• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

B.A. v. B.S. in Science Field

Rogue Robot

Bluelight Crew
Ok, I have the option of graduating AT LEAST a year early with less headaches if I decide to take on a B.A. instead of a B.S. in my field (Earth Science). Now, some of the courses for the B.S. I have attempted, and I just do. not. get. the material even with a tutor.

Now, I will add this. I will be going to grad school at the university I am already attending. I have already discussed with the grad student acceptance committee my problems from many courses I took in 1999 where I, like others, developed a nasty drug habit and didn't show up to class. I did not tell them WHY I wasn't there since it's not their business, but I did tell them I had issues and have hinted to this. I will be receiving a Masters of Science in the same field.

Now, what I would like to know is...will the B.A. hurt me or will the M.S. override that a little?

I also have 2 minors (geography & women's studies), which are both liberal arts degrees at my school. However my main focus is a science-based degree.

Discuss, and help RR graduate. =D

Do you have to do a premasters year with the BA which you wouldn't have to do with the BS? Usually it's your highest attained degree which carries the most weight, so if you'll have your masters then the undergrad degree won't really matter very much. The only thing is the BS material may better prepare you for the MS material, since you're struggling to master the BS material as is right now you might find hopping from the BA to the MS to be quite the challenge. I suppose it depends on whether the BS courses you find tough are core requirements or not.

The only courses I will have to take as a MS student are upper level geology courses, some of which I have already taken as they are offered for undergrads, as well. Otherwise, a majority of the MS degree focuses on research rather than courses. So the course work is not something I'm really worried about.

Seems like the BA would be the way to go then, assuming you will finish the masters program. You might want to run all this by an advisor one last time before committing to a certain track.

I'm waiting on an e-mail from her and the graduate advisor and my undergrad advisor just to make sure. I've asked her the same questions, but I wanted to see if someone here had done something similar. :)

Yea Im sure that once you have a Masters that it will wont make much of a diff whether it was a BA or BS. Employers will be looking at the MA

I don't see why a BA will harm you if you get a masters. Most people focus on your highest degree (like wize said). If you read some PhD profiles, some of them studied other sciences before jumping into their current PhD work that sometimes is much different than their undergad.

Good luck Rogue. I need to make the phone call to the office and get the ball rolling for my degree too.

I'm curious though - did you need to take the GRE to move into the grad system? I know my adviser will tell me this, but I'm registering for the MCAT and I was going to do the GRE too just to go into a masters for a while. I know I need to lift my GPA, so I want to take some masters classes and then apply to med schools.

Yes, I have to take the GRE. That's all. My GPA overall is kind of lousy due to some grades i just CANNOT get rid of since they don't offer the courses anymore, but I've spoken to many of the staff on the grad candidate committee, and they said they don't have a problem with that, especially if it's a student that's not transferring from somewhere else.

Yes, I have to take the GRE. That's all. My GPA overall is kind of lousy due to some grades i just CANNOT get rid of since they don't offer the courses anymore, but I've spoken to many of the staff on the grad candidate committee, and they said they don't have a problem with that, especially if it's a student that's not transferring from somewhere else.

I hear ya. I went through about 2 years of not taking school seriously due to stupid BF issues. I want to kick myself in the ass for allowing myself to do that.

My school has grade forgiveness where you can retake a course that you FAILED two times. FAILED being the only way you can get rid of the grade. I retook organic chem and got an A. My first grade was a C. Because I didn't FAIL the fucking class I can't get the C removed. I can't believe the school doesn't see that as completely fucking retarded.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I guess it's the GRE for me too.