z-drugs have that stupid taste. Z drugs are a total waste of time. I find they dont even help me sleep. ANd when I take mroe to sleep I get that lame ass high they produce.

I wonder if something is actually being released in your saliva to make that taste. That sounds pretty gross though.

I don't know why this happens, I recently took lunesta (my doctor gave me a script for a month) and I took about 20 of them the first night (3mg), no high, totally straight, and that horrible fucking metal taste in my mouth.

They didn't help me sleep either.

Hell, I wouldn't take another one of these if someone payed me.

Not all Z drugs have that taste. I as on Zolpidem(Ambien) for years and never ever got a bad taste in my mouth so I have to object to that statement above. I went back to the doctor and he gave me ambien 12.5CR. It might work since I have taken about a year off of it.

All you have to do is eat something and brush your teeth it'll go away.

The bad taste in your mouth is the result of your a breakdown product of eZopiclone (Lunesta) produced in the liver and released through the saliva. It tastes nasty but it's harmless. Yes I need a citation.

Good to know.........The one thing that shocks me the most is how quickly after taking the lunesta the taste came on. It was literally 5 minutes after ingestion. Just throwing that out there.

I should also point out that Lunesta did NOTHING for my insomnia. I couldn't even trick myself to sleep with the placebo effect. Total waste of time in my opinion. When you go to your doc, put your foot down and make sure he doesn't waste your time with Lunesta/Sonata.

Yeah, the metallic tongue is just part of the overall experience with zopiclone. I don't think that it is possible to completely counteract it just by double/triple encapsulating the pill: strangely, the aftertaste that slowly develops after dosing is actually worse than the initial taste of the pure chemical by itself.

I hate how some antibiotics cause that metalic taste too. So gross. Im allergic to penicillin so any antibiotic I take is like 10x more expensive then the common ones prescribed. The doctor told me that the ones I have to take also have that metalic bad taste much more than normal antibiotics. From my personal experience I found brushing my teeth would take it away for a bit. It would come back though a while later. You said gum does not work? I found gum was the best way to help me cope with the bad taste.

Im not shur how the bad taste is with most z-drugs but if its anything like antibiotics then gum should help out a lot.