• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids cure for restless legs from opiate withdrawal?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed - after skimming, I don't think so - so I'll continue:

Clonazepam, otherwise known as Klonopin, is a benzo that could prove quite useful as far as restless legs are concerned. Here's the reason:

Clonazepam is the drug of choice for certain sleep-studies involving people who sleepwalk, sleeptalk, etc.. The reason for this is that Clonazepam - unlike other benzos - actually INHIBITS the "carry-out" response between the mind and body, while one is asleep. So, if someone has RLS, and it is getting in the way of falling asleep, I'd say Clonazepam would be a perfect benzo for the job. Acetylcholine inhibition by benzos in general is one thing; the inhibition of the body's physical "tics" that are uncontrollable by conscious attempts, is limited to just Clonazepam, aka Klingon-opin. or KingKongopin.

Klonopin has also worked for me for RLS. There are also leg cramp meds over the counter you can buy. If none of that works, then more opiates would do the trick :)

For me, a moderately high dose of clonazepam always worked wonders.

this is a copy/paste of mine from a thread back in february last year.

there's a few different medical(prescription) and alternative treatments available for this.

Medical Treatments

one of the original treatments involve a dopamine precursor such as carbidopa/levodopa. there is a big problem with augmentation with these treatments though. what augmentation is you have that good nights sleep but the symptons will have worsened the next day. these treatments tend to only be effective for a short period of time ranging from 2-3 hours. not the best of options, but an option.

you also have the option of dopamine agonists such as Ropinirole, pramipexole, pergolide and cabergoline though these are not yet available in australia according to the site i grabbed this from. these are newer drugs and are less like to cause augmentation.

next you have the benzo family, particularly clonazepam. the problem? you don't really want to be trading one addiction for another. if you choose benzo's make it a short course.

anticonvulsant drugs like gapapentin and carbamazepine are also available for prescription. not much is known about how these work in RLS, but they may be helpful to people in whom dopaminergic drugs or opiates have not been effective or are contraindicated.

Alternate treatments can range from anything like yoga exercises, acupuncture, massage therapy, herbal medicines (vitamins and minerals). these treatments arent necessarily for everybody and aren't always going to be effective though but are well worth a try. who doesn't like a good massage?

i have a good page bookmarked that i have used in the past. it's an australian site but methods incorporated can be used universally.

the site is here

I have found Devils Claw Extract to help massively with this.

Agreed it's the worst part of withdrawal.

A hottub- stay in it the whole withdrawal if you can- a hot water bath always helps me during opiate w/d

You could always paint a little face on each thigh, with a somewhat "sarcastic" or "defiant" expression..

That way, when the sarcastic, defiant little bastards start acting up, just punch 'em! In the FACE! Break that little shithead's nose!

If that doesn't stop them from being restless..then call their mothers.

That would eliminate their senseless shenanigans.

(p.s. - I AM TOTALLY KIDDING. DO NOT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY.)

My Method

What i found works for me:

1. Drink a few beers.

2. Take 3mg Clonidine. (Easy to get prescribed) and 200mgs IBprofin (not too much because of the beer)

3. Long hot shower.

4. Air dry with A/C and fan.

*of course try to get Suboxone or Subutex (harder to get)

The last time I came off of OC (120mg/day) I had horrible, full-body RLS. Some of the absolute worst shit to go through. I'm glad to hear some advice on how to deal with it when I try going off again.

^ that is meant for restless legs syndrome but im not sure it pertains to opiate w/d's since they're more severe than regular restless legs..
BUT
i didn't read the whole thread and everyones responses but my advice is..
-clonidine & vistaril/atarax (these help, but only take vistaril or atarax if you have clonidine also because they are antihistamines and have a chance they could make them a little worse but they are calming/ relaxing and will help you get some sleep especially combined with clonidine)
-BENZOS i recommend clonazepam for during the day and temazepam for sleep but everyone has their preferences but benzos help tremendously
- And of course the obvious.. more opiates (but if you're in w/d you are either A) quitting or B) can't get any).. so this might not help..
- Also tramadol and Immodium can help too.

Last edited:
Tie Bed sheet off on each leg. Or something to cut off the circulation. Thats some jail house no other option stuff though.

since you cross posted this at Shroomery I can't be bothered to answer twice. Read that one, I didn't waste a half an hour giving you my best advice to have to do it twice.

^ that is meant for restless legs syndrome but im not sure it pertains to opiate w/d's since they're more severe than regular restless legs.....

Actually its not only meant for "regular" restless leg syndrome its actually prescribed for people with parkinsons disease who are the people with some of the most restless bodies on earth. I have a bottle of 0.5 mg mirapex and when I take even just one pill, maybe one and a half, and im in withdrawal, it will not only take care of my RLS 100%, it will knock me the fuck out. Especially if I take 2 or more pills(which I pretty much never have to do, and I don't ever remember taking more than 2 pills).

Mirapex works better for opiate related RLS than anything else I have tried(other than more opiates) and I have tried ALOT of shit, including valerian root, propranolol, OTC sleep aids, etc....

I also reccomend a high dose of any benzo(especially the hypnotic ones....temzepam, triazolam, etc...). Or whatever dose will help knock you out, cause when your asleep you dont notice any RLS.

oh man...i hate rls...got it REAL bad a few times. like most other posters said, a hot bath does seem to work, i didnt take any otc meds or anything...i took a few muscle relaxers...im not really sure what they were. haha i really didnt care at the time! but anyway the muscle relaxers didnt seem to help at all. i think it may have gotten worse. well good luck to ya bro. my legs are hurtin just thinkin bout this shit!

All good suggestions. All I can say is alcohol can go both ways.

or

Work well at first then bad later, hit or miss.