• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids cure for restless legs from opiate withdrawal?

i suggest lyrica. stuff is a fucking panacea.

Lyrica is also a decent suggestion (although IMO nothing beats Valium). The hot bath thing helped immensely for me too. I would not suggest using any dopamine agonists (Mirapex and the like) for opiate WD's though. There are better things, they can be quite dangerous if not used properly, and they also stimulate twitches & tics in certain individuals.

dude i feel for you. this is why they call it "kicking the habit". My dad is a physician and carefully and scarcely dosed me with .5-1mg alprazolam the first few times i went through serious withdrawals around 2 years older than you are now. the previous poster was correct about the doc reccomending rehab. maybe you should consider it if your serious, but the problem im facing currently is that there is no rehab that allows semi-abstinence. if you are anything like me at 16 then you probably just want to be a normal kid and have a normal few remaining years of highschool, then be able to drink and party like normal in college. if your're a true addict this is going to be so much tougher than you realize. your addiction will manifest in many ways, not just through drugs but through relationships, sex, tv, video games, interenet, etc. I dunno i wish i could go back to where you are now and make different choices. Im in my last year of undergrad at a state university studying accounting and I would be graduating this month if it werent for my 4 month stint of inpatient rehab I needed to get off H. even then I went back to it. You can read from my other recent posts im still in a dangerous zone. I took measures that suck but will likely save my life. ive moved back in with my parents, given up any money I had, stopped contact with many of my using buddies (although i was much more an isolated user) The restless legs will go away faster than you realize and they too are much more a mental phenomenon rather than biological. benzos really will help but be careeeefullllll

I think the consensus is basically as follows: barbituates and benzodiazepines are the BEST things for RLS (after of course actual opiate agonists) - I think that they are so effective because they reduce anxiety and irritation as well, so you don't reflect as much on your restlessness and the nature of your situation, although they are of course also muscle relaxants and as such do help your legs; after that immodium (loperamide) and naproxen and OTC type stuff; after that stretches, baths and distractions.

When this happened to me I had no access to benzos or barbs and could not even take immodium as I was on bupe and had heard bad things about ineffectiveness and precipitated withdrawal; I just took seroquel and that eventually put me out.

If you can't get the better stuff, there are lots of antihistamines sold OTC that induce fatigue - one is called I think 'diphenhydramine' or something like that.

S

Kratom helped me... RLS was the fucking worst part of WD's and I always gave in and relapsed because of it... Until last time. I took kratom every time I started getting RLS and it went away, I was still withdrawling, but without the RLS it made things SO much easier, especially since you can get sleep. I know kratom and opiates kinda have a cross tolerance, but you can do a quick taper on that as well as the original WD symptoms lessen.

I know people think kratom is bullshit, but I owe it my life.

Kava?

I'm using kratom to get off of my subs and was thinking about using a kava extract to help with the anxiety and RLS. I have used regular kava but I definitely wouldn't be able to choke down a cup of that shit without throwing it back up. Has anyone used kava with success for this? I basically just want an extract so that I can fill a couple of capsules and just swallow them

it is LACK of dopamine that causes RLS imo so taking anti psychotics, various antihistamines and nausea drugs (most are technically an anti psychotic) will make it worse.

Clonidine or tizanidine help. An alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonist is a good idea to help prevent the sypathetic storm coming from opioid withdrawal.

MXE works GREAT for tapering...it might have opioid activitiy of its own, it suppresses withdrawals, and stamps down on tolerance. Best used IV in small doses whenever withdrawals become too much, after a couple of days worth of attack dosing.

Magnesium oxide is not very bioavailable, chelated forms are best. Magnesium glycinate might be an idea. Glycine seems to potentiate NMDA receptors..but it has inhibitory effects of its own through strychnine sensitive GLyRs. Benzos never worked very well for the RLS from opioid withdrawal. Alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists, are the best for this, absolute fucking fantastic stuff, tizanidine is, or clonidine. They use another one here in the UK as opioid withdrawal therapy, lofexidine aka britlofex.

Lyrica is another good bet as has been said...gabapentin would do the same thing.

The question is how long did you take the Suboxone because I know If I take 2 mg of Suboxone 24 hours after my last dose then I take 2 mg four hours after I feel better then every other day for seven days I take 1 mg of Suboxone and then I am fine and I was kicking a good 180mg a day OxyContin habit, not snorting though

I agree gabapentin and lyrica work wonders. But u have to take way more than usual. I had taken a dose of about 3gr and ended up in the er I couldn't form my words and could barely walk. I knew what I had wanted to say but it just came out wrong almost like a stroke victim but all my labs were good. They didn't know I was in w/d though I'm sure they would have acted differently.

I had been taken gabapentin and pregabalin (when I had insurance) for quite a while off and on too. So just fair warning some people do have adverse effects.

Now I have been on a methadone rx for cp for about 4 months along with xanax and of course od'd when I first started my husband saved me by CPR thank god he is attentive to every noise and heard the change in my breathing. So there i go to the hospital for the 2nd time.

Now after all of this I finally had enough and stopped the done cold turkey at a "prescribed" 10mg 4/day

Two days later I have a seizure and I had been taking the forbidden gabapentin which I had a secret script for. Was it from the methadone or GABA not sure.

I'm still going strong though. Day 8 w/d finally fully kicked in. The anxiety and rls are the worst. My dr finally prescribed me some xanax and muscle relaxers on day 12. Now I am on day 13 and I wrapped my legs with ace wrap to sleep put my arm braces on and I slept all night. Oh yeah I took two xanax before bed. Hopefully things are going up from here. Just tired no energy to be expected and pain.

I have tried kratom too and it never worked. I got the speedy effects every time.

So, RLS is my absolute worst symptom in WD. I have tryed Lyrica 75mg and get some relief and I take clonzapam which helps me sleep a little. The lyrica worked a little as well, do I have to take more that 75 mg? I also use a TENS machine which can help if you can keep the electrodes stuck to your legs without kicking them off. I have some Mirapex and Requip on the way to try. I also have tried the gabaptin or gaba and no luck. I have not tried the clondine.

I guess from what I'm learning is that I have a very severe case of RLS or just one leg kicking. I cant seem to find anything to stop it and right now its the only thing stopping me from making it off opiates. Anything else I can try folks? Other than more opiates of course.

So, RLS is my absolute worst symptom in WD. I have tryed Lyrica 75mg and get some relief and I take clonzapam which helps me sleep a little. The lyrica worked a little as well, do I have to take more that 75 mg? I also use a TENS machine which can help if you can keep the electrodes stuck to your legs without kicking them off. I have some Mirapex and Requip on the way to try. I also have tried the gabaptin or gaba and no luck. I have not tried the clondine.

I guess from what I'm learning is that I have a very severe case of RLS or just one leg kicking. I cant seem to find anything to stop it and right now its the only thing stopping me from making it off opiates. Anything else I can try folks? Other than more opiates of course.

Try at least 150mg of lyrica and get some clonidine, do not mix these with benzos or you will most likely die due to respiratory depression (this is no joke benzos and lyrica cannot be used together safely), use one or the other.

Also get 2kg of epsom salts and pour them in a hot bath, lie in there for as long as possible.

What does Clonidine due exactly, just lower your bp? Why does Lyrica help with the RLS? Are you saying you can mix clonidine with the lyrica, just not with benzos right?

I have an extreme rls and the longest I've ever been able to put up with it has been a week. Any ideas on what the average time it lasts? I have friends that have come off much higher doses of opiates than me and only have full body shakes once or twice, but with me its every night and just my left leg, so strange. Guess I just got lucky. I did know that the baths help me quite a bit for sure, anything else you can think of off the top of your head?

I have not heard of lyrica working to any real extent... the only really effective treatment (aside from taking enough benzos to knock out all muscle response) is using a dopamine agonist (Mirapex or requip or similar)... of course these come with their own issues and really only provide enough of a Band-Aid to hep until (hopefully) your body resolves the problem on its own... when I quit I had RLS for 40 days... just as the above poster said it was the only thing that made me seriously consider the possibility of using again.. thank god I got through it...

oh and bananas... I started eating a banana every day at like 35 days and by day 40 it was gone... I have no idea if that was the deciding factor...

I have the mirapex and requip to try but I'm honestly scared to death. I think I have actually broken my toe several times!!! I think maybe why the banana helped was the potassium it gave you, but I certainly don't think I can take 30 days of RLS that would be awful, how did you deal with that did you just not sleep? I never had the RLS until I had a car accident and was given tramadol which I later found out is like an ssri but I haven't taken those for awhile. My doctor has not seen anything like it before and had me on traditional opiates and now I'm doing a 12 day taper, tomorrow being the last day. Honestly, I don't think there is anyway around this stuff I'm just going to have to go through the RLS unless the mirapex/requip works. Man opiates are good and bad, such a slippery slope. Thanks for the reply, if anyone else has found anything that stopped RLS for them I would love to hear about your story.

bananas and/or potassium suppliments help, tradtional restlegs can be caused by a lack of magnesium, so find foods rich with magnesium, they have better absorbtion than magnesium pills, also hylands restless legs work decently, they dont cure it %100, but it can make it tolerable, it's available otc pretty much anywhere in the US ( walgreens, walmart)..

Clonidine works wonders & personally made me sleep like a rock. You have to be careful with how much of that you take as well because it really drops your BP. In a big way. If you can get ahold of some benzos they worked wonders for rls, they prescribe klonopin /clonazepam for rls around here. & no shit, bananas & broccoli for potassium kick ass.